Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

what is a crit challenge?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm clueless, but I know you are the gals to ask. Our tiny town that never does anything is having "The Mayors Krispy Kreme Crit Challenge" It makes a 0.7 loop mi thru town. I would like to support biking here, but don't know what this is. The only thing I see for women specifically is "Women 3/4 25 miles" with a footnote "Part of the REI Cat 4& Proteus Cat 3 Womens Race Series Bar Mid Atlantic Series event*separate prize list." Does this mean that you go around the course 36.7 times? Fast? And how competitive are these things? Foot races have a few fast people and it's cool for everyone else to be realtively slow. Is that how it is for bikes? Do they put ALL women together, eg, 49 yr olds w 19 yr olds? And there's stuff about licenses, can you ride w/o? Sorry to be such a goober and I appreciate your input. I'm a woman who is in acceptable shape, but I ride for fun. Let me know if I should check this out.

It's a short course lap race. Very exciting - at least the few I've been to because you can see the whole course.

You can get a one day license - at least out here. How are your group riding skills?

V.

Don't relly have group skills. I usually ride alone. For the group rides I've done, people spread out and then regroup @ the stops. Or just ride along in clumps of 2 to 5.

The crits I've seen have had big packs, not pacelines, packs of riders, that's why I asked. Of course, there have been riders off the front and riders off the back. But the main group seems to be in a pack for much the ride.

We really like going and watching. They are very exciting.

Veronica

Just talked to someone on my group ride. Her husband does these. Apparently they are for competitive people who want to win. These are not like 5k run/walks. You must be racing and able to keep up or they pull you out. I now know that I will go and watch.