Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

The coldest I've ever ridden (commuted) in was 19 degrees F.
    I have a ~7.25 mile ride and within 1 mile, I have a long uphill, so I warm up pretty quickly on that!
    I use a HeadSweats skull cap and a Sugoi helmet cover and for really cold days, a neoprene face mask (newer ones are lined with fleece...I gotta get me one of those!). Not-so-cold days, I can go with just a balaclava pulled up over my chin/nose. It's easier to vent (i.e., shed) the balaclave when you need to breath, I find.
    Hands require lobster gloves (3-fingered) and maybe a liner.
    The rest I just layer, and try to make sure I leave room in the panniers to carry those layers in the afternoon if/when it warms up some!
    But...I'm out of practice, having not commuted in some time. So all of this is from last year!

... and it never fails, after whining about the temp and the ice, I pass a young man on his bike this morning on the way to work. No helmet, no hat, no gloves, jeans and sneakers with a light weight jacket and the temp around oh, 15 -20 degrees. Riding his box store bike through the frozen slush. Makes me feel like a total weenie! bikerHen

Thanks Tater for your info. It is good information. We are now looking at "haze" in the Salt Lake Valley. That will keep a yukky blanket over town and keep the temps low. I hope the "haze" doesn't stay around too long....It can get really depressing. I will evaluate my "layering" and try to commute again if the temps hit mid-20's in the morning. I leave at 4:15am, so I don't worry too much about traffic at that hour, but if the "haze" settles in, I won't tempt fate...

I am in a contest with other teachers so I may ride when it is colder than it already has been. We are a stubborn group...lol So far no one has bailed. I will admit they closed school for two days.