Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

In last 2 years, I restarted having abit of microwaved oatmeal (about less than 1 c.) for brekkie with abit of skim milk. Real fruit..whatever we have in fridge on hand. Blueberries or raspberries only when in season and cheap. No sugar nor raisins necessary for my oatmeal bowl.

It has to be microwave, I'm jumping onto the bike for work commute, just before 5:30 am to start work..after dragging outta bed at 4:30 am.

Before oatmeal now...last time I had oatmeal..was when I was 19. I had it often as kid and teenager. It was made in a big pot over stove, for 6 children ..and lots of milk added to it. But no sugar nor spices. Probably a good thing.

I used think of oatmeal..as ugh. But now, a great quick breakfast start for early/lazy birds...
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-21-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Has anybody tried the fuzzy logic rice cooker? I've heard it works well, but haven't seen the specifics...

CA
    I have one, but the only thing I've ever cooked in it is rice. I think my little sis has done steel cut in hers, but this may have come up in conversation once five years ago, and my memory is fuzzy . . .

I use a small thermos for my oats when I don't have time to stand over a stove during the week. Can't stand instant. I use rolled oats here, but I am also a fan of steel cut, which I have not tried in the thermos as someone else did above.

Night before: 1/4 cu. rolled oats plus a bit of brown sugar, chopped walnuts, or flax seed, or whatever other dry ingredients I'm in the mood for, and maybe a pinch of sea salt.

Morning: fill with hot water from the thermal pot (really cool gadget that boils water then keeps it at 203 degrees -- available at any asian grocery store), and stir in a pat of butter. Seal thermos and put in pannier.

My commute is about half an hour, so oatmeal is ready by the time I get to work. I sometimes add a little bit of milk when I get there.

If it's not one thing it's another

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Has anybody tried the fuzzy logic rice cooker? I've heard it works well, but haven't seen the specifics...

CA
    I don't know about the "fuzzy logic rice cooker," but I do make steel cut oats in a rice cooker/steamer combo thing made by Sunbeam (unfortunately, it appears to be discontinued -- we got ours as a wedding gift over 8 years ago and we use it at least once a week). I've found I do need to add more water than is called for in the usual boil-on-the-stove method, or it comes out like a brick!

I guess this is sacrilegious, but I love my oatmeal sweet. I buy "regular" rolled oats and and usually add a couple pinches of brown sugar and/or a splash of (real) maple syrup. I don't often have them around, but my real favorite is to add chopped pecans on top of that. I usually cook my oatmeal in the microwave (another travesty!) in rice milk, or water if I don't have any rice milk on hand. This works very well for someone who doesn't have a slow cooker and likes having a hot breakfast that is a. ready in 5 minutes, b. very tasty, c. and requires next to no work.

I switch bfast around alot and one of the things I like to do is take the oatmeal (steelcut or old fashioned or even scottish) and add skim milk to it and refrigerate. I also add in whatever else I would of if I was cooking it, brown sugar, berries, nuts, etc. I leave it in there over night and then microwave it. The micro way is okay but sometimes I put it in a pot and refrigerate overnight and put the pot, lid and all, on the stove while I"m getting ready. Either way you put it in the fridge, put a cover on it or the fridge is going to suck the moisture out of it. Just a warning, it's pretty soft and creamy, some people don't like that.

Nobody has trouble with cleanup of your rice cooker?

Oats get so foamy and gummy on the stovetop - and when rice is foamy (seems to be worst with short grain regular brown rice) it's a real PITA to clean my Zojirushi cooker.

I tried barley in the cooker once and it sent foam all over my kitchen counters, the inside and outside of the cooker top, it was ugly.

So I've been afraid to try anything but plain rice.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I haven't had any cleaning problems - white rice, brown rice, quinoa, soup, risotto, and pretty much everything else you can think of. I'm usually cooking for 2 - maybe I don't fill it up enough to have a problem?

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

While I'm waiting for the water in the tea kettle to heat, I put old-fashioned oats in a bowl with raisins and walnuts and a hint of brown sugar, and pour hot water over it from the tea kettle. While my tea steeps, I eat the oatmeal, and then the I drink my tea. This is an every single morning ritual. I don't care that the oatmeal is not cooked to a creamy mush. I think it's better chewy.

I started doing it this way when a friend gave me some oatmeal mix for xmas. It had powdered milk in it, too. She has a big family and keeps this homemade mix (oats, raisins, walnuts, powdered milk, brown sugar) in a container on the counter for the kids to make when they want. I don't put the powdered milk in it because I don't need it, and I mix it by the bowl. When I travel, though, I do mix up a big container and take my electric tea kettle with me.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Another nuker here...

1/2 cup rolled oats in 1 cup water. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. I usually add 1 tsp of nutritional yeast and about 1 tbsp of honey.

Old fashioned oats can cook in the microwave too, you just have to use a large enough bowl that it won't boil over. Six to six and a half minutes at 50% power (it will boil over if you use full power).

No sugar, sometimes raisins or other fruit, a big dollop of peanut butter.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Haven't tried any dried fruit in my oatmeal yet, we do have some dried cherries I'm going to try. Sometimes I will put just a little peanut butter in my oatmeal, I love peanut butter.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Oatmeal in Crock Pot

If I add pumpkin to my oatmeal but want to cook it overnight in a crock pot, would I add it the night before or just before eating?

Thanks.

Old fashioned oats

Rolled old fashioned quaker oats We have a water dispenser that has water heated at 175 always. All you have to do is take handful of oats in bowl and push button and fill bowl with water till the oats are saturated and little on top.* Let it sit for 3 min. and stir, add your extras, milk, brown sugar, pure maple syrup, nuts, fruit, whatever you like.* The oats are still hot and that is it! OR if you don't have dispenser - Just boil water on stove and pour over oats in bowl and let sit.* Turn out just right. Not mushy like overcooked and not hard and firm either.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Cream of Wheats

I LOVE cream of wheats...I just make them in the microwave (or stove top if I have more time) add some raisins and honey and you're good to go. It's a nice change if you get sick of oatmeal.