Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

you may be a bike commuter if...

To disable ads, please log-in.

haven't seen this category yet, so I doodled out my own. It's here rather than in Humor, in case nobody but me finds this funny

You may be a bike commuter if:

You can put on your bike clothes in your sleep, and frequently do.

Breakfast on weekends feels kinda funny, because you're not wearing bike clothes.

On weekend MTB rides you check that your pannier is ok. 5 times. Even though you haven't got one on.

Your bike handling skills mainly involve being the first one out of every intersection, and correctly gauging if you have time to pass the 20-bus at the bus stop.

You start pulling other bike commuters on "your" stretch over to tell them, gently, that they should wear a helmet and use lights. You start by saying "I've been commuting here for more than 5 years, and..."

You wear out brake pads in 3 months.

Biking takes twice as long as any other mode of transport, three times as long if you count showering and changing, and you get cold and wet, but you still think it's worth it. Most of the time.

Your bike shop takes more than 2 days to fix your bike, and you seriously consider getting another one to use in the meantime.

Your bike shop takes more than 2 days to fix your bike, and you get irritable and antsy and start posting snide things about the bike shop on the internet.

You don't know his name and have barely seen his face, but you know his work schedule, what make of tights he wears, and whether he likes to bike fast uphills or not.

You have an interesting and fulfilling job that you love, but the absolutely no.1 best part about it is that your workplace has a shower.

You have an interesting and fulfilling job, but are considering quitting because your workplace doesn't have a shower.

Your colleagues no longer ask why your hair is wet.

The clothes you wear on your way TO work are worth way more than the clothes you wear AT work. Duh, at room temperature you can wear *anything*.

In fact your winter gloves cost more than your entire work outfit.

You darn near freeze to death if you have to take the metro one day, because you always forget how cold NOT biking to work is, and you never got around to buying a warm non-bike winter jacket, anyway.

Miss anything?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Your office feels like it's missing something if your bike isn't in it.

On days you didn't bike, you still turn around in your desk chair because you want to check something on your bike and are disappointed when it's not right behind you against the wall.

Your coworkers think nothing of seeing you in bike clothes an hour after you arrived at work.

You've been to a meeting with the company VP in your bike clothes and without shoe.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

ditto

GREAT list.....couldn't of said it better myself!

My one item to add: Saving $80.00 a month on garage parking.

I just noticed that I have ridden 331 miles on my commuter bike since Sept. 9 of this year. I ride to work 3 days a week and I LOVE it!!!!!
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
    Braveheart

http://www.foodandpoker.blogspot.com/

lonely commute

I commute but I never see more than 4 people on my ride in the morning & not tons of folks on the way home.

Waking up at 415am is normal.

You no longer care about the Freo Dr (i'll let wikipedia explain this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_doctor) & battle the headwind, sidewind and 30+ temps.

YOu can look up at the pelicans on the lights without swaying on the path.. (i try but not always successful)

YOu feel guitly taking the train & stare at the bike path thinking you should be there..

You look forward to the sections of the cycle path with trees...

You think about your bike while at work & hope no one has touched it.

When looking for a job, the place must have a shower.

c

I'd like to add my own,

Been to an Entire breakfast meeting in Lycra with the Director, supervisors, Post Docs and Students because the shower was taken by one of the other commuters.

You make multiple trips to the basement on your breaks to make sure noone's messed with your bike in the lock up.

Find yourself abusing cars passing into the bike lane when you're in a car yourself

You Get the urge to RACE when a bike passes you in a car

You think your boyfriend is insane when he WALKS to work for run training... (even if it's only 5km away)
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

== You *do* have four bicycles so one always works, even though the bike shop guy usually fixes your bike over the lunch hour.

== You've put your helmet on and then remembered, " I'm taking the car. It's 750 miles."

-- Ice scraper? What's an ice scraper?

Kitsune06 Guest
    ==Your water cooler talk with fellow commuters details near-accidents of the morning, totally nonchalont, while co-workers look on and go "You must be nuts!"

==It's a joke in the office that when the manager wants you first thing in the morning, the receptionist says "She's up in the shower- she'll be right down!"

==Clif bars + espresso Hammer gel = Breakfast!

your coworkers always ask "Is that YOUR fancy bike upstairs?"

or despite the weather, they ask "Did you ride in to work today?"
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Hee - one of my (now ex-) colleagues had a bike WAY more expensive than mine, and he used to bring it into the exercise/weight room while he was showering, then took it up to his office for the rest of the day.

I hid it once, just wheeled it round the corner while he was in the shower. Poor guy came tearing out of the mens locker room 2 minutes later wearing only a towel. He had heard the ticking of his expensive drive train from UNDER WATER.

So sweet, just like a new mother
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I hid it once, just wheeled it round the corner while he was in the shower. Poor guy came tearing out of the mens locker room 2 minutes later wearing only a towel. He had heard the ticking of his expensive drive train from UNDER WATER.

So sweet, just like a new mother
    Yes. Like a mother BEAR getting ready to kick some ***!!

yeah, funny, he didn't find it half as amusing as I did

You like your helmet hair better than your regular hair....
    you can tap dance in your cleats like those little penguins in that movie
    you only buy clothes that will roll up and not wrinkle....

You start planning 2 to 3 days in advance for the first BIG winter blizzard of the season because the weather men are acting like it is headed your way....Ice, wind, and 20 degrees....sounds like an interesting ride to work.

Your co-workers have to actually physically stop you from riding home when the weather is really dangerous (dark, 30mph wind, rain, lightning, etc.)

Still trying not to feel like a quitter about that day!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    you can tap dance in your cleats like those little penguins in that movie
    HA!!! Good one!