Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Let's hear about your first bike.....

To disable ads, please log-in.

Mine was a black and yellow Huffy (fixed gear, of course!).
    What was your first bike?
    "You can't kill the Rooster"..........David Sedaris

Classic little red tricycle of course!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

ditto. I had a little red tricyle too. It could drive like a car, do K turns & U turns.
    Of course I always signaled when I turned and parked it carefully.

My mother was learning to drive when I was 5 so I was usually in the car during her lessons with my terrified father.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Funny you should mention that, I was just thinking about that today. My first 2-wheeler came from Santa. I think I was 4 yo. It was red and blue and had training wheels. My cousin took me out on the road in front of my grandparents' without the training wheels to teach me how to ride. I ended up with a scraped knee, ruining my new that morning tights.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Classic little red tricycle of course!

I totally forgot about that bike! Probably because I rode it inside the house and then progressed to using it as a scooter (stepping on the platform between the back wheels). Shiny dark red.

First 2 wheeler was my sister's old Schwinn. Fixed gear with foot brakes.

I refused to have training wheels. My first ride on a real bike was on my friend's pink bike with training wheels. The neighborhood boys laughed at me, and I refused to let my parents put any on my sister's old bike. And I demanded they teach me to ride asap.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I remember riding this blue thing - a Columbia or something, I don't remember. But it had upright handlebars, and I tied a rope from one grip to the other, and those were my "reigns" and I used those to steer the bike. Because, I didn't want a stinkin' ol' bike! I wanted a HORSE!!!

Does a Big Wheel count as a bike? Aside from that, my first bike was a giant Rincon about 7 years ago............ I was 31.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

My bike is my horse until I can afford to have another one.

I gave up the bikes for oh, 20 years once I inherited my sister's pony. Pony > Schwinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    I remember riding this blue thing - a Columbia or something, I don't remember. But it had upright handlebars, and I tied a rope from one grip to the other, and those were my "reigns" and I used those to steer the bike. Because, I didn't want a stinkin' ol' bike! I wanted a HORSE!!!
    Regina, when i was a little kid, i didn't need a horse. I WAS a horse.
    I had found a couple of sticks painted black, with only white primer on the bottom. They were my front legs!
    I galloped all over the yard (my pasture) whinnying and trying to eat the grass.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I had learned how to ride a bike on one of the neighborhood kids' bikes. I think I learned it in an hour or so. I rememer feeling the movement all again before going to sleep (that happens with every new movement I have learned, like swimming in the sea for the first time) - then later on I had a red regular bike (no gears that I can think of). We moved to a house on a hill so it wasn't much fun.

We rode hobby horses with heads made of old socks all over the neighborhood playing cowboys and zorro. How embarrassing thinking back.

Later I used my mom's 5-speed but that was hellish up our hill (couldn't shift under pressure), and what a new dimension when the first mountain bikes came out - 18 speed! Wow!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Smile

I believe mine came from Santa appx age 4 and it was pink w/ a banana seat and training wheels of course. I later broke one of the training wheels and had to learn to ride it right. Later appx age 9 I got my red 3 speed which is at my mom's house now. Needs tires inflated, but ready to go. At my grandma's, my tricycle was purple and I loved riding it all over the old house. Lots of good memories of that Jennifer

I probably had a tricycle. The first bike I remember having was a Strawberry Shortcake bike with a banana seat! I was a late bloomer and didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 8. I was convinced I would fall and break my leg! Once I learned to ride a bike my bike was so old, my Pawpaw bought me a new one.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Not counting any tricycles....

1st bike: Blue Schwinn Foot Brake Freewheel
    2nd: Red Raleigh 3 speed with Brooks Saddle (if I only knew then)
    3rd: Gitane Red 10 speed Road style bike, now we're talkin'
    4th: Mercier Blue same as above with a coupla Campy bits
    5th: The Trek 420 I'm named for
    and so on....
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I had a red tricycle, which I rode obsessively everywhere until it was passed down to my brother (who also rode it everywhere). My first bike was a blue Schwinn with a sparkly banana seat and those big tall handlebars, coaster brake single speed. I had saved up for half of it and my parents paid the other half. It had training wheels, but not for long. I remember riding in a cow pasture a lot, and that the dried up cow-pies were smooth to ride on.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I never had a tricycle. My first bike was a red Schwinn Fair Lady Stingray, a single-speed with a banana seat, coaster brakes, and a sissy bar. Very much like this one only mine was red.

I still think all bikes ought to be red.