Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5K race walk report -- I got hardware!!!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Background: I started biking in 1999 or so, but gave it up after getting hit by a car in 2001. Got a bike again in 2004. Did a sprint triathlon in 2004, quit training in the winter. I did the minimum I needed to do to finish the sprint tri in 2005, quit training in the winter.

I signed up for a beginner's walking/running program for women in August 2006. When I started, I weighed more than 250 pounds and I couldn't walk a mile. After 4 weeks, we did a timed mile, and it took me 19:15 just to walk one mile.

I was so slow that I was dead last virtually every week. One time one of the instructors asked me if I got lost I was so far behind. But I didn't quit. I gradually started improving. At the end of the program, I finished a 5K in October in 47:15 -- 25th in my age group of 105 in the competitive walk division.

--------------------------------

Today's race: Jingle Bell 5K -- competitive walk division

This is a fun event because everyone wears jingle bells that make noise as you stroll along. I wanted to see how much I could improve from October. I had a goal in my mind to finish in under 44 minutes, but didn't know if I could do it.

I started out strong and really pushed myself. The course had some rolling hills. The only person who passed me on the course was a man.

I finished in 40:21! (4.6 mph pace, if my calculation is correct) That's a 7-minute improvement in less than two months. I was first in my age group, second woman and third overall.

I GOT A MEDAL!!! Me!!! I am still in shock. (Gee, I wonder what people would think if I wore it around the office Monday. )
    Last edited by Offthegrid; 12-02-2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Congratulations! By all means, wear the medal at work.

Congratulations!

Yes, wear it to work.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Congratulations!! That's so cool. Great story, great race.

Very cool! And WEAR THAT MEDAL TO WORK!!!!!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Very cool! And WEAR THAT MEDAL TO WORK!!!!!!
    I fourth/fifth or sixth it "WEAR THE MEDAL TO WORK"

I won a "gold" at my first adult swim meet and you can bet it was hanging on a peg by my desk!

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

WAY TO GO!!!!!! Great Job!
    Did you get a shirt too? If so I say wear the medal and the shirt to work tomorrow.

I always wear my race shirts to school on the Monday after....most times nobody even notices, but it makes me happy....

Keep up the great work.

Ruth

Great Job. I'm so impressed with your dedication. Keep up the good work

WOW!!!

What a success story! You did such a great job. Be very proud of your accomplishment.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That's superb OTG!! So very happy for you, and you should be so proud knocking sooo much time off your personal best time!!! A PR and you won, to boot! Way to go!!!!

And, uh yea, wear the medal to work!!! Show that hardware off!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Great Job OTG!!!! Congratulations!

Very awesome ! congratulations

Congratulations on your success. Keep up the competition. It is always satisfying to compete, especially if you are working on improving your own performance.

I did our local Jingle Bell 5K today. My time was 41.27--a little slower than my last couple of walks but it was very cold and I never even took off my parka. I came in 2nd in my age group (51-60). My husband came in at the same time and was first in his age group. We both got very nice small trophies.

Some of the older women are faster than some of the men! There is one running competitor in my age group who comes in at between 21 and 22 minutes every time.
    You should never stop learning: :

What good is hardware.....

.....IF.....you hardly wear it?

You did good girl, wear it proud!

Yay for you!
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

What an Improovemnet! What a fantastic result!

Be proud of yourself! WE'RE proud of you! WELL DONE! And WEAR that medal!
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log