Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Stock Tips...

Turkey Tips...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Every couple of months, I make a whole pot of turkey stock and Thanksgiving is no different. I use it in the gravy, the stuffing and anything else that needs some kind of liquid.

My turkey stock consists of water, lots of turkey wings (roasted golden brown first), celery stalks, whole onions, carrots, a spring of rosemary and thyme and a few whole peppercorns. In a giant stock pot, I slowly simmer the concoction for almost a full day. By the end of the day, the stock is so rich you can add a bit of salt and it's as good as soup as anything. But since there usually is so much available, here's a good tip: Freeze it.

Freeze some stock in ice cube trays. Once frozen, store the cubes in a freezer bag. Next time you have to open up a can on Campbell's soup or ramen, pop in a few cubes of stock into the water. It'll make your soup richer and tastier.

Freeze stock in 1-cup portions. I measure out one cup portions into Ziploc containers and freeze them. Next time I have a recipe that calls for a cup of stock, I can use "real" stock instead of the canned kind.

Freeze larger portions for soups. Again, I like the Ziploc containers. Next time homemade soup is in order, I can just defrost it, add a few meats or veggies with some spices and it's good to go.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!
    Last edited by Bluetree; 11-22-2006 at 09:03 AM.

I thought you were going to tell me how to invest my money ...
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Quote Originally Posted by Offthegrid View Post
    I thought you were going to tell me how to invest my money ...
    Okay, I changed it from "Stock Tips" to "Turkey Tips" so I don't get booted off as spam!