Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Anyone going to WALK this winter?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know it seems like everyone here runs when they are not biking. I can't run, it's too hard on my knees and ankles. But I do plan to do my walking when the snow flies this winter. Anyone else do fitness walking?

I don't plan on biking when the roads have ice or snow. I just can't bear the thought of pedaling in the basement.
    Last winter, before I started biking, I used to briskly walk 3 miles almost every morning, come snow or ice. Even at 10 degreesF I went out. Sometimes I needed my YakTrax type thingies on my boots.
    I feel I actually have much smarter clothes for walking this year, because I've gotten some great layering biking stuff this Fall, thin merino layers, balaclava, good warm tights, windjacket, etc. Last year I wore big HEAVY bulky sweaters and scarves and stuff that I feel would weigh way too much now that I've been used to biking. I've gotten smarter about cold weather clothing layers, thanks to biking. I also think that biking over the past 6 months has improved my circulation, as I don't seem to get as cold as I used to.

I live in a small rural town with lots of pretty routes to walk. My 3 miler takes me down Main St., past the schools and library and down a little wooded road too. Takes me about 50 minutes if I recall, but I suspect I might be faster this winter, with my new biking leg muscles.
    My most beautiful walk last year was during a heavy snow falling with huge flakes on me and a 6 inch white blanet on the ground already. No one was out on the streets that morning, no cars, it was totally silent and beautiful. The only sound was my mukluk boots crunching in the snow. Only the snow plow man passed me several times and we waved, the only brave souls out that morning. I looked like a snowman when I got home, and dh had to get out the broom to brush me off on the porch!

Anyone else do walking for exercise when they can't bike?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm planning to this winter Lisa. Part of it is that my dogs are desperately needing to go for a walk and we've been neglecting them since we've been riding so much. We live in the hills and plan to take them up into the hills for an hour hike a couple of times a week. I enjoy the change in scenery from biking but I do find myself wishing I was on my MTbike from time to time.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I can't run yet (soon), so I do all walking. You can get a SERIOUSLY good workout walking; I come home drenched in sweat. I tend to get bored walking, though. I usually listen to music or a podcast.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

I have to agree, Lisa! One of my favorite things is to walk in the snow, and it is a terrific workout. I definitely plan to keep walking all winter, just as I have been doing for years. It will be interesting to see what the effect of cycling for the last 5 months will have on walking. I also live in a rural area on the edge of 12,000 acres of watershed property with miles of logging trails and roads. It's also a great place for cross-country skiing. I also walk at lunchtime at work in a fairly busy office park location, but it's not as nice as home.

I plan to use the Schwinn Johnny G spinner exercise bike, walk, cross-country ski whenever possible, lift weghts, and use my Nordic Track ski machine (which I love). I used the Nordic Track at 5 AM this morning for 45 minutes, and sweated like crazy! I also have quite a few exercise DVDs, and just received some new yoga and Pilates DVDs ealier this week.

As a matter of fact, I was trying to decide earlier today how I am going to fit all these different things in with work and sleep and all that stuff!

snow? it that the white stuff on top of Mt Baldy?
    I do walking whenever the Santa Ana winds are in full force. Riding into a 20 mph wind with 50 mph gusts is so not fun. I just bought some new shoes just for walking.

I use the treadmill in the winter when it's too dark or nasty outside for riding. I can't run either, so I've got a special treadmill designed for hikers - it has a 25% grade. So I can just slowly slog uphill for 90 minutes, gain 3,000 feet elevation and burn 700-1000 calories, depending on my speed (which is usually pretty slow - 2.5 mph) I find this good training for my spring hiking trips. Going fast without the incline doesn't get my heart rate up at all without jogging, so the incline is the way to go for me.

I'm a winter walker too. I ride year-round, but only in daylight and usually only when the roads are dry. That means that my off-season riding is limited to the weekends.

Although I do go to the gym a couple of times a week, I walk outside on most days. My walks range from 60 to 90 minutes, day or night (lit up by flashing lights if I walk after dark...). I used to ride my bike on a trainer, but I stopped that two years ago when I realized how much I hated it. My riding now is on the road and not indoors. Guess it's a good thing that (fast) walking is something that works for me.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 12-01-2006 at 06:05 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

I think it's important to walk all year round, otherwise, the big O is going to get you.
    I try to walk a mile every day i am at work. I started this campaign in October.
    I walk when we have breaks or at lunch if i am fortunate enough to get a lunch break.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I'm a walker too Lisa. I love winter! It's my dogs main excersice so we get out at least twice a week, usually 3 times. I bought snow shoes last winter so I could walk them in the woods. Only thing missing now is snow...
    Dar

Walk? What is that? I'm unfamiliar with the word. Snowshoe, yes, if only the snow was closer.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Walk - you betcha

Yeah, I walk a lot in the winter. walks around the neighborhood - out into the national forest behind my house; hikes up the mountain with and without snowshoes (depending on depth of snow). It's a good way to get outside when the daylight is limited

Yep, I walk with and without doggie company. During winter I get off BART (rapid transit here) 2-3 stops early and walk around the lake, well part of the lake anyway. That gets a good half hour brisk walk in 2-3 times a week.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Wow, so great to hear about so many women walking as well as biking!
    I'm ready for the winter. Clear roads=bike. Icy roads=walk.
    Lisa

Snowshoeing is a complete blast! Much more fun than tramping through deep snow.

Is snowshoeing slippery if you walk on say 3" or 4" of snow over an icy layer?
    Lisa