Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tell me if I should buy a crosser

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hmm....

I've been dreaming about a second bike to replace the heavyweight tractor that is sitting in my basement for getting around town.

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    Kitsune06, you don't need multiple bikes. A cross bike does it all -- throw road wheels on it and it's a road bike, if you've got generous gearing it's a rigid mtn bike, get a frame with eyelets for racks and it's a commuter! Or, just try some cross races on your mtn bike. Beginners are allowed to race on mtn bikes.
    I mightaswell buy a hardtail MTB or trekking bike or whatever, but

• a CX bike is sexier
    • it has roadie bars

and I just inquired about a used, reasonably priced cx bike my size:
    Empella Cyclocross - Carbon fork, Shimano Ultegra, Frogless brakes....

Would you get it if it fits? I would like to use it for winter riding, perhaps on forest roads, and in town.
    Can it be used on trails at all?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Absolutely!

I use my CX bike for all kinds of purposes - trails (although try not to hit too much technical singletrack with it - carriage roads and double track are great), dirt/logging roads, paved roads and bike paths. It really is multi-purpose, and at this time of the year, is my "go-to" ride unless I am headed out for a specific MTB ride.

I say, if it fits, go for it and enjoy!

SheFly

I love my 'cross bike, too. Took her out this morning and had a great time, despite the cold temps. Agree with SheFly about the versatility. My bike handles remarkably well on pavement, too, even with 'cross tires. If you're thinking about winter riding, you might look for a bike with disc brakes. Rim brakes can be dicey in snowy weather-- happened to me last year when I was riding one of my road bikes--rims froze & temporarily couldn't stop! Got disc brakes on my 'cross bike and I like them a lot. Also, they work much better in rain than rim brakes.

Only caution on disc brakes for your cross bike is that they are not legal if you decide to race....

Velobambina - can't imagine how bad that would stink not to be able to stop .

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Only caution on disc brakes for your cross bike is that they are not legal if you decide to race....

SheFly
    Not necessarily....it is illegal to have disc brakes at a UCI race, but you might be able to have them at your local series.
    Just keep pedaling.

I asked about the gearing and it has a 39-44 in the front. I am assuming that's normal but I fear 39 is too big for me.

I have a compact on my road bike and I need it because I could not climb grades over 10% with the regular double it came with.

No intention on riding in snow or nasty weather. Or racing for that matter...
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

So?
    Get a smaller one, 34T for instance, BBB Parts sells them in lots of different sizes for normal and compact cranks, for shimano and campa.

I would love to have a CX bike for the winter, those cx bikes are much easier to clean, you can also fit is with a roadwheel, you can decide to take a turn into the woods ... you name it
    My new baby for 2007

Hi Mimosa,

much as I'd love to do that, I doubt it is possible.
    I am assuming this is a regular double crankset and apparently 38 is the smallest you could go.

Can someone confirm that?

Mhhhh .... correct. I missed that one, I thought those CX bikes normally had compacts but apparently not.
    My new baby for 2007

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I am assuming this is a regular double crankset and apparently 38 is the smallest you could go.

Can someone confirm that?
    My '06 Specialized Tri-Cross has a 34/48 chainring. I'd kinda like to have one more gear on the back for hills, but the front rings are just right for me. For 2007, they've come out with both double- and triple-ring models, so they're covering all the bases. I don't know what frame size or price you're looking for, but you might want to check out the Tri-Cross.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I asked about the gearing and it has a 39-44 in the front. I am assuming that's normal but I fear 39 is too big for me.
    That will depend on your rear cassette also. For instance, on my road bike, I have a 39/54 front, but I have a (9 speed) 12-27 rear so it offers me plent of gears. On my cross bike I have a 36/46 upfront and a (10 speed) 12-27 in the back. So if you think a 39 upfront is too big, is that with a 23,25 or 27 rear gear? It is much easier to change rear cassette than your chainrings.
    Just keep pedaling.

I agree with Madisongirl. For next season, DH and I are going with singles on the front and MTB cassettes on the rear to give us plenty of gearing. I find that I tend to try not to shift too much on the front anyway, for fear of dropping my chain.

Of course, if you are riding vs. racing, you can also put an MTB cassette on the rear to increase your gear ratios...

SheFly