Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    I wore them commuting today and was very comfortable in the 32 degree, 20 degree wind chill weather this morning. .
    Kudos to you for commuting on the bike today. I could hardly handle walking 10 minutes to school for something.

TE people suggested Sugio midzero tights for me. But theyr'e all out in my size. They look kind of extra high in the rise though. My Cannondales already come up to my ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    The Bicycle Place is about as close to being in the District as possible without actually being in the District.
    Yeah, yeah, it just happens to be on the *other side* of the District from me. It's ok. I can handle it.

I think a look to the forecast is in order for times. The route sounds good to me.

I just plotted some possible routes for when I go home to Georgia in a few weeks. One of them has a whopping 71 feet of climbing over about 23 miles.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Yeah, great that you commuted! I haven't commuted since October 30th!

Just FYI - on Sunday's the BP doesn't open until 12 noon. There is their regular Sunday a.m. ride that departs at 8:30 (unless it's wet/raining/snowing, or below 28 degrees) and return around 10:45ish to hang, chat, drink coffee, and schmooze until the shop opens at noon. That ride is a true hammer ride - I think the term they use is "spritited." Hopefully, in the Spring, I'll be in shape enough to hang with the B-group again. Aicabsolut - that might good a good group training ride for you to get in with.

I'd also be up for a casual ride. Still hoping/planning to get my mtb out on the C&O.

Well, considering the pony is stabled right in my living room, it's never entirely "hung up for the winter" I fully intend to keep it lubed and ready to go if the weather's good and I get an itch to ride, so yeah, I'd certainly be up for a towpath ride or a casual road ride. I think you're right, though, Nicole, that the relative shade makes the C&O chillier. Plus, there's no hills to get the muscles burning. If the forecast is for sun and at least 50 degrees, I could easily be coaxed out.

That said, I am looking forward to getting back out in the woods. I spent so much time on the bike this year, I'm starting to really miss some of the places where I used to hike!
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 12-05-2006 at 03:21 AM.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Are the BP rides always Sundays? That would work out for me in the spring some as my team rides will be Saturdays. I hope I can keep up too. At least the B group for my training rides will be no-drop. They say the testosterone tends to get the better of the A group anyway and a base training route could turn into a race.

Kali, I came upon some roads that would be great for your cross bike in Cville. SEemed to be pretty good packed dirt and crushed gravel. Some of the main roads out there are dirt so they are in decent shape. If you ever make a trip down there, I'll send you a map. (Some of those are flatter too, which is why I wanted to take them, but no, had to stop and turn around when the pavement ran out).

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    I just plotted some possible routes for when I go home to Georgia in a few weeks. One of them has a whopping 71 feet of climbing over about 23 miles.
    I did a ride on the Eastern Shore in October: 28 miles and 140 feet of climbing. That's why I want the Seagull to be my first (metric) century. Hopefully the weather will be better in '07.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    That's why I want the Seagull to be my first (metric) century.
    You could also try the Asthma Ride in June. I'm going to try to do the century this year; did the metric in 2005.

http://marylandlung.org/content/1/2/12.html

Kali, I came upon some roads that would be great for your cross bike in Cville. SEemed to be pretty good packed dirt and crushed gravel. Some of the main roads out there are dirt so they are in decent shape. If you ever make a trip down there, I'll send you a map. (Some of those are flatter too, which is why I wanted to take them, but no, had to stop and turn around when the pavement ran out).
    That would be great, Catherine I've been trying to find some double-track or fire roads around here to ride, but most of it seems to be either private property or more technical than I'm ready for. I could easily make a vacation out of biking in C'ville combined with some Civil War site-seeing.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Yes - the BP rides leave every sunday at 8:30 a.m. We can talk to the folks about it on the 17th (I think there's a waiver to sign - in case you crash. Dang lawyers! Oh wait....you are one!! )

I've heard that the June Asthma ride uses the Seagull route and 9 times out of 10 has MUCH better weather! That sounds like a winner to me! But that said, DH and I will probably be on the Eastern Shore next October for the Seagull. We've been there for the last 2 years in miserable weather....we figure statistics are on our side for eventually having nice weather. It was gorgeous in '00 when I first did it!

Here you go, Kali: http://routeslip.com/map.php?map=15929

It's a really long loop, but gives you a good idea about what roads are good.

Although L on Boonesville at the top of the map sucks, it's made worth it to do that left hand side (to Browns Gap Tpke) that direction, because you can really fly. Anything else is probably fine backwards, though I like Simmons Gap (right hand side) the N-S direction too.

Ridge Rd (next major left after Millington off Garth) is also dirt. I haven't checked it out, but it's supposed to be a good running route at least. It ends at Free Union a ways south of the post office.

Garth can be pretty hilly around Free Union (especially past it towards town), and it can be a busy road. Simmons Gap next highest for traffic, particularly near bottom end.

(You have to zoom in pretty far to see most street names--it's also a good idea to know the road numbers. Sometimes signs are names. Sometimes only numbers. Boonesville = 810 I think).

Thanks very much, Catherine. That is a long route, but it looks like it'd be possible to modify it or break it up.

I haven't been to Monticello since I was a kid, so I'm definitely thinking this route could be part of a pretty cool vacation next summer. A little Revolutionary history, a little Civil War history, a little biking... Any really cool coffee shops or cafes in C'ville?

You don't have to go that whole loop of course. It's easy to break up, since you can turn back to Free Union from a lot of places. (that road is about the same up or back). Taking Markwood instead of Simmons Gap cuts out some distance too. I've done a 25 mile version, a 34 mile version, and a 47 mile version of those roads (minus the dirt ones).

Mudhouse is probably the best coffee shop. Go to the one on the downtown mall. I think it's at the end with the theater. Greenberry's used to be good (there's one in the Barracks Rd shopping center--Garth Rd on the map turns into Barracks) but lately it's been so so.

You can find awesome pizza at Christian's (also on the mall), and great bagles at Bodos (one on the "Corner" at UVA, one on 29 near Barracks).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Forecast looking pretty good for the 17th so far. Any more thoughts about when to start?

Oh and you can thank me for the warm temps .... it's all because I just spent money on some SubZero tights which should arrive tomorrow. Now that I'd be prepared I won't need them. hmmph

Forecast looking pretty good for the 17th so far. Any more thoughts about when to start?
    9 or 9:30?

Oh and you can thank me for the warm temps .... it's all because I just spent money on some SubZero tights which should arrive tomorrow. Now that I'd be prepared I won't need them. hmmph
    Thanks! that's the sort of thing that usually happens to me
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er