Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

If I can't cycle then I'll buy cycling stuff instead..

To disable ads, please log-in.

After not cycling for over 15 years I started commuting to work in August and was doing really well until the Seattle November weather put me off. It's snowing again as I write.

Since there's no way I was venturing out by bike in the ice and snow I decided to shop for when I can start again, and after much online browsing I ordered this bag/panner online. Has anyone seen or bought this brand before? Is it Performance bike's own brand?

Cool

Don't you need 2 of them so the load is balanced? Maybe you are more clever at balancing than I am.

Yes, Seattle is having a terrible winter this year. Move to Phoenix. We had a bit of frost this morning.

I quite often ride with just one and haven't noticed any problem. But then, I suppose it depends on how much weight you put in it!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I use the Performance Transit Pro (front) panniers for commuting. I use them as smaller rear panniers. I frequently use just one, and have no problems.

I've been curious about this Metro Pannier that you just got, I'd love to read your impressions on it when you put it to use - especially the size - is it big enough to haul clothes and a towel? - and ease of use.

I'm not crazy about the attachment of the Pro's - I find them difficult to remove from the rack - particularly when it's cold and I'm wearing gloves and my hands are less than nimble. Consequently, I leave the panniers on 24/7 and pack my stuff in small canvas bags which I just remove from the panniers at my work (I park in a secured parking garage, so I've never had secruity problems....although I think a blinky light was lifted from the daisy chain one day).

I, too, am wailing and gnashing my teeth. A few times a year I try to fool people into thinking I have some judgement, and even though it's still just raining, that forecast for freezing rain in the afternoon and 2-12 inches of snow overnight made me decide to break out the car this morning.

Hoping that the plowpeople can make it passable on the morrow, though! I decided not to dump $70 on a studded tyre (gotta spell it that way 'cause it would go on my Dutch bike) because in the past five years there have been perhaps 12 days they'd have made the difference between ridable and not but right now

I'd planned to use just the one pannier most of the time so I hope I manage to balance okay. I do have a single grocery pannier that I thought I'd use on the other side when I have more to carry.

I use my bike to run errands on the way home from work and at the weekend so I wanted a bag I could take on and off and carry easily that would look more like a normal bag. I'll see how I get on with the attachment - if it's too much of a hassle it won't be so useful to me.

I'll post a review when it arrives next week.

I've been riding with just one pannier, the Arkel Bug, for a couple years now, without any problem. see http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/bac...asp?fl=1&site= . It's designed to take off and use as a backpack and frankly until this fall I thought I made the wrong pannier choice because I almost never use it as a backpack. But I've finally made the plunge into almost-night riding home -- I ride home through the neighborhoods and on the bike paths near my office, then put my bike on a bus as soon as I hit the stretch of busy road, and that's the one time I find it handy to whip the Bug off and on my bike, and just throw her on my back for a short stretch from when I get off the bus til I'm on a long, climbing bike path again.

Punch line -- no problem with balance at all, and I pack that pannier with breakfast, lunch, papers, clothes, workout gear, you name it. You'll be fine with a one-sided load.

Marcy

I ride with one pannier all of the time. My bike is my car and so I have grocery panniers to hold whatever I need. I go to school with it and I just load by backpack with my books and computer into one side- no problem. When I go grocery shopping I do the same thing. My body automatically adjusts for it and I don't even have to think about it. The only problem is tipping once I am off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    I ride with one pannier all of the time. My bike is my car and so I have grocery panniers to hold whatever I need. I go to school with it and I just load by backpack with my books and computer into one side- no problem. When I go grocery shopping I do the same thing. My body automatically adjusts for it and I don't even have to think about it. The only problem is tipping once I am off the bike.
    The only time I ever have trouble is when I am carrying a gallon of milk in the grocery pannier and nothing to balance it. I definately have to be careful at stops and getting on and off to keep from tipping in a hurry! What a mess that would make. I also don't use my road bike for groceries, I use my daughter's mtb. I think the upright position makes it a little easier.

I also have put stuff on only one side, though now I've got the Xtracycle I don't need to.
    I'm also thinking that the weather forces have decided that I mocked them by saying it wasn't bad enough often enough here for studded tyres. Foot of snow heading our way, with 30 mph winds... though I reckon even studded tyres wouldn't be enough for that