Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

bike shorts with best chamois?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My Castelli bike shorts have a chamois that is sewn on with nylon thread. The shorts were fine for 10-15 mile rides, but I'm starting to go further. After a 35 mile bike ride this weekend my rear end & crotch were raw & sore from rubbing on the seams. I do not ride with underware and use "Butt-R" creme which is supposed to prevent this sort of thing. I am desperate to find bike shorts that do not rub in this area. I will soon be going on a 2-week, 30-60 miles a day bike tour & need to find something comfortable or I won't make it. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or recomendations? Thanks!

I've had the same problem with Shebeest shorts, though I'm not sure it's the fiber as much as the fact that that seam is awfully abrasive. Anyway, same thing happens--10 miles or so down the road and I'm ready to ride home shorts-less.

Shebeests seem pretty popular, so maybe it's something about the shape of me. Anyhow, I've found an alternative that doesn't rub me raw--Terry T-Shorts. I just got my first pair about a month ago and I've worn them in my early training for a week-long bike tour this summer. Not the longest rides in the world, but in the 20-30 mile range, and the Terry shorts haven't let me down yet. Same goes for their new 2002 knickers.

I've heard some women say Terry shorts don't exactly wear like iron, so I don't know how long they'll last. But they fit beautifully and they feel great, so I'm treating them right. Not cheap, but what bike shorts are?
    --J
    "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself." --Walt Whitman

chamois problems

I guess I've been pretty lucky in this category. I have an awesome pair of shorts from Trisport. They have a gel chamois. They feel pretty good. Also, I highly recommend you picking up a padded liner from your local bike shop. Since it's still a little nippy here in Jersey I can't always wear shorts.I bought a padded liner (made by TREK) and I can virtually wear anything I want over it. Your saddle also can make a big difference. So, good luck, happy trails, keep your hiney padded, and pedal on my friend.
    Do I have bugs in my teeth?

Take a look at this article before buying gel shorts.
    http://www.bicyclenow.com/article1011.html

This rider wasn't nearly as lucky as you've been, Sammy!
    "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself." --Walt Whitman

Talking Chamois

The best I've found are Pearlizumi's - but not the tan liner - they make one with a black liner. A little pricey, but they wear like iron and the shorts feel terrific.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thumbs up tried Cannondales?

My favorite shorts (even after a wekk-long tour averaging 62 miles per day!) are Cannondales! Got them on sale last year-end for 35$!

another vote for Terry

I vote for the Terry T-shorts. I have a pair that's over 2 years old, that I wore last year on a 100+ mile ride. They're still going strong. I really like the Dryline material. It breathes better than the shiny lycra stuff in some of my other shorts. They aren't cheap at $65, but they've outlasted my more expensive PI shorts.

Thumbs up I vote for Terry

I have knickers and shorts and I love them. My thighs are a little chubby (not for long warm weather is coming!!) so I love the knickers. I've bought all of them here at teamestrogen.com the price is a little high, but the quality is great. I've never had any problems no matter how many times they're washed.

pennys Guest

Lightbulb

I make my own shorts. I can whip up a really nice pair in less than an hour - any of you have a sewing machine? I make a chaomois out of two layers of Polartec fleece and a layer of ultrasuede that's really nice.

I just can't see forking out $60-90 buck for a pair of shorts that takes $10 worht of lycra. Kwik Sew has a great pattern.

penny

Question more info?

Pennys - I'd like more info on making your own shorts...What's the pattern number? How about details on making the chamois? Is that part of the pattern or something you came up with yourself? Is Lycra easy to find?

I beg to differ with how well the Terry Knickers fare on long rides. I have tried them out on one 60 mile ride a while back and had some difficulties with chaffing. They are great for shorter 20-30 mile rides, but I wouldn't trust them for anything much longer. I love my Pearl Izumi's (with the Pressure Relief Chamois-PRT) and my Briko's (found them on sale for about 1/2 off -otherwise they are quite pricey! They are my favorite though!!) Both of those brands have treated me well on many longer rides.

I think this topic is just like much in cycling--it depends on the individual as to tastes and preferences. You find what you like by trial and error (which I know can be expensive, so asking for advice is a good start.)

I have never tried the Chamois But'tr (or whatever it's called ) and am wondering what people have to say about that. From the name, it sounds like it'd be greasy or something. I am doing a 6 day 500 mile ride and think that by the end no matter what shorts I wear I will be hurting a bit. Am wondering if this might be something worth trying to cut down on at least some of the discomfort. Any thoughts?

Thumbs up

I use Chamois Butt'r, and it's great stuff. It is a little gooey when you first put it on (and I smear it all over me and the chamois), but it warms up and then everything gets comfy! It seems to make a big difference on long rides.

My favorite shorts? PI Ultrasensors. I tried Terry, but I thought the chamois was too thick, and cheap shorts just don't hold up.
    A goal is a dream with a deadline

pennys Guest

Re: more info?

Originally posted by ayermail2
    Pennys - I'd like more info on making your own shorts...What's the pattern number? How about details on making the chamois? Is that part of the pattern or something you came up with yourself? Is Lycra easy to find?
    Stertch and Sew #312. You can get heavy lycra mail order from Quest Oufitters or Outdoors Wilderness FAbircs, both of them are listed on my make gear pages, www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm under fabrics.

there is a pattern for the chamois, I"m pretty sure they tell you to use the ultrasuede and the polartec.

penny s

re: pattern

Pennys -
    thanks so much! that'll be a great cool weather project!

Thumbs up re: chamois butt'r

Love the chamois butt'r - definitely helps on longer rides...
    have you tried readjusting your saddle? Sometimes just the tiniest little tilt forward can make a world of difference!! (as opposed to absolutely level - but not so much that it's really obviously not level, or you'll be falling off the seat)