Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Plymouth Cross Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

Woohoo! This race was SO MUCH FUN! Of course, I am comparing it to last week's UNH mud-fest, so anything without that much mud is sure to be a great time.

I really liked the course - lots of tight, twisty turns, some boggy grass sections (that were pretty fast), an awesome downhill singletrack (with off-camber, slippery root directly before hard left turn...), a section of sidewalk and then back into grassy ups and downs. There were two big run-ups and two barriers (no, not sets, two barriers - cross single barrier on grass, make some turns and come back across single barrier going in opposite direction (in the other lane)). The hardest part for me was not being able to clip into my pedals after the fun up - cleats were packed with mud (ok, there was some mud - but NOTHING like last week...).

I didn't get a great start in the race, unfortunately, and that worried me. Although the past couple of races I have gone out too fast, so I managed to slowly pick off some women who got better starts than I did. Each one of the laps, I managed to pick up more ground. The key for me was to lead going into the singletrack downhill. This let me control the pace through this section, and also let me get over the slimey root without much issue. Coming out onto the sidewalk in the last lap, my rear wheel felt a bit "off". At that point, there were at least two women not too far behind, so I decided that I didn't care if anything was wrong with it, I was just going! Sprinted into the finish for 6th - one of my better results this season.

Oh - and I have a bit of a beef... The woman who finished second in our race has been in a couple of my races lately. She's good - winning or placing second. She is then going on to race in the Elite women's races later in the day, and at Plymouth came fourth in the Elite race. I realize that holding a 4-only race will likely not garner enough participants, but it is discouraging to some of the rest of us who are 4s and don't have the option of racing Elite to be thrashed by someone who clearly should be racing at the Elite level. Not sure what to do, but thanks for letting me rant ;-)

Note to self - taking time off the bike during the week is a good thing ;-). I felt great for the entire race, and the results proved that out.

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Oh - and I have a bit of a beef... The woman who finished second in our race has been in a couple of my races lately. She's good - winning or placing second. She is then going on to race in the Elite women's races later in the day, and at Plymouth came fourth in the Elite race. I realize that holding a 4-only race will likely not garner enough participants, but it is discouraging to some of the rest of us who are 4s and don't have the option of racing Elite to be thrashed by someone who clearly should be racing at the Elite level. Not sure what to do, but thanks for letting me rant ;-)
    SheFly
    Well, sounds like she ought to cat up and either give 100% to one elite race, or use a men's race to expand her workout. Maybe she doesn't realize she's being perceived as a sandbagger. On the other hand, maybe she's trying to build her confidence to make the move. I don't know, but I can see why you'd be peeved.
    -------------------------
    http://sydspinnin.blogspot.com

She-Fly
    I think the chick you are talking about is Erin Duggan--she's a pro mountain bike racer. She shows up alot with Mary Lynn W, also a pro with Titus bikes.
    They are both real cool ladies, I don't think she'd be sandbagging. But I agree I think those two should ride elite. I think this is their first year 'crossing.
    Crediamo in te, bici!

SheFly
    I didn't think that was allowed..... Here you have to race in your category according to what your racing liscense says. The only way you can double up is to race your category, then you can also race in the appropriate masters category. I would think this would be the same rule nationally since everyone is goverened by USA Cycling, but maybe that is not the case...perhaps someone who knows more can chime in here.

For example, I'm a Cat 3 in CX so I can race the Cat 3 race (B race), but I can't race the Cat 4 race (C race) and can't race the Cat 1,2 race (A race). But if I'm feeling like a superstar and looking for a little extra punishment, I can also race in the Masters 30+ race which is basically comprised of really fast males.
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 12-01-2006 at 04:46 PM.
    Just keep pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by madisongrrl View Post
    I didn't think that was allowed..... Here you have to race in your category according to what your racing liscense says. The only way you can double up is to race your category, then you can also race in the appropriate masters category. I would think this would be the same rule nationally since everyone is goverened by USA Cycling, but maybe that is not the case...perhaps someone who knows more can chime in here.
    Our races here are typically 3-4 (B) races and 1-2-3 (A) races for women. So, if you were a Cat 3 'cross racer, you could legally race in both races.

Also, I never meant to insinuate that this person was a sandbagger. My real issue is that if someone can compete at an Elite level, and they are also racing at the B level, they are, effectively, taking upgrade points from those of us who are Cat 4 racers trying to upgrade to Cat 3.... Other than that - I am more than happy to race with women who are better than me - gives me something to shoot for!

SheFly

Our races here are typically 3-4 (B) races and 1-2-3 (A) races for women. So, if you were a Cat 3 'cross racer, you could legally race in both races.
    I think Velogirl posted this previously, but cyclocross races as of this year are supposed to be held according to category, but many local promoters have not switched over to this system yet...which they should. I know we race categories in both Wisconsin and Illinois.

Also, I never meant to insinuate that this person was a sandbagger. My real issue is that if someone can compete at an Elite level, and they are also racing at the B level, they are, effectively, taking upgrade points from those of us who are Cat 4 racers trying to upgrade to Cat 3.... Other than that - I am more than happy to race with women who are better than me - gives me something to shoot for!
    I think I would find this situation irritating....when these races get scored and reported to USA Cycling, which result do they report (cause results are posted and scored by Category). And if someone is racing in the Elite race, then they should by no means be racing the B or Cat 3 race. Not to mention those people taking upgrade points.
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 12-05-2006 at 06:50 AM.
    Just keep pedaling.