Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 221 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

this one, perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    here is the info:

http://www.secondascent.com
    Second Ascent
    5209 Ballard Ave NW
    Seattle WA

They seem to sell new and used stuff.

And the charming fellow who gave me the info told me he also rides a lot and next time I see him I have to tell him everything about those cycling girlfriends in Seattle!!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

from an Ibexian

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    feel the yearning.... feel the love.... you know you want them....

http://www.ibexwear.com/F06/View_Pro...&CategoryLine=

We're here to support you in your decision to dress head-to-toe in wool.

Hi KnottedYet and other "woolweenies"! I couldn't resist jumping into this discussion and I hope you all won't mind my presence. I need to first say that I work for Ibex, so obviously I am highly biased toward the wonders of wool and specifically of Ibex merino for cycling and other pursuits. I see that some of you have discovered a couple of our most popular "lifestyle" type pieces, like the Ultimate Guide and the Loose Tights, but has no-one been turned on to our jerseys (like the La Luna) or shorts and knickers (El Fitos)? I'm hungry for feedback, ideas, suggestions, etc., so I'll be on the lookout for wool-for-cycling related thoughts, be they complimentary or critical. I love cycling, too, so I'm looking forward to being in this forum (my first one!) Thanks for listening, and happy trails to those of you who are riding through the winter. Maybe after living in Vermont for a couple more years I'll be tough enough to commute to work in the snow!

Many of us have the cycling knickers! I wear them or my Terry Precision skorts when I ride. If I ever decided to go to a pair of plain shorts again, I'd buy the Ibex shorts.

The jerseys are too expensive for me. I don't buy jerseys anyway, because I need long sleeves all the time and because they are too much money to spend on a "single use" thing.

My usual cycling top is my Ibex Norgie long sleeve crew. If it's really hot I just wear a tank-top with my long sleeved SPF shirt (Kokatat) over it. I would love to be able to get the athletic-style Ibex tank top again, with built-in bra.

Shagge - go through the entire "apparel" forum, there are many other discussions of wool clothing.

And the wool-weenies will be HAPPY to bend your ear! Sizing! Colors! Styles! We are your ideal test market: active, opinionated, and erudite!

Knot-6-Ibex-pieces-and-counting
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 12-29-2006 at 11:19 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

*Woolweenies Ibex Alert*

http://www.altrec.com/search/?words=...nd=IBE&redir=1

Roaster boxers (and other stuff) on sale and FREE SHIPPING!

(many thanks to Toni, who sent me the alert! )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks KnottedYet! "Active, opinionated, and erudite"--sounds like my kind of crowd! I was going to say you all seemed "fit, smart, and savvy" before, but I was being shy. Since my last post I did poke around in the "Apparel" forum a bit more and saw several more conversations about wool-while-cycling. I felt a little silly for missing those before, but hopefully I'm getting with the program now. Thanks for helping me navigate.

The Norgie is a good choice for cool weather cycling, especially since you're trying to be smart with your $ and buy clothing that works for other activities and occasions (though I have kept my Serrano on all day long because I actually think it's quite stylish and super comfy).

This is the Ibex I wear on the bike, in case anyone is curious.

In the summer: Asta Sport Top (with shelf bra). Oh, and here's some good news--we're working on a "seamless" merino line of underwear (sports bras, tops, briefs, runner shorts, and even thongs!) that will kick the Asta's *** (imo).

Also in the summer, I wear the Peregrine tank top and the La Luna (not at the same time). I don't have the shorts yet because my friend in the design department tells me the fit will be much improved next season (we had some issues before, but we've worked them out).

In the fall: Serrano top (longsleeve). Mine has a half-zip but the newer version is full-zip. Mine also has two diagonal zip pockets in back, which are great for keys, goo, an energy bar, cell phone, etc. One disadvantage of pockets in this fabric is that the pockets stretch out if you load them with heavy stuff (but it springs back when you wash the jersey). The Serrano fabric, by the way, is similar in weight and feel to the Norgie, so it gives the same amount of warmth, breathablity, and comfort.

Also in the fall, I wear the El Fitos. I absolutely love these, especially because they don't make my skin feel suffocated like lycra does.

In the winter (before I whimp out) I wear a Woolies Zip-T baselayer top under my Serrano. If I need some wind blocking or if it's rainy, I wear my Floe Vest (wool softshell) or my Neve Jacket (we aren't making this any more, and I'm sad about that. I think it rocks, for teleskiing too, but we just weren't selling enough.)

Oh, and I can't forget the Meru Hat. We give these away when we sponsor cycling events, and people rave and rave about them. They are great under helmets.

It sounds like most of you live in warmer climes (am I wrong?), but if you do any cycling in frigid temps, our Loden Gloves and Kilometer Gloves do a good job keeping your digits warm.

My husband and I rode the Great Divide a few years ago, before we re-discovered wool, and I swear we would have been much happier (and less smelly) campers had we traded in our plastic layers for wool ones.

Anyway, I've probably gone on too long. Send me your sizing, color, and style suggestions, and I'll forward them along to our head designer. She'll LOVE hearing your feedback!

Wool underwear! YES YES YES!!!!! (just make sure those shorts have long legs so they don't creep around... )

I can hardly wait! Wool underwear tops... mmmmm. Wool underwear shorts... mmm

I love my Roaster Boxers, don't mind the seams. You won't stop making them, will you?

Ibex sizes work peachy for me (Large in everything, tops and bottoms, and the sleeves are LONG enough, which is always a real treat!) But I know some of the other TE'rs have sizing issues.

(hey, does Ibex need a rep in Seattle? )
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 12-29-2006 at 12:07 PM.

No, we'll keep making the Roasters as long as people keep buying them! The seamless pieces will be lighter weight than the Roasters.

Long sleeves are an Ibex specialty. Cyclists and nordic skiiers generally love this, but others (I hear) have to roll up cuffs on occasion.

What are some other sizing issues amongst the TE'rs?

Oh, and we already have a rep in Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by Shagge View Post
    Oh, and we already have a rep in Seattle!
    bummer.....

Title 9 sale time, too! (aren't we glad I only worked a half day today?)

Smartwool stuff is on sale.

Also some wool sweaters, including this one for you size M gals:
    http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/pr...ProductID=1365

(Shagge- don't let Ibex stuff get as flimsy as Smartwool, ok?)

This is the Ibex I wear on the bike, in case anyone is curious.

Also in the fall, I wear the El Fitos. I absolutely love these, especially because they don't make my skin feel suffocated like lycra does.
    Shagge, what is the chamois/pad like in the El Fitos? They got a rave review on the adventurecycling site.

I'm hungry for feedback, ideas, suggestions, etc., so I'll be on the lookout for wool-for-cycling related thoughts, be they complimentary or critical.
    Well, since you asked, why are women's T-shirts made with such short arms? I find that I get chafed in the upper arms while paddling or hiking with poles if the short sleeves aren't long enough. So I mostly wear either men's or unisex T-shirts. I picked up a women's Agate T on sale and really wish the sleeves were longer. Also wish it didn't have the extra piping fabric on top of the shoulders because that could be irritating under pack straps. I know I could have gotten a Qu T in mens and avoided these problems, but it wasn't on sale, and I never know if men's small or medium will fit better.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Welcome Shagge!
    (and thanks Knot for alerting me to the new Woolweenie action flurry!)

I would be too embarrassed to admit how much Ibex stuff I have "invested" in this year.

Just today, DH and I went on a 35 mile, almost 4 hour ride in 31degrees F.
    Here's what I wore, from head to foot:
    -Louis Garneau junior balaclava
    -SmartWool helmet liner
    -Helmet
    -Underarmour sport bra
    -Ibex woolies base layer (longsleeve)
    -SmartWool crewneck LS base layer
    -Salvation Army thick merino turtleneck
    -SheBeest WindPro jacket
    -polarfleece liner gloves
    -Ibex Climawool gloves
    -Shebeest long Tech Tights w/chamois
    -Ibex Approach tights
    -Smartwool knee socks
    -very thick hi-tech hiking socks
    -Thinsulate heavy hiking boots

At the end of our ride, I was not tired, but my fingers were much colder than I would have liked, and my toes were very painfully cold. Other than that, I was fine!

You asked for Ibex suggestions, here are mine:

I got Approach tights on sale this xmas for my 2 grown daughters & one "daughter-in-love"- they all LOVE them! I am addicted to my Approach tights- I wear them when cycling and when not cycling. They feel so good against the skin, and I love that they are thick. I did get an "Amelia" LS Ibex top on sale, I like the shape but I think it is just too see-through. Good for sleeping in I guess.

I would like to see your colors change more frequently.
    Also, your "weekly special" has been the Neve jacket for what seems like Forever.
    I don't buy "jerseys" per se- I find short sleeves very unflattering on me. I always wear either longsleeve, 3/4 sleeve, or tank tops (no sleeves). I like wearing regular merino tops for cycling- not specifically "cycling jerseys".
    I too would like to see some more underwear from Ibex. Especially tank tops with built in bra shelf and SKINNY straps so they don't show at the neckline.
    I wish there were more color choices for the Woolies line. I also would like to see more turtlenecks or mockturtlenecks WITHOUT zippers. There IS such a thing as having too many tops with zippers, zippers are not "cuddly".
    I love my Switchback pullovers and vest. I got them in Persimmon because they would be visible to traffic on the road.
    Thanks for asking!!!
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

boy, this thread is getting expensive for me to read!
    you guys have excellent comments for the Ibex rep.
    my main gripe is here i have all these nice wool things and
    a yucky bra that holds in the cold underneath.
    sounds like this is going to change!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Hey Shagge - I want 2 more pair of Roaster Boxers. I can get 'em from Altrec for $30 each right now. If they are likely to go on sale at Ibex for a similar price, I can wait. (does Ibex make more money if I get 'em from the Ibex outlet or from Altrec?) Any hints to help me plan my shopping?

Shagge, my Ibex wishlist includes:

1. Make the cycling knickers shorter for us petite gals. The end of the El Fito tights hits me right on the widest part of the calf, instead of somewhere between the knee and the bulge of the calf.

2. Make the cycling jerseys sleeveless or with cute little cap sleeves. Longish sleeves don't show off my nice girly muscles, they just make my arms look pudgy.

3. Wool bras (real bras, with underwires, in big boob sizes) and undies (prefer thong but could settle for bikini).

That is all.