Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 171 of 221 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 3311

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I'll ask my friend up in New England, 'cause from what I could tell they were pretty big with the vermont/new englander crowd.

From reading this thread, if you get a really really big pair of ragg wool mittens, you can boil them yourself till they shrink down:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...hp/t-2379.html

The person saying how to do that is DebW, I wonder if it's the same DebW on here.
    Yup, same DebW. I believe I mentioned Dachsteins very early on in this thread. I've had mine for 30 years. I bought some for friends from Campmor about 7 years ago. I've not actually tried boiling my own.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Wore my Wallaroo boxers (Sugoi) for the first time today for running. It was around freezing point and I was planning to be out for at least 90 minutes.

I was skeptical (I don't wear boxers generally) but I completely forgot about them as soon as I walked out of the door. Very comfy, didn't grip me or pinch me in any way. And my bum stayed nicely warm.

I was a wool-lady on my run: only my shoes, my tights and my windbreaker jackets were not made of wool. I had wool socks, a thick-ish Icebreaker top, wool boxers, wool bra, wool gloves, and wool beanie.

My name is Grog and I am a woolweenie.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    Do you know if these Dachstein mittens be purchased anywhere in the US? I've tried looking myself but am coming up 'empty handed.'
    I was wondering the same thing! How ridiculous would shipping be from the UK?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I wore one of my Shaks, with a Craft base layer and my Go lite jacket, with the sleeves off, along with my Jones Ware hiking pants and Ibex boy shorts, for a snowy hike today. I felt very wool-ish! I even changed into my Smart Wool liners after i warmed up and took off my heavier gloves.
    I love my Jones Ware pants. They look like yoga pants and are wide on the bottom, so my hiking boots fit underneath. Plus, I had them do a semi-custom sizing, since I was sort of in between sizes and the length. It only cost $10.00 extra. I even wore them cycling last week, just had to put a band around the ankle.

Well, while we're on the subject of what wool we wore, here's what I wore for my snowy hike today. Ibex Loose Tights on the bottom, and on top, an Icebreaker midweight zip-neck with a lightweight Icebreaker tank underneath and an Icebreaker vest over top. Also a Smartwool lightweight hat, wool mittens, and wool socks. I would have worn a pair of my Icebreaker boy shorts but both were in the laundry. The only non-wool pieces of clothing I had on were my sports bra and shoes.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    For me they are too bulky for biking though (prolly wouldn't be biking in sub zero anyway).
    Yeah, I don't bike in weather that cold anyways!
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    then last on top of those a pair of men's Manzella brand ski shell gloves which are quite warm, lightweight, & windstopper.
    Oh yes, I love Manzellas too. My favorites are the thin silkweight ones. I trashed my last pair backpacking in Iceland (they did not hold up scrambling on rough rocks) and replaced them immediately upon returning home. When I'm generating enough heat from body activity and I just need a thin glove that blocks wind but doesn't hinder dexterity, they're my favorite choice. The men's version fits my hands (broad palm, stubby fingers) very nicely.

Geez, can you tell I'm a bit of a Glove Ho?

Patagonia wool huge discount at 6pm.com today

and all other Patagonia stuff, wool or not...

Wool for everyone

Just did a bunch of holiday shopping on TE and Ibex.com.

Yikes.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Does anyone own a pair of Ibex Energy Tights? What are your impressions and how is the fit/sizing?
    Thanks in advance.

I went on a short hike with my cycling group today. It was about 25, but the wind was blowing hard enough to make it feel like about ten degrees F.
    When I got there, one of the women (who was wearing jeans and regular sneakers) said, "Oh my God, aren't you freezing?" I was like, "why would you ask that?"
    I had on my wool Jones Ware hiking pants, Ibex boy shorts, Smart Wool socks and hiking boots on the bottom. On top I had a base layer (not wool), an Icebreaker top, and my Go Lite jacket, along with mittens and a hat (not my coldest weather hat, but a good one).
    It turns out that she thought that because I wasn't bulked up with thick puffy stuff, I would be cold. I told her one word: wool.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It turns out that she thought that because I wasn't bulked up with thick puffy stuff, I would be cold. I told her one word: wool.
    I used to freeze to death before I discovered the magic of real wool and thin layering. Wouldn't matter how many bulky acrylic sweaters, hats, mittens, and cotton 'thermal' waffle underwear layers I had on....BBBBRRRRRRRRR...freezing!! Plus I always looked like Michelin man.

Now I can have 4 or 5 layers on and still look like I'm wearing maybe 2 layers.
    Crankin, I can't tell you how many times people have said to me "Do you mean to tell me you're not COLD?!?" and I always answer: "One word....wool."
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    When I got there, one of the women (who was wearing jeans and regular sneakers) said, "Oh my God, aren't you freezing?" I was like, "why would you ask that?"
    I had on my wool Jones Ware hiking pants, Ibex boy shorts, Smart Wool socks and hiking boots on the bottom. On top I had a base layer (not wool), an Icebreaker top, and my Go Lite jacket, along with mittens and a hat (not my coldest weather hat, but a good one).
    And this was the lady wearing JEANS? You should have been the one asking her that question! I guess some people don't know that "don't wear jeans or other cotton clothing" is one of the cardinal rules of hiking .
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I can't get over how warm my thin wool tights are and I've worn wool for years! I'm taking advantage of a break in the frigid weather to wash them. I'm glad wool can be worn many times without laundering. Our bedroom smells of damp sheep I also grabbed the pile of wool socks, and my "big, ugly green wool sweater" which is my absolute favorite thing to wear in the whole world. It better not get really cold again before it is dry!

Deb

Jolt, this was a 3 mile hike in an urban forestry center in Portsmouth, so not everyone was in full hiking gear; this person is somewhat different in her cycling gear, too, although not to this extent! However, she couldn't believe I didn't have long underwear on. I did think about it, but really, the only part of my that was cold was my face. I should have been wearing my neck gaiter.
    I really didn't know how long we were going to be out, so I dressed as I always would for a hike. And yes, I did think of saying the thing about wearing jeans, but this woman is somewhat, well, weird. She's the stereotypical artist who is totally disorganized and uncoordinated, but super talented in what she does. When we are on rides, I have to stay far away from her because she routinely falls on rides and she also will come careening up and pass me and then give me a dirty look when I drop her on a climb.
    Anyway, I was surprised that someone who spends so much time in athletic pursuits was dressed like this.

*shrug*

I have a ton of wool. and I hike in jeans all the time. I have a ton of other technical pants. I've yet to kill myself. I also... hike in cotton t shirts in the summer preferably.

I'm pretty sure I did the Inca trail in jeans... I did have an alpaca sweater, hat, and gloves, if that's any consolation.

I guess it depends what you call "hiking"... lots of times... I just consider things taking a walk in the woods as opposed to a hike. If I'm walking in the woods, no worries wearing jeans - they're thick and abrasion resistant and I can stick a wool layer underneath. If I'm actually doing a strenuous up a mountain hike, I probably am not wearing jeans. But in either case, I've got a backpack with an emergency kit, matches, and emergency blanket.

I spent the last week swaddled in wool - skiing when it's -10 Fahrenheit with 20-60 mph winds... I won't say I was warm on the lifts, but I never got frostbite, even with just 1 layer of smartwool socks on my toes (my friend skiing with me did get frost bite on her toes). dachstein mitts did keep my fingers warm, but the loss of dexterity really annoyed me. I had merino wool glove liners underneath.

Black diamond patrol gloves or whatever those are - weren't very warm in such conditions, which was funny given that they've been wayyy too warm the last couple years while skiing.