Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking forward ...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I learned a very valuable lesson today at the Lowell 'cross race that I thought I would share. I was having a GREAT race today, and was feeling good. For about a half a lap, I could see another racer closing in on me; she is the other woman who raced Porky Gulch, and she also beat me at both UNH and yesterday at Plymouth. I know that she doesn't have great technical skills, but her endurance is high, and she has some power.

As we went into the second section of singletrack. I looked back to see how close behind me she was. Here's the lesson (are you all paying attention?):

DON'T LOOK BACK in a race!

In looking behind me, I failed to see the very large, very pointy rock IN FRONT of me. Hit it head on, and flatted instantly... So much for my great race. I picked the bike up and started to run. Let me tell you that it was a LONG run from where I flatted, through the rest of the woods, over the barriers and then around the ENTIRE track before I was able to get to the pit.

Thankfully, DH met me there and changed out my front wheel for his, telling me to make sure not to flat that, as his race was next ;-). The wheel change let me finish (and I don't think I finished last...), but I was discouraged at my stupidity. The good news is that I won't look back ever again ;-).

Oh yeah - my calves are KILLING me from running so far, and my shoulder is ALREADY very sore and bruised from running with the bike.

On a positive note on this race, the officials told us they had to increase the field size of the women's race today so that MORE women could race. Let's keep it up, ladies!

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    DON'T LOOK BACK in a race!
    Tough way to learn a lesson. You have my sympathies. Good reminder tho. Nothing screws with your finish as much as a wreck or a mechanical and it sure bites when it's your ODF (own damn fault).
    -------------------------
    http://sydspinnin.blogspot.com

I'd say looking back is a good tactical skill to learn, especially if the course doesn't lend itself to seeing where your competition is. You just have to learn to pick the right location on the course to do it.

Sorry about your flat, Shefly, but congratulations on Saturday's race.

This about sum's up my race:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lorri_growl_smaller.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	2129  

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    I'd say looking back is a good tactical skill to learn, especially if the course doesn't lend itself to seeing where your competition is. You just have to learn to pick the right location on the course to do it.
    I agree. But looking back when you're making a right hand turn onto singletrack is probably NOT the right place...

Lorri - looks like we have the same "finish face" (from Plymouth on Sat)!