Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies,

I'd like to join in. I'd be up for a ride on Dec. 17th in Rock Creek if it's not too terribly cold, like much below 38 degrees. I'm running the Baltimore Winter Solstice 5 miler on the 16th for the very cool shirt!

By the way, any triathletes in this group? I'm starting to train and always looking for a training buddy.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Hi Beth. Welcome.

Sure...Sunday the 17th sounds like it's shaping up as a plan.
    Does an out-and-back from Garrett Park like I routed sound okay? Simple, and one road primarily, with moderate traffic (occasionally none where the road is blocked to cars).

Should we meet in the District? Or - we could meet in the middle behind the Bicycle Place on Grubb Road in Silver Spring, which has easy access to RCPark.

Tomorrow, DH and I will be at the C&0 on the mtb's, leaving from Riley's Lock. Not sure of the time - late morning likely - and DH wants to head into town from there, not out. So, look for us if you're on the trail and say Hi! We'll be on a black (me) and an orange (him) dualies.

p.s. I've been playing with routeslip.com to challenge mdhillslug's dominance on the site ( !) - just kiddin' - and if you are up for a hill challenge, mapped DH and my favorite summer route through Howard County - a route we call the "Triathalon Loop" - don't know where the name comes from but I think some triathalon uses much of it for their race. I mapped it leaving from the Cloverly Safeway at New Hampshire Ave (route 650) and Briggs Chaney Rd. It's nice and (thus far) rural.
    http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=15679

I'd obviously prefer to meet in the District or as close as possible, but I know that makes a parking problem for the rest of you. And if it's far enough I wouldn't bike to the start anyway, then I'd need to park too

I haven't tried the north end of RCPark, so your route sounds fine. Only I'd love to do the "loop" backwards (as I posted before), not only because I need more hill practice but once you get to Beach from there you can really hammer as it's flat to downhill in that direction. Also, when you get to the end of the loop that way, the stop sign there in the blocked off area is a good place to stop and regroup. (You'd be on-road the other direction and facing left turns potentially with traffic). I'd also prefer to do the loop at least a couple of times for practice on climbing and descending. From the north, that'd mean doing the flat part before the hill, the hill being the way home. So if after a couple repeats no one wants to do the hill that way, we could regroup at the stop, turn around, and go home as mapped via Beach. Slightly less climbing that way.

Did that make sense?

Hope everyone is having fun this weekend and next. I'm studying for exams

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    I haven't tried the north end of RCPark, so your route sounds fine. Only I'd love to do the "loop" backwards (as I posted before), not only because I need more hill practice but once you get to Beach from there you can really hammer as it's flat to downhill in that direction. Also, when you get to the end of the loop that way, the stop sign there in the blocked off area is a good place to stop and regroup. (You'd be on-road the other direction and facing left turns potentially with traffic). I'd also prefer to do the loop at least a couple of times for practice on climbing and descending. From the north, that'd mean doing the flat part before the hill, the hill being the way home. So if after a couple repeats no one wants to do the hill that way, we could regroup at the stop, turn around, and go home as mapped via Beach. Slightly less climbing that way.
    I usually think of the hill loop as "clockwise" vs. "counterclockwise". I think you're saying you do it clockwise, yes? I prefer the counterclockwise route because it's easier <<cough, cough>> and if I get a good start off Joyce, I can do the entire thing in the big ring. At the bottom of Ridge, after the switchback, we usually hop onto the sidewalk and not deal with the street to cut back over to Beach. Yeah, you got the long slog back uphill (gradual) to the ranger station. I'd be up for either way. I just spent an hour and a half mapping out a route from The Bicycle Place as a center start point, and Routeslip.com crapped out (again) and wouldn't save the file! Grrrrr... I even had the ranger station as a regroup spot if folks wanted to do hill repeats. Sigh.

Oh...good luck with finals. Will you be done by the 17th?

Yeah, I'm thinking clockwise.

I was just thinking that with several of us, it might be easier to deal with stopping w/in the blocked off area of Beach. Ranger station would work though too.

