Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spin video or audio for ipod?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I spent many hours last night looking for a spin video (or audio file) that I can use in the spin suite by myself on my ipod.

I checked out the spinnervals DVD previews and they don't seem to fit what I think I want. I'm looking specifically for good music with a voiceover that gives the commands that I can follow along. So, kind of like a class with the instructor on my ipod instead of in front of me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm watching for the suggestions too.

Maybe you can make one yourself, record your voice over the music? Sounds like you might have a business opportunity here.

If only!

If I only knew what I was doing, I could totally do it myself (and maybe make a killing in the process)! Maybe I'll talk to one of my spin instructors and see about getting their mixes and routines and see if I can put it together myself...I'll let you know if I come up with something.

I am new to spinning and new to this board, but iPods and podcasts, I know.

I haev also been searching for a podcast for me to use at home - no luck yet. If you decide to constuct your own, I may be able to help.

Found this ad with a link in Bicycling Magazine this month. It costs $20/month after the first month free. Podfitness workouts geared to you personally. Your own music. Top Fitness instructors. So they claim. I haven't tried it but it might be good for someone.

https://www.podfitness.com/web/templ...?aff=bicycling

barb
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Great resource! Since the first 30 days are free, I'm going to try it out and see how it works. I'll keep you posted!

I had to laugh, though, when scrolling through the trainer options...Who wants to work out to Danny Bonaduce?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
    I had to laugh, though, when scrolling through the trainer options...Who wants to work out to Danny Bonaduce?
    Hey, I often bike to some vintage Partridge Family!

Sure, but do you want him as your trainer?

So far, I've logged on using the free 30 day subscription and played around. The interface is pretty easy to use, but the main weakness that I'm finding is that you have no idea what the workout looks like until you've mixed your music. So, if you pick the cycling work out, the trainer may say to crank up your RPMs during a time when you picked out a slower song. I have to go back through now and remix my music to make it fit with what the trainer voice is asking me to do at each part of the workout.

In theory it's a great program, I think they just have a few kinks to work out before it's really very user-friendly.

I'd recommend checking it out, though. They have a few different work outs (cardio and strength) available and you can increase or decrease your intensity level and use your own music from your iTunes playlists.

Thumbs down Podfitness.com review

I canceled my 30 day free trial today (and, in the meantime noticed that they have a 10 day free trial available for anyone!).

Here's my feeling about the program:

It seems geared towards new exercisers who don't know where to begin. This could be an excellent program if you aren't already using an elliptical machine or a stationary bike on a regular basis. But, if you're already somewhat set in your ways, and just want someone to help you mix up your routine a bit, then this program will probably disappoint.

The music mixing function was a pain. There was no way to know what kind of music to put in, and the music often did not line up with instruction. Songs would end in weird places, leaving you working out to quietness when you really may have needed a heart-thumping song at that point.

I would probably go back to using the software if they made some considerable improvements, but for now, it doesn't meet my needs and isn't user-friendly enough to make it worthwhile.

Others may disagree, so if you're interested, check it out using the 10-day free trial.

Carmichael Training Systems has video and audio workouts for ipods. I downloaded a couple of the "Do the Tour, Stay at Home" audio workouts for when I'm traveling and working out in hotel fitness centers.

The CTS workouts are ok. The intervals are typically on the long side (5-6 minutes) in the workouts that I downloaded. So the whole workout tends to last for more than an hour. There are voice overs and countdowns by Chris Carmichael and Bob Roll -- but there is also alot of indirect advertising for various products (like PowerGel) and you don't get a choice of music.

I looked through the descriptions of some of the video workout intervals and jotted them down and am going to use those as templates and get my own music to go along with each interval.

-traveller
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

I found a website http://www.iamplify.com/ and I have downloaded a spinning audio onto my ipod and I love it!! There are alos several other downaloads for other sports and it has alot to offer. I only paid $5.00 for my first download and there are no monthly fees.

They're expanding my gym...

and the club manager and somebody else came in the spin room while I was there. i figured I'd take the opportunity to put my .02 in and asked if they could put in a dvd player so we (I) could do spinnervals. The club manager said sure but the woman he was with told me to just google the term "DVD audio extractor". Lo and behold there is free software that will extract the audio from spinnervals!

So now I have to buy some Spinnervals
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I haven't done much yet with podcasts, but along those lines, I REALLY like a cycling CD I bought and loaded onto my iPod. It is the Zooming CD from Ian Jackson. I ordered the set, which also has audio for both walking and running programs. I use the Zooming workout the most (it is specifically for cycling).

http://www.breathplay.com

I also bought a Spinerval audio only workout that I put on my iPod. It is a 45 minute high cadence interval workout. I think it is good.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I also bought a Spinerval audio only workout that I put on my iPod.
    Is it like watching a spinnerval dvd, I mean, is there someone giving verbal commands/cues like in a spin class?
    I don't know what a spinnerval is like, I've never seen one. I can only compare to spin class.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Zen, yes, there are instructions.

There is a brief warm-up (I do more warm up than theirs), but during warm up the workout is described a bit so you know what is coming...also a little instruction about spinning a high cadence.

Then, there is music (edited to add...wait...is there music with this one? I can't remember!), with voice-over guiding you through the interval session: timing the intervals, giving instruction as to what cadence, giving tips on retaining form throughout the interval, and also giving encouragement.

They also remind you to take a drink of water during the rest periods after some intervals, etc.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury