Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    A lipoma isn't a cyst at all; it is an amorphous blob of unencapsulated fat.
    We need Lise or Doc. Did I get my description of a lipoma right?
    I may not be Lise or Doc, But Yes you did get the description right. I've the pleasure of growing fat from a lipoma come through our fat research lab. (Don't all get grossed out at once. Every biologist has to make her living somehow)

Looks the same as any other fat. it's NOT malignant. It will grow out but will not invade like cancer.

the cells just undergo mitosis a lot more than usual is all. They're NOT immortal like cancer cells

bcipam!

That's wonderful news about the cyst! Not so wonderful news about arthritis... But more than wonderful news about being encouraged to ride! YAY FOR YOU!
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

You might ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist (which your insurance then might pay for) who can design an exercise program for you. After my cycling accident I had a problem with my SI joint and general back weakness. The PT gave me a back strengthening program which I found more helpful than general yoga/pilates classes since due to the nature of my injuries not all exercises one might do in a gym or yoga class were appropriate. At her suggestion, I purchased a balance ball which came with a workout DVD and found that also did wonders for my back and core, and can be done in the convenience of your own home. Good luck with healing. At least you can still ride, and at least surgery is off the table right now. I think eating healthy food and doing the right exercise (i.e. what your med experts say is safe) will be good for your to heal, and perhaps slow the progression of your arthritis. Perhaps others with more experience in this area can chime in. Healing thoughts are going your way!

oh gawd,
    i had a lipoma for almost 20 years right on my spine. finally it started getting so big that it was showing.. so i went to a surgeon and had it cut out.
    It was the noisiest operation. I kept cracking jokes because of all the noise
    the surgeon was making cutting through gristle. "I'm a hen that would take hours to cook, talk about tough!"
    He wasn't amused. he said i shouldn't have waited so long (and contradicted the doctor that said to wait)

Listen to Triskelion girl, she's right. They are finding that people recover from all sorts of back injuries on their own. Exercise with a focus on posture and core training might be all you need. As a bicyclist, you are already dedicated to fitness, so you can heal yourself.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Pam - I just read your post and Im so pleased for you that the cyst is benign but sorry to hear about your back problems.

Pilates and Yoga sound like great ideas and Im so happy that riding is a good thing for you.

Take Care

Leslie
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V