Routeslip sucks sometimes. A friend of mine was playing around with a loop he thinks I could do at home, and that day it wasn't calculating elevation at all. Not that there are hills in Savannah, but a bridge or two might be involved.

A start place w/ a bathroom would be nice, so don't worry about it if the Bicycle Place start isn't as good. Though if anyone wants to start way down at the bottom of the parkway, they can run into my house which even post-exams is much cleaner than the porta-potty.

I'll be done with exams after the 12th but still working on a paper probably. But the 16th-17th is the last weekend I'll be in town till about the 2nd week of January, and I'll be busy, but itching to get out on the bike.

Routeslip sucks sometimes. A friend of mine was playing around with a loop he thinks I could do at home, and that day it wasn't calculating elevation at all. Not that there are hills in Savannah, but a bridge or two might be involved.
    Those 0 elevation points do get fixed, in time, especially if you send a bug report.

I hope to keep riding during the winter, at least on days where the temps will be in the 30's. I was quite cold when I started out yesterday but warmed up before too long. Not too long later I was getting hot and needing to unzip and shed heat. I still need to work on my body layering but I must say that I love my Pearl Izumi AmFib tights. Why aren't there toe covers that work well with mtb shoes?!?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Have you tried the new PI Am/Fib covers? I have them because they're the only ones that work with my Keos, especially since I have them set far back on the shoe. They could fit on a larger shoe at the toe. Or could you go up a size bigger than what's supposed to work for your shoe size in a road shoe?

The regular PI thermafleece kind didn't fit my setup at all.

Revolution lets you try them on and return them if you don't rip the tag off.

The folks at the BP are ususally pretty good about pre- post-ride breaks in their BR. Does anyone know if the public ones are still open just north of the intersection of Joyce and Beach?

RE: Routeslip and elevations....when I re-mapped with a mid-route start, it gave me a total climbing of 1500 ft, vs. 800 ft for the link I provided earlier. There is NO way the short spur from Beach to the shop require 700 feet of climbing! Yet that was the only difference b/t the two routes - and the hill was clockwise vs. counterclockwise...but since it's the same hill, hello? You'd be doing the same amount of climbing. Sigh. So, I view the elevations as suspect. I have one route on my Garmin where I did this route (without the shop) from my house - from Colesville through Wheaton and Kensington (for those who know the area, I climb Plyers Mill from CT Ave to Georgia Ave). That total ride was 1700 ft elevation gain. According to Garmin.

Anywho.... for our new folks and visitors, I'd suggest parking at the shop. Easy to MapQuest directions and plenty of parking. (okay...can you tell my bias about hating to drive into the District? A "city girl" I am most definitely NOT!) We could drop into the Park and do the hill (clockwise) while our legs are still fresh (twice if the speedy are so inclined! ) and regroup at the ranger station at Beach and Joyce.

Thoughts? Different opinions (I could alway park my own butt at the shop and ride my bike down to the bottom of Beach and meet you'all there!)?

Last thing: Re: AmFib tights...Nicole...Toasty warm? I'm thinking I need to replace my old tights. I have lightweight tights and knickers for cooler and sick-warm tights for the brutal cold, but my mid-weight tights for 30's and 40's kind of rides are getting old and thin. Would these fit that niche pretty well? And I agree on the shoe covers - try a larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    I view the elevations as suspect. I have one route on my Garmin where I did this route (without the shop) from my house - from Colesville through Wheaton and Kensington (for those who know the area, I climb Plyers Mill from CT Ave to Georgia Ave). That total ride was 1700 ft elevation gain. According to Garmin.
    Consider them as rough estimates.

Anywho.... for our new folks and visitors, I'd suggest parking at the shop. Easy to MapQuest directions and plenty of parking. (okay...can you tell my bias about hating to drive into the District? A "city girl" I am most definitely NOT!) We could drop into the Park and do the hill (clockwise) while our legs are still fresh (twice if the speedy are so inclined! ) and regroup at the ranger station at Beach and Joyce.

Thoughts? Different opinions (I could alway park my own butt at the shop and ride my bike down to the bottom of Beach and meet you'all there!)?
    I'm getting a bit lost with the options. I'd prefer not having to drive into the district if at all possible. Just tell me where and when to meet...

