Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What I did about it..........

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was on my old Schwinn going to the bank and 1 block from our business. I slowed to a stop at the red light. A car came up behind me; I gave my right arm out signal to turn right. It then moved along side me. The car gave no signal. Then as the light changed, the woman driving the car went right and almost hit me. I chased her down--not easy on a 1973 Schwinn. Luckily she caught a few more lights! Anyway, I eased up beside her at another stoplight and tapped on her window. She lowered it a bit, and I very politely informed her that she'd nearly run over me and to please be careful. She told me to get closer to the curb and sped off. But I got her license number! And as the police station was in the next block, I went in and reported the incident.

They asked if I wanted to have her issued a citation or did I want them to write her a letter. I chose the letter. Shoot--it's a small town and I'm on my green Schwinn a lot. Next time she might decide to do me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    They asked if I wanted to have her issued a citation or did I want them to write her a letter. I chose the letter. Shoot--it's a small town and I'm on my green Schwinn a lot. Next time she might decide to do me in.
    Well, good for you for doing something! I doubt I would have been brave enough to confront her directly. Hopefully the letter will make an impression. Unfortunately, I doubt it. Most of the truly clueless are pretty much immune to change. But you should still feel good about what you did!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Car drivers often don't see bikes right next to them at all. They are looking for other cars, and can literally look right at you and not "notice" you. I think if you are over to the right enough to have a car pull alongside and share the same lane, then for safety sake you should assume they might go left, straight, OR right (in front of you) when the light changes.
    There are other options I've read about and use myself, that might be safer:
    If you're staying close to the curb, stop a little ways before the intersection, so that you will wait at the light between the first and second cars rather than right next to the first car. That way you can turn and get eye contact with the driver behind you while you wait at the light, and also let the first car go first for a few seconds so you can see where they are headed and not get cut off unexpectedly. Or,
    Don't hug the right side of the lane at all when you get to the intersection. Get right in the middle of your lane and be a Real Vehicle so they can't sneak up alongside you even if they wanted, and signal the cars all around you boldly. You are much more visible to the cars directly behind you and in front of you, and less likely to get hit by them. You are partially invisible to cars beside you or if you are in their blind spots.
    Needless to say, if you are going to go left at an intersection you should never be on the right side of your lane (I realize you did NOT do this).
    Just some options to consider adding to one's arsenal of traffic moves.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most of the bike lanes in my neck of the woods "disappear" at intersections to force bikes to take the entire lane.

Sometimes it's good (when there isn't a ton of traffic and you can merge easily) and sometimes it's hairy. (and then I'll likely walk through the crosswalk as I don't like hairy intersections anyway.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Most of the bike lanes in my neck of the woods "disappear" at intersections to force bikes to take the entire lane.

Sometimes it's good (when there isn't a ton of traffic and you can merge easily) and sometimes it's hairy. (and then I'll likely walk through the crosswalk as I don't like hairy intersections anyway.)
    Yes, that's what I do- either take the lane in plain sight if it's a reasonable interestion, or walk acroos like a pedestrain if it's a really hairy intersection.
    Lisa

Lisa, I know what you're saying about lane position. However, this is a small town--not even a line down the middle of the street I was on. I was not all the way to the right. She stopped behind me at first. I made certain at that point to indicate my right turn. Then she eased up right beside me. Her remark to me when I caught her was that I should have been closer to the curb. There were no parked cars. I think the woman clearly saw me; she just didn't like the fact that I was even there.

yeah. if she hadn't seen you she would have said "Oh, I'm so sorry, i didn't see you!"
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    yeah. if she hadn't seen you she would have said "Oh, I'm so sorry, i didn't see you!"
    Or the ever popular "F__ off!"
    Lisa