Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 221 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

BBBRRRrrrr Pass the Fur and Wear the Wool!

To disable ads, please log-in.

How 'bout that snow Pac NWers.

I hope everyone got home safely. We've got about two inches or so here. DP is supposed to fly to Vegas tomorrow night for a conference

Bless my Smartwool, Icebreaker, Dale's Of Norway, Pendleton blankets, handmade-by-friend, cashmere, Irish Fisherman style (on its way) and misc.

Still no Ibex though. Here is a fun site that I might indulge in if I was working...

http://www.nevedesigns.com/index.htm

Warning: Lay a firm grasp on your wallet before clicking on link.

Quill
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

We've got about 4 or 5 inches, and it doesn't seem to be melting.

I've made the happy discovery that my beloved Levis that I couldn't wear anymore because they were annoyingly loose are PERFECT for wearing over wooly longies!

But why can't I find a matched pair of wool socks? Where did they all go?

And how did SKnot manage to lose a full set of wool long underwear right when he really needs it?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    We've got about 4 or 5 inches, and it doesn't seem to be melting.

I've made the happy discovery that my beloved Levis that I couldn't wear anymore because they were annoyingly loose are PERFECT for wearing over wooly longies!

But why can't I find a matched pair of wool socks? Where did they all go?

And how did SKnot manage to lose a full set of wool long underwear right when he really needs it?
    what color socks are you looking for?

ps we STILL have about 1" of snow... and we live 10 miles south of you.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Well we in Vancouver still have about 20 cm on the ground and it ain't going nowhere since it's going to be -5C and less for the next few days/nights. I live on campus at UBC, a fairly remote area of town, and we didn't have power all day. Now the power is back but the steam plant is still warming up, so we're all freezing! I'm wearing a toque, down jacket, UGS, other layers, etc. and I'm still freezing. :I

Was a great day for wool though!

My brother, as it turns out, is just as big a wool fan as I... he introduced me to Swobo wool cycling apparel over the holiday. Does anyone have any Swobo, and what do you think of it? My brother and I went for a Thanksgiving morning mountain bike ride, and had a whole discussion about wool cycling gear. I went to the website and the women's selection is not as wide as the men's (no full-length wool tights, sadly), but there are some wool beauties.

Check out http://www.swobo.com/product_w.aspx?...=SWB01500&pn=0

Katie
    Last edited by ktbikes; 11-27-2006 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fix URL

Deb - can you wrap over the closed velcro with electrical tape?
    Guess I could, but I'd have to waste alot of tape, since I don't keep the battery on the bike except when I need it (since it interferes with my knock knees and my hand hits it when I shift). Maybe I just need to look for a different headlight.

side note: y'all know the etymology of the word "velcro"?
    Knotted, please tell us the etymology of the word "velco". Please. Please. Please. I'm begging you.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Well, it's official. I'm not a member of the wool weenies club, and never will be. I ordered the Ibex Collo shirt, and it was too itchy so I sent it back. Then I ordered the Steep and Cheap Smartwool shirt last week, and it, too, is too itchy, so I will try to sell it to someone here who didn't get in on the Steep and Cheap deal or I'll send it back. I can wear Smartwool socks (the only way I've found to keep my feet warm on cold morning commutes) but that's it.

It's probably for the best, because being a vegan I have issues with wool anyway, but I was hoping to find a way to stay a bit warmer on my cold commutes with a nice warm base layer. The search continues...

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

SmartWool is not perfect?? (doh!)

Learned a little lesson today- that merino microweight is not perfect in every way.
    I was taking off my Smartwool microweight longsleeve crewneck shirt today (in Orchid color), and I was pulling the cuff rather roughly to get it off my arm...and my finger poked right through the fabric making a little hole!!
    Mind you, i have like NO fingernails sticking out beyond my fingers at ALL, so this was just a case of my fingertip pushing too hard, right through the fabric.

So, fellow WW's, we must actually attempt to TAKE CARE of our precious woolens, they are not completely indestructable, despite rumors to the contrary.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Learned a little lesson today- that merino microweight is not perfect in every way.

So, fellow WW's, we must actually attempt to TAKE CARE of our precious woolens, they are not completely indestructable, despite rumors to the contrary.
    We must also watch out for moths. (I didn't want to say that too loudly)

Last week I gave in to wool lust and ordered an Ibex T-shirt. Very nice attractive shirt, but I'm afraid the extra fabric in the color piping over the shoulders may not feel good under a backpack. But I'll find plenty of other uses for the shirt. Though I'll avoid wrenching in it - don't want to try and wash bike grease out of expensive wool.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    But I'll find plenty of other uses for the shirt. Though I'll avoid wrenching in it - don't want to try and wash bike grease out of expensive wool.
    In addition to wrenching, we should try to avoid retching in our expensive wool shirts as well.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    In addition to wrenching, we should try to avoid retching in our expensive wool shirts as well.
    LOL. Good one, Lisa. Though I might be able to stay clean while retching, and I definitely can't while wrenching. And I guess we should avoid wringing as well (while laundering, that is).

DebW - those Agate T's are mighty nice. I have a pale purple-y one. The Qu-T doesn't have piping, that might work better under pack straps. The fabric also seems to be a bit heavier.

Here's the link to DivingBiker's Smartwool 3/4 length sleeves.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...d=1#post148412

I just got mine, same color, in size L. I like it quite a bit. The fabric is pretty light, on a par with Ibex's Qu-T but not as light as the Agate T. Certainly not as heavy as Ibex's Norge/Norse crew! The 3/4 length sleeves are kinda cute. The orange part sticking out has a slit all the way to the gray (sort of a floppy French cuff) The torso is nice and long for me, plenty to tuck in but it still looks ok out. In person the orange is a pretty happy deep peachy color. Not garish. I'm a red-head and I can get away with this orange.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

The 3/4 length sleeves are kinda cute.
    Hmmm, you must have much longer arms than I do, because the sleeves are pretty much long sleeves on me. They end just barely above my wrists. I wish I could wear this shirt, because I really like the style of it.

I'm wearing mine today. definitely 3/4 sleeves. It's less than 25 degrees out,
    wool underwear seemed to make sense!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Washed my dang-blasted wool duofold longjanes last night, and was congratulating myself that THIS time they didn't spontaneously sprout holes all along the seams. (probably cuz there is so much extra stitching along there by now!) Pulled 'em on - OOPS! Several holes up near the waist. Wore 'em anyway. Sick 'n tired of sewing them up.

I need new wooly longjanes!

I was all set to get these from Duluth Trading Co, until I read the bit about the cotton crotch gusset. Uh-oh.
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...eature=Link_12

I think I'll get these from Ibex. I'm so happy with the same weight Norge crew and Roaster Boxers, that I really should spend the money to get the good stuff. Next year.
    http://www.ibexwear.com/F06/View_Pro...&CategoryLine= They are heavy enough that I would be comfy wearing them as running tights, too.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 11-29-2006 at 03:59 PM.