Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 176 of 221 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 3311

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ack! Don't let it put you off wool, the way it put me off expensive sunglasses when my dog ate my Oakleys....
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ooooh, lookie: http://www.twinsix.com/gear/the-stuf...-merinotrainer

Fatty wool sweaters! Way too expensive for me, but don't they look nifty!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Wool- the new currency

Today a good friend of mine is off to Canada with her boyfriend to go dog sledding among other activities.
    This friend is not really an outdoors type, she's a Dr.Hauschka skin care rep (a very expensive brand of skin products). She didn't want to freeze up there, but it seemed unrealistic for her to buy expensive wool items just for her 3 day trip.
    So I outfitted her with a great warm set of wool- socks, top and bottom base layer, over tights, turtleneck shak, jacket, mittens with liners, balaclava, earflap hat. The works. She had strict instructions not to wash anything (don't want anyone washing my wool but me).

I hadn't asked for anything in return, but she gave me a GIANT bottle of my favorite Dr.Hauschka face moisturizer, worth $50 retail, and a bottle of lavender shower/bath stuff worth $23. The face moisturizer is the one expensive skin care product that I actually do splurge on for myself- so this is about 8 months' worth for me and saves me $50!

Wool. Like money in the bank.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're a great friend. I haven't quite managed to lend out my wool and let it out of my sight... I was kayak touring with a friend recently and let her borrow a lot of my kayaking clothing and equipment... I still cringed everytime I heard her whack my carbon fiber paddle with something.

I lent my sister a bunch of outdoor gear recently so she & her daughter could go tubing... A way long time ago she shrunk one of my wool sweaters, so I didn't let her borrow any wool, but let them both borrow down jackets, goretex shells and pants, etc. I was having nightmares of her washing my down jackets (thankfully she didn't!) or ripping some goretex. I'm sure it's all brands that she's never heard of, so she doesn't quite understand how expensive the stuff I was lending her really was, and I didn't want to be that person who lends you something and harps on how expensive and what it is, to the extent that you don't want to borrow it or use it anymore.

Catriona,
    I never would have lent all that good wool to just any friend.
    We discussed everything clearly- how she'd pay to replace anything lost or ripped, and she promised not to wash anything. She's very careful with her own clothes and she knows exactly how expensive my stuff is. She's a smart businesswoman, a good friend, and we are very frank with each other about such things. I felt safe.
    Lisa

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    OK- you've all done it!! I went to the thrift store and bought 2 wool sweaters. They're a teeny bit itchy, and not very pretty, but HOLY MOLY I'm sooooo warm when I wear them. I bought a thin merino wool one to wear under my cycling coat and a thicker wool one to wear in our house (it's always cold).
    I honestly didn't think that wool would make a difference, but I'm sold now!

Thank you for all your tips and advice. My torso has never been warmer. Someday soon I'm going to get some wool tights and then my legs will be just as happy as my torso.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I just mailed a load of wool off to my cousins in scotland - 3 260 weight icebreaker sweaters, 1 200 weight, 1 icebreaker t shirt, an ibex zephyr & ibex long janes for my female cousin, and 3 icebreaker t shirts, an ibex zephyr, a smartwool top, some smartwool socks, and 1 icebreaker quantum top for her brother. Both got softshells as well, and a few other things.

They'll definitely both appreciate it, and hopefully'll hurry up and pay me back for all the shopping I did for them.

[QUOTE=Catriona;487989]I just mailed a load of wool off to my cousins in scotland QUOTE]

Isn't that like shipping coals to Newcastle? You'd think the land of Shetland would be better equiped. But then again they don't really have merino sheep in Scotland, just the hardier breeds with coarser, scratchier wool.

[QUOTE=pdxgal;488084]
    Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I just mailed a load of wool off to my cousins in scotland QUOTE]

Isn't that like shipping coals to Newcastle? You'd think the land of Shetland would be better equiped. But then again they don't really have merino sheep in Scotland, just the hardier breeds with coarser, scratchier wool.
    I don't think they have merino sheep. Looks like those were initially developed in Spain/Portugal:
    http://www.sheep101.info/breedsS.html

They definitely have wool, most of it's the standard itchy wool whenever I've gotten sweaters from over there... and all of it's a lot more expensive than what you can find merino wool on sale for over here.

I have a lot of friends in New Zealand or australia who have had me ship them icebreaker if I find it on sale cheap here - they can't get it at those prices back home, so even with the costs of shipping it to them, it's still cheaper. I've had new zealanders or australians buy icebreaker wool off me on ebay...

Just got word from my friend that she's back from Canada, and both she and my wool are safe and sound.
    Lisa

Backcountryoutlet.com has swobo merino wool cycling jerseys, short sleeve, for $18.99. If you go through bing cashback, you get 12% back.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...ve-Womens.html

I've been having more and more problems wearing wool. Even 17.5 merino. Yesterday I wore my Kate after coming home from hiking, taking a nice shower, and settling down to relax. I was itching after a couple of hours and this morning my arms are bright red. Wearing my Smart Wool ski socks is also bothering my legs.
    Since I am going x country skiing up in the Northeast Kingdom in 10 days, I need to get this to settle down. It's a place where wool is mandatory!

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    Backcountryoutlet.com has swobo merino wool cycling jerseys, short sleeve, for $18.99. If you go through bing cashback, you get 12% back.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...ve-Womens.html
    Thanks for this, I ordered two of them, though should have probably purchased brighter colors. My first jersey purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I've been having more and more problems wearing wool. Even 17.5 merino. Yesterday I wore my Kate after coming home from hiking, taking a nice shower, and settling down to relax. I was itching after a couple of hours and this morning my arms are bright red. Wearing my Smart Wool ski socks is also bothering my legs.
    Since I am going x country skiing up in the Northeast Kingdom in 10 days, I need to get this to settle down. It's a place where wool is mandatory!
    What kind of laundry detergent are you using? It might not be the wool.

But it would really suck if it were. You would have to give all of your wool to us. (So what size are ya? )