Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 221 123451151101 ... LastLast

WoolWeenies Club

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here we go, girls!

No-one started it yet, so I did.

"Hi, my name is Knot, and my favorite wooly brands are Ibex, Smartwool, and Icebreaker."

I've found that Woolrich tends to mix a lot of man-made fiber in with their wool, so you have to be careful. Duofold's "pure" wools tend to fall apart waaaaay too quickly, though their duo-layer wool-cottons are as good as always. Pendleton is too awesome for words, and someday I will have queen sized Pendleton blankets on my bed and a blanket on my couch, instead of just one little blankie.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 11-20-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

KnottedYet ""Hi, my name is Knot, and my favorite wooly brands are Ibex, Smartwool, and Icebreaker.""

is this 12 step for wool?

"Hi Knot" (from the group)
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Yeah, honey, it is. But in this case we aren't trying to stop our addiction, and we ARE trying to get others addicted.

Just *try* to tell me you didn't like my Ibex.... I know the truth.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    The Twelve Principles of WoolWeenies:*

1. We admitted we were powerless over wool.

2. Came to believe that wool could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of wool as we understood it.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our wardrobe.

5. Admitted to WoolWeenies, to ourselves, and to another TE members the exact nature of our wool needs.

6. Were entirely ready to have wool remove all our defects of layering.

7. Humbly asked wool to remove our polyester odor annoyances.

8. Made a list of all wool items we had ripped, and became willing to mend them all.

9. Made direct mends to such wool items wherever possible, except when to do so would fray them further.

10. Continued to take wardobe inventory and when we were running low promptly bought more wool.

11. Sought through websearches and discounts to improve our conscious contact with wool, as we understood it, seeking only knowledge of wool's will for us and the budget to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of wearing wool, we tried to carry this message to other woolweenies, and to wear wool in all our activities.

*(with apologies and a respectful nod to AA...)
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Down with high tech fabrics . Yeah, wool does feel really good.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Lisa!!!! You are a GODDESS!!!!!! A *goddess*, I tell you!

Trek - I knew you liked it. We'll get you wearing wool soon. We'll start you on Duofold (cotton next to your skin) then advance you to wool longsleeve shirts, then t-shirts; and soon, the big one... wool boxers!

Wool underwear, the sign of a true woolweenie! (umm, that doesn't quite sound right, but we know what I mean!)

I see, Duofold is the entry drug, then it's all downhill from there till I hit bottom only to be found in a gutter somewhere having lost my house, family and job all in search of more and better wool.

At first there were the excuses, oh, I'll only wear wool on the weekends, or only after very special rides. Soon you'd be making excuses for me "Trek will finish that project, she'll get to work on time, she just needs more wool after a weekend of riding".

Thanks to the higher-power as we know it there is wool-anon for the family and friends of WoolWeenies

*very respectful nod to AA and Alanon
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Psssst... Hey, Trek. C'mere. I gotta nice black Duofold henley that oughta fit ya. Has that authentic "broken in" look. Cotton interior layer, 40% wool in the outer layer. Nice and cozy for those chilly December San Francisco nights. Clean, and it's the real goods. C'mon, what could it hurt? I'll let cha have it, first one's on me, eh? Hey, we're friends, right? Would I steer ya wrong?
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 11-20-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Hi group, my name is Grog, and I am a woolweenie.

It has been weeks since I have last taken off my Ibex Ultimate Guide Sweater in blue, and when it's really cold I layer it with some Smartwool. My dear partner's mother brought me back Smartwool striped socks from a trip and I would have exchanged my mom for her at the moment I opened that package. I have been thinking about those loose tights day and night since they were introduced to me...

*sigh*

feel the yearning.... feel the love.... you know you want them....

http://www.ibexwear.com/F06/View_Pro...&CategoryLine=

We're here to support you in your decision to dress head-to-toe in wool.

I don't have a woolling problem. I can stop at any time!!!

