Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I love you guys

To disable ads, please log-in.

I can't tell you how much better I feel just reading these posts! I am also a UTI sufferer. I didn't know there were so many of us (from all age groups) and so many cyclists too. Cycling doesn't seem to be the cause of my problem, but I'm glad that the new saddle I bought happens to have the cut-out!

I'm in the group that takes the cranberry capsules. Most pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, etc) have a store brand and then they sell name brands like Nature's Way. I take a couple of those every morning, and a few extra during the day if things don't feel quite right. The main problem I have is not taking in enough fluids...if I get busy I put off visiting the ladies'. The more liquid you drink, the more you, um, process out, and the better off you are.

I wish that all bike routes had handy facilities...sometimes I just deal and go into the Dunkin Donuts tights and all rather than suffer the pain later. Thanks for all of your sharing on the subject!

Glad I found this thread. I'm just getting over a UTI - menopause - tissues thinner, saddle rubbing. I was not a water drinker - toooooo much soda. Now drinking lotssss of water, maybe a soda every other day. Readjusted my saddle(Trek 7100 hybrid). I had cranberry juice in the house - but just 27%. Do you think the cranberry pills are sufficient or just drink a glass of cranberry juice daily - my internist said just drink water that I don't need the extra calories(she's a sweetheart ). I might get a new saddle - I was looking at the ones with the cut-outs. Another thing I'm not wearing cycling shorts - I'm a bigger gal - I'm only riding about an hour to 1 1/2 hours a day.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Dunno how I missed this thread in Real Time...
    I love cranberry ( or anything sour) but I have also had success with a bunch of fresh parsley (flat leaf but I imagine curly would be fine too ) simmered in a quart of water for 15 min. Drink when it has cooled (obviously) as quickly as possible (if not all at once).
    It also works with nettle tea (but you have to use fresh nettles).
    Both of these taken at the very first sign. Which you get good a recognising after a few bouts as we all know.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

If you learn to ride on your butt bones (ischial tuburosities) it will help the urethra (the tube connecting your bladder to the outside body). Infections usually start by ascending up the urethra to the bladder. That doesn't mean the infections are caused by biking. Riding on your butt bones will also improve your performance. I suggest a "training lesson". You need to keep your upper back straight, but rotate your hips forward. Do not ride on your pubic bones. Take those hot bike shorts or biking underwear off right after you ride. Urinate frequently when you ride. If you don't need to go after a ride, force it out. A UTI is not UTI until a culture collectd by a catheter or directly from the bladder by needle, grows pathogenic bacteria

In general for UTIs, wipe from front to back. Drink lots of water. Wear cotton underwear, thigh highs not pantyhose, and loose cotton clothes as aften as possible. Urinate after sex. And...Don't stop riding. Its good for you.

Trader Joes sells blueberry juice, and it's not half bad.

Bladder infections

Dear Chimiska,
    Your bladder infections might be the natural consequence of aging. As a woman ages the mucous membranes that line the vagina and urethra thin out a bit and can make you a little more vulnerable to infections. You might consider having a chat with your gynecologist or nurse practitioner about this. I also had this problem and my gyn recommended an Estring device. This is an intra-vaginal plastic ring that contains a very small amount of estrogen that leeches out and helps maintain the integrity of the membranes in this area. It stopped the infections and helped ease some other menopause related problems.

The other remedy, as several others have pointed out, might be the saddle you are using. You may have to experiment with either different types or different adjustments. A good bike shop will help you with this.
    Good Luck,
    La V.