Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Conflicting advice from LB shops

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is my first time posting on here, but I definitely need some help. I have just recently gotten into riding. My experience consists mostly of groomed trails and road biking, but I have just started getting into some mountain biking. When I was out about week ago, a buddy of mine ran over my bike, so its off to buy a new one.

I have to a couple of my LBS shops to get advice and look for a new one. My goal is find a new bike that will handle both road/off road biking. I am getting conflicting advice. A couple of them are telling me to get a mountain bike, and get an extra pair of "slicks" (road worthy) tires to get on when I want to hit the road. Others are telling me to get a hybrid bike since I will be doing both. I am concerned though since if I get into anything really technical on a hybid while I am mountain biking, it will not be able to handle it.

Any advice would be most helpful! Thanks!

I rode my mountain bike for years on the road - even used it for a self supported tour down the CA coast - with slicks. When we wanted to do any off road stuff, we just switched the tires.

So, if you can only have one bike, and you want to do both road and off road, my advice would be a mountain bike and get slicks.

V.

I agree with Veronica......... if you can only get one bike, don't get a hybrid. It will not be able to handle any vigorous off-road stuff. At least you can put slicks on a mountain bike and take it out on the road. It'll be hard to keep up with riders on road bikes but it will make you stronger trying.
    Someday, maybe you'll be able to have both.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

me three... dont' get a hybrid if you think you might be doing any 'real' mountain biking ( as compared to rail trails and fire roads exclusively) the geometry of a hybrid is significantly more recreatioanal and upright. You can throw a set of slicks on it for roads. Most people who do a LOT of both own a road bike and a mountain bike.

Penny
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Vote # 3 for the mountain bike

You mention getting "into" mountain biking. To me that says "single track" and single track includes roots, rocks and logs. You'll need the slightly more agressive position and narrower saddle available on a "real" mountain bike.

Modern hybrids generally put the rider in an upright position and include comfort features such as suspension seatposts, upright handlbars and big cushy seats. They are great for coffee runs in town, pulling the kids in a trailer on the bike path, and as beginner "road" bikes for people who want to try longish distance road-rides with-out the road-bike price

I agree with all of the above. The hybrid simply won't get you where you may want to go off-road. Suspension can be the difference between cleaning an obstacle and walking an obstacle, and your learning curve will be faster. Even if you are "just doing fire roads", you'll want a mtb bike. Some fire roads can be incredibly technical, steep, fast and rocky. You'll get beat to death without suspension and your traction will be better with it.

If you can afford it, get a mt bike with shocks that lock out for riding on the road. Also, you may want to use flat bars and bar ends. You will have more hand positions which can be critical on long road rides. They also give you more leverage on long hill climbs off-road.

If you are short, a flat handle bar may also give you a better riding position. Frequently, head tubes on smaller bikes are not as short as they could be so you can't get your bars low enough in relation to your saddle. If you are going to use your bike on the road, you'll probably want to do everything you can to give you a flatter position. A hybrid will give you the opposite of everything that you'll want for optimum riding.

Get slicks as narrow as possible and that can be pumped to a high PSI so that you can lower the rolling resistance on the pavement.

Let us know what you picked!

Thumbs up Another vote for a mountain bike

I agree that a mountain bike is the better choice. I have never seen a hybrid on the trails where I ride. But I have seen mountain bikes with slicks on road rides (even long road rides).

Before I got my road bike, I used my mountain bike with slicks. I bought a second set of wheels. One set had my knobbies mounted. The other set had slicks (110 PSI) on them. So when I wanted to ride the roads, I just flipped the quick releases and slapped on the smoothies. That was a lot easier than dismounting and remounting the rubber. Maybe the bike shop will give you a deal on the second set of wheels and the slicks if you buy it all at once.

SadieKate makes a good point about the lock-out. My mountain bike has lock-out on both the shock and fork. That made road riding a little easier, but it isn’t absolutely necessary. The lock-out feature on a shock and fork will add to the cost.

Have fun bike hunting. Talk to lots of people at the bike shops and find a place where you feel comfortable. Test ride lots of bikes to find exactly the right bike for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Re: Conflicting advice from LB shops

Originally posted by icepanthar22
    a buddy of mine ran over my bike, so its off to buy a new one.
    By the way... Care to elaborate on this? It sounds ummm interesting.

regarding lock outs... nice to have but they do add $$$. My main problem with using a lockout is that I forget to turn it back on which can make for interesting riding...

gee I think I'm having a geeky day only to find out I've been riding with the front locked out. I had a really wild ride on the Schwietzer XC course, only to find out I had the front locked out and the rear on ( how's that for reverse suspension!!) and I thought I had been riding like a geek...

penny

two hours till plane time.... woo-hooo
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Originally posted by Irulan
    regarding lock outs... nice to have but they do add $$$. My main problem with using a lockout is that I forget to turn it back on which can make for interesting riding...
    You crest a long climb and drop into some agressive down-hill. About 2 seconds into the down hill you realize you're still locked out and going for a wild ride! Wooooo Whooooooo!! Yep... I've been there. Not fun. Also it's too late to reach down and unlock. You could add even more $$$s and get a remote lock-out so you could unlock with the flip of a thumb...

Originally posted by Irulan
    two hours till plane time.... woo-hooo
    Have a great vacation/2nd honeymoon!

Lightbulb Re: Re: Conflicting advice from LB shops

Originally posted by Adventure Girl
    By the way... Care to elaborate on this? It sounds ummm interesting.
    I live with 2 other girls in a house here. Well, one of my room mates decided to borrow my bike without asking me. Well she not only borrow my bike, but my bike rack. She thought she had all attached correctly on her car, and she didnt. As she was backing out of our driveway, the entire thing came off, without her realising it, and she backed completely over it. I have pictures - needless to say, I was not a happ camper for a couple of days. Then I broke my foot 2 days later in a separate accident so I have not been riding for a month, and I am been in withdrawal ever since :-)

And everyone thanks for all of the advice. I have definitely decided to go with a mountain bike with separate tires, and I think I have narrowed it to a Giant Rincon, Trek 4100/4300, or a Specialized Hardrock. Any one have any strong opinions either way?

I'd vote for a new housemate!

Talking

Originally posted by SadieKate
    I'd vote for a new housemate!
    Yea well - the house we live in is owned by a friend of mine. The housemate that ran over my car is his girlfriend. Hmmm....

I needed a new bike anyways, this just gave me an excuse to go buy one. The current rule is though everyone is forbidden to touch the bike but me!

QUOTE]I live with 2 other girls in a house here. Well, one of my room mates decided to borrow my bike without asking me. Well she not only borrow my bike, but my bike rack. She thought she had all attached correctly on her car, and she didnt. As she was backing out of our driveway, the entire thing came off, without her realising it, and she backed completely over it.[/QUOTE]

just gave me an excuse to go buy one.
    WHAT??? they aren't paying for it???? I"d rethink that if I were you...??!!!???!!!!!

penny
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

WHAT??? they aren't paying for it???? I"d rethink that if I were you...??!!!???!!!!!

penny [/B][/QUOTE]

well, she is a graduate student, who works as a waitress on the side. She doesnt have alot of extra money...I am lucky and have a full time job making a decent living. I can either make her pay money for it, and or move on and forget. I choose to move on...what goes around, comes around :-)