I don't have a wool problem either. I just don't have enough dresser drawers
    and my closet is too small.

Lisa, that was a good 12 step list. My husband was VERY impressed.
    (he said if you weren't a girl, he'd ask you to be his wool sponsor)
    (girl sponsors can only sponser girls, boy sponsors can only sponser boys)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Hi my name is madscot
    I first bought my first piece of wool last spring from REI. First I saw the smart wool and I thought this is the perfect zip neck it is what i have searched for high and low- it looks tight, warm, and black. But then I saw it was too expensive. but then REI brought out their own brand and sent me a coupon. and then it happened.
    then I bought the blue zip neck. I didn't need a blue one. I needed a black crew neck
    So I bought one from icebreaker. It is warm and thick. thicker than smar wool. more expenive than smart wool
    But now what I really need is a thick skiiing veryday sweater. The Ultimate guide sweater in stock is too large for me. I am still lost and confused
    So I bought the icebreaker ignition pullover. It isn't quite what I am lookiing for but it will do.
    And now I am a poor college student wearing a sweater that is a third of my rent.

thank you wool weenies for helping me in that at least I am poor but when I am evicted I will stay warm through the warmth of merino.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I see, Duofold is the entry drug, then it's all downhill from there till I hit bottom only to be found in a gutter somewhere having lost my house, family and job all in search of more and better wool.
    That's the beauty of wool. You can be homeless in a gutter in rain and snow and 40 mph winds, but you'll still be warm.

My name is DebW, and my wool addiction started in the winter of 1974-75 before the advent of synthetic fabrics. If you wanted to winter hike then, you needed wool. And being a poor student, my winter hiking wardrobe consisted of navy surplus wool pants (luckily I got the ones with the zipper instead of the 13 buttons), two army surplus wool shirts, wool balaclava, and ragg wool socks. When I could afford it, I bought some Stil-longs long underwear pants - wonderful quality soft wool. Also owned wool fishnet long underwear. My fav woolies ever are boiled-wool Dachstein mittens - almost completely windproof. For biking there was ProTogs, of which I still have a long-sleeved T-shirt with only a few moth holes. Currently all my socks are Smartwool. I own Smartwool boxers, two long-sleeved wool bike jerseys, and I have a collection of wool shirts from Goodwill, one a Pendleton. Too cheap to buy Smartwool shirts for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H.
    3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of wool as we understood it.
    Yes, I owe a lot to wool. Here's the story of how wool saved my life (OK, I'm exaggerating but only a little). The first day of a winter overnight hike we had to cross a stream about 30 yards wide. There were step stones maybe only a little underwater and it wasn't too icy. I was standing a little ways from shore helping other people across, then handed my camera to someone and started across myself. Slipped on a rock, lost my balance, and sat in the water. Stood up quickly but was wet from the waist down. Crossed the stream. Took off boots, poured out water, squeezed out socks, put socks and boots back on. Boots were all rubber (Army K-boots) with sealed insulation, so feet were fine. Continued hiking in wet wool pants with polypro longjohns underneath, temp maybe 25F. Within 10 minutes the polypro felt dry and warm. The wool pants continued to keep me warm but they held water and got somewhat frozen, providing good wind protection. At camp I removed the wool pants, with longjohns still dry underneath. Put on fuzzy camp pants and windpants and was happy. Left the wool pants hanging in a tree over night. The funny thing was, they froze stiff in a really funny position and I couldn't get them on the next day. I had to beat them against a tree to make them fit into my pack. I hiked that day in longjohns and windpants, which was quite fine.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

hehehe, Lisa, I'm sittin' here laughing my azz off and can't possibly explain that one to my S.O. Somehow, that just makes it even funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Hmmm... "in search of more and better wool." Ain't it the truth.

Well, I'm a relative wool newbie, but I learn quickly. Yes, I too have aspirations of rooms filled with smartwool and ibex. Ahhhh, feel the love of smooth, caress-able wool.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne