Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Race schedule in the Northeast?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am curious about this cx business. Your race reports are intriguing, as are the pictures. I'd like to check out one of the events in New England just to see it live (and cheer on any TE folks who are racing). I'm really interested to see some mounting and dismounting techniques, as that really slows me down on MTB rides when I either fall down and have to get started again, or bail out to prevent falling down

You gals are awesome!

Linda

Hey Linda! Too bad I didn't get your note a few days ago, since we were racing in Plymouth on Saturday...

Next Sat we race in Sterling, MA and there is a race in Lake Pleasant, MA on Sunday (not sure yet if we are doing that one or not... Of course, Nationals are in Providence the weekend of Dec 14 - I will be getting my butt kicked on both Fri and Sun that weekend.

For a complete list of the remaining races, you can check at http://www.bikereg.com - Click the Cyclocross link at the top, and then choose New England. If you decide to come out, let me know - always nice to meet new people!

SheFly (Cathy)

Thanks for the info and the link. Yeah, Plymouth would have been a good race to catch...Oh well, we may try to get over to Sterling or down to Providence. I'll let you know if we have firm plans to go to either race. Good luck!

Linda

Hey Shefly if you go to Lake Pleasant...You may see me...I am a volunteer..supposed to be registering people I think :-)

Thanks, im4smiley! DH and I decided not to race tomorrow after all. I have been up at the crack of dawn for two and a half weeks, and another day of that will likely kill me . Plus, today's race was HARD. Not sure I will have the legs for another one tomorrow... I think we're going for a nice long tandem ride instead.

They did just add a race next Sunday though - in Wrentham. Will likely do that since it is local.

Hey Telegirl - was that you at Sterling today on a Specialized Rock Hopper with big wheels and drop bars? If so, I was the one who told you what a good job you were doing for your first race (and what a race you picked - I think this was the hardest one I did all season). Congrats if it was you!

SheFly

Ummmm... I chickened out. That's right (or is that Turkeyed out, since it is thanksgiving and all)- I just couldn't bring myself to do it... But I yelled LOUDLY!!

Bikehubby came in 8th in his class and his brother got third in his class. And I have to say, what a KILLER course! I can't even believe ANYONE was able to jump up onto that three log leap-from-hell!

How did you do??

**Didn't mean to hijack the thread, Linda.... **
    The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it.

Continued Hijack....

Sorry Linda

Telegirl - I think that was the HARDEST cross race that I did all season. No place to recover, and the technical sections were VERY technical. I felt great for the first two laps, but then faded and couldn't hold with the lead group. At one point, I actually thought about just giving up and riding instead of racing . I actually felt badly - I had a lot of people cheering along the course, and I felt that I was letting them all down.

In the long run, I managed to finish 14th. Still not bad given a 34 person field, but not stellar either. There's always next week .

Come out and do Wrentham! And if any of you TE'ers are going to be at a 'cross race in the next few weeks, either as a participant or a spectator, let me know - would be great to connect!

SheFly

Hey Linda and she-fly

My last outing with at Lowell. I managed to stay in the race 2 laps.

I got scared again when the guys pack came up behind me. I wish I hadn't quit when I did, but it was better than before.

I recently got a mountain bike, and i've been out practicing. I am thinking about going to wrentham. It will be freezing!

My beef is the way they do the schedules, putting very large groups of masters guys or c guys either in with the women or a few minutes before.
    This guarantees that nervous newbies will have to avoid being crushed.
    Some of the other races are timed better so that there is 45 minutes between fields--so the prev. race would be done.

Anyhow, Linda you should come out to Wrentham at least to watch and see what its about.
    Crediamo in te, bici!

I'm definitely thinking about coming out to Wrentham. I still have to work things out with my BF in Nashua...We do the commute to each other on the weekends dance. I'll do a last minute post here if we are going to be there. Would love to cheer you on! Do you have a distinctive jersey I could keep an eye out for? And when will you (or anyone else who is going to be racing) be starting?

Linda

Chains and Linda --

I will also be at Wrentham on Sunday! This should be a fun race. Chains - were you wearing a gray jersey and tights at Lowell? Good job on staying in as long as you did, especially for your first race! That was a really fun course. I'm only bummed that I ended up flatting and having to run so far .

Re: starting. Typically I have seen two scenarios this season - start behind a big group of Master or C men, OR start behind the Elite Juniors. Both groups are faster than most of the women. DO NOT LET THEM INTIMIDATE YOU! You are racing too, and have just as much right to be where you are as they do. The good thing for you to do is not to stop, but to move to one side of the course as a group goes by. Remember that they have to PASS YOU - it is up to them to get around, not necessarily for you to make way for them. The Wrentham race has us starting 1 min behind the B Masters - that means that we will get passed, but don't let it phase you.

Linda - the B Women race at 10:01 in Wrentham. You can find all the race info and directions on bikereg.com. Unfortunately, there will be several of my teammates and I in the SAME jersey. I race for NEBC (red/white/blue). I wear a red/white/blue Giro Atmos helmet, and ride a silver/red/black Flyte cross bike. I'm also the tallest one on my team . If either of you see me, please introduce yourselves!

See you at the races, and good luck to everyone going!

SheFly (Cathy)

Linda and Shefly

I don't know for sure if I will be there sunday, I would like to, but I was thinking about it today, and I really don't have time. I have to take care of all kinds of things before I go away for Christmas.

anyway, Linda, make your BF take you to a race to check it out.

If I do show, it will be last minute.

Crediamo in te, bici!

I plan to be in Wrentham tomorrow...Will look for you in your red-white-and-blue!

Linda

Wrentham race day

Great race today, Shefly! We had a blast watching the races...looked like a LOT of hard work, but a lot of fun! What a perfect day to be out there. It was really great to see that stream of riders criss-crossing the hill, and the flow of dismount/jog over barriers/remount was very impressive to see! Don't know if I'll ever be out there, but it was really fun to watch. We bounced around on the mtb's in Foxborough for a while in the afternoon after leaving the race...I think I need to work on my mtb skills for a while first!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    Great race today, Shefly! We had a blast watching the races...looked like a LOT of hard work, but a lot of fun! What a perfect day to be out there. It was really great to see that stream of riders criss-crossing the hill, and the flow of dismount/jog over barriers/remount was very impressive to see! Don't know if I'll ever be out there, but it was really fun to watch. We bounced around on the mtb's in Foxborough for a while in the afternoon after leaving the race...I think I need to work on my mtb skills for a while first!
    Linda - it was SO GREAT to meet you and your BF yesterday! I felt like I had my own cheering section .

Imagine this - you are lined up ready to race and a woman standing in the crowd yells out "Are you Cathy?, I'm Linda!" Glad that you enjoyed watching the races, too.

BTW - as I recall, Foxboro is a pretty technical riding area! Hope to see you again soon. Want to come out to Nationals??

SheFly