Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Honestly, I'd rather ride when it's cold (well, maybe not 30 degrees, but in the 40 range, perhaps) than in 100 degree heat. You can always dress for the weather, but it's hard to undress for the heat! I melt in the heat (could be that I'm so sweet and made of sugar! ).

But I don't agree that for a recreational cyclist who slows down in cold weather versus summer rides is "buying excuses" for poor performance. If you're riding consistently, your fitness shouldn't have changed that much. Sure, we all have off days and wonder why we left an anchor out to drag behind us some days - or gosh, I think I have a flat! - but it can be more difficult to ride in the cold. Not every body performs optimally in wide temperature ranges. Many things could slow a body down in the winter. No foul. No shame.

Its interesting, Regina, how we have both interpreted Kitsune's post differently.

I felt her "buying excuses" was more about riders who say "if I just had a better bike... different wheeels... a new set of cranks... a *brand-name* helmet" then they would be better/faster/stronger riders.

I certainly don't think recognising the weather and its effect on one's performance is "buying excuses". I didn't get that from Kit's post either.

Like you the heat really beggars my performance... and unlike many of the gals here, I don't ride outside in extreme cold because I know my muscles just wont do what I ask of them.
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 12-31-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Changing font colour

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Kitsune06 Guest
    RR, Your interpretation was more on what I meant. It just irks me that people will need name brand this or special that. I'm all for brand loyalty, but to have to advertize is excessive, to feel like it'll make you better for having it is mislead and misplaced faith.

That said, I think I do better in cold weather than warm. Blame my Wisconsin girl roots, but 35-40 is a good range for me. My commuting gear consisted of two layers (three if it was really, really cold, like below 30)... insulating pants, then rain pants over the top, dri-fit (or similar) long sleeved top, a 'vest' (poly sweat shirt with the sleeves removed) and rain jacket. All vents open, etc. gloves were my usu. fingerless fare with $5 stretch-gloves underneath. I don't clip, so I just wore wool socks and my docs (or for rain, my gore-tex patrol boots) REI beanie under helmet. I think the whole outfit comes to $120 or so (allowing that the boots are about seven years old, the jacket is used for other stuff, etc etc...) wearing this I would *still* overheat.

My standpoint on all this comes from hearing of the death of cyclocross as a layman's sport. the days when cx was taking your everyday bike, slapping wider tires on it, wearing gear like the above and going anaerobic hardcore on it for fun's sake in the snow, slush and cr@p instead of having a superlight bike, with clips and special gear etc. While the people who can afford that stuff will likely win, I'm going to be the person who comes as close as I can given my physical endurance- to the point where my shortcomings in equipment make the difference- and have to accept it. Gracefully. And then go have a recovery beer after to chase off the chill. I just can't see pouring that much money into a hobby if you don't have to.

ok, no fuss, new Q

I see you are in Montgomery county MD. R there any sat-sun rides this summer I can look forward to. I will be in that area from end of may til Jul.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    I felt her "buying excuses" was more about riders who say "if I just had a better bike... different wheeels... a new set of cranks... a *brand-name* helmet" then they would be better/faster/stronger riders.
    You mean it won't?????
    Well, guess I won't be getting those new Fulcrum Racing wheels if they won't get me up that hill faster!

Okay. I'll buy that.

But....sometimes you want some bling on you bike just for bling's sake. It's like putting 22" spinners on your Escalade. What's the point of that? Well, if you have to ask...there is no point. It just *is*.

p.s. Logdiva32 - I sent you a PM re: riding in MoCo.
    Last edited by 7rider; 01-01-2007 at 05:21 AM. Reason: added postscript.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Well of course the idea that a certain brand of helmet is going to make you faster is kind of silly for nonprofessionals- but then again noboby here was claiming it would!
    I'm no racer (more like a snail) and I have not run into people who blame poor racing performance on their cranks.
    All I know is that stuff like heavy winds and extreme cold will most certainly slow ME down. Winds can be good to push against though, for the extra workout.
    It's probably just as challenging to ride in 100F temps as it is to ride at below 30F. Some people do better in one over the other. I'm not quite sure yet whether I do better in extreme heat or cold. I do pretty well in 35-45 degrees, and I enjoy it. However, if I'm going to ride in sub-freezing cold I have found I need some pretty heavy duty layering to keep from freezing especially if I am out for several hours. An hour is fairly easy to keep warm in though.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^