Last thing: Re: AmFib tights...Nicole...Toasty warm? I'm thinking I need to replace my old tights. I have lightweight tights and knickers for cooler and sick-warm tights for the brutal cold, but my mid-weight tights for 30's and 40's kind of rides are getting old and thin. Would these fit that niche pretty well? And I agree on the shoe covers - try a larger size.
    I find the AmFib tights nice and warm. My legs have never been cold in them (so far). In fact, the problem with them are if the temps start warning up into the 50's they get too warm.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

So you make me drive all the way through the District? Uh huh, I see how it is. Eh, no worries.

Did you remap at a very high zoom? Maybe it's using an off-the-road elevation somewhere--in a couple of places that makes a difference. Twice comparing my Garmin to routeslip, routeslip has been short about 50 ft. Maybe yours needs debugged?

I tried on the Am/Fib tights. I've got fit issues with PI, but from that brief dressing room moment and from my toe covers, I like the material.

I was going to order a new pair of tights today, but my size disappeared. D'oh. What material are your "sick warm" tights, Regina? My midweight Cannondale ones might not do for the 30s.

Oh, and the weather on the 17th better not feel like it did today. Brr!

So, what about the casual ride?

Kali,

We've hijacked your original post about a more casual ride. Are there still thoughts about this or are you hanging up the bike until spring?

BTW, the trail ride we did was the coldest I've been on a ride, even though the air temp was warmer than yesterday. I think that riding in the shade of the trees and at slower speeds keeps you from getting as warmed up.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Ahhh....hadn't thought about the "off road" elevations. Good point.
    I think I routed out at one "-" above fully zoomed in. I probably had us riding over some rock walls and hills! But, yeah, I do view it as an estimate. I view the Garmin's estimates as suspect to, and use it just as a relative guage.
    Okay....to reduce the options...here's where we are at:
    Road ride - moderate to fast pace (16-20 mph cruising) - December 17th (time?).
    Departure point: Meet at The Bicycle Place, 8313 Grubb Rd, Silver Spring (http://www.thebicycleplace.com/ ) - meet in the parking lot in the BACK of the building.
    Route: We'll ride from the Bicycle Place (BP) and drop INTO Rock Creek Park via Beach Drive. We'll do "the hill" - Ridge Rd to Ross to Joyce - clockwise once - or twice if certain someones pull ahead - but we'll all discuss that as we ride. We'll regroup at the Ranger station (just south of the intersection of Beach and Joyce). We'll ride up Beach out of the District, into MD, out to Garrett Park. Turn around at Garrett Park (rest and potty break if needed). Turn around and follow Beach Dr. back down to the BP and end. Will be about 27 miles all told. Route is ALL on road.
    'kay?

p.s. "Sick warm" tight are ancient Performance brand tights (consequently, the fit sux, but I have to admit, they are warm). They are fleece and fronted with a wind-block material. They come out maybe 3x's/year and can also be layered under windpants for spring skiing or xc skiing.

I won't be joining you for your 12/17 "hammer" ride--hammering is not in my vocabulary--but I thought I'd offer my two cents regarding warm tights.

I've got a pair of Shebeest Wind Pro tights http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=2499 that are nice and toasty, "sick warm" to use Regina's term. I wore them commuting today and was very comfortable in the 32 degree, 20 degree wind chill weather this morning. I tried a pair of Sugoi firewall tights but they made too much noise so I sent them back. The TE person said that the PI AmFib tights make a lot of noise also. The Shebeest tights are quiet.

Kali, I'd be up for a more casual ride on the canal if it's not too cold and if you haven't retired your bike for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    The TE person said that the PI AmFib tights make a lot of noise also. The Shebeest tights are quiet.
    The AmFibs are noisy when I'm walking, but I never hear from them when I'm riding.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

So you make me drive all the way through the District? Uh huh, I see how it is. Eh, no worries.
    The Bicycle Place is about as close to being in the District as possible without actually being in the District.

OK, it sounds like a plan. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you two.

Let firm up the time as we get closer and can look at the morning temps, etc.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er