Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sheldon Brown's health problems

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum that owe an awful lot to Sheldon. His articles were my starting point for commuting. He, Ken Kifer, and Michael Bluejay were my early guides. He has contributed so much to the cycling community that we all owe him for some hilarious articles, many practical tips, and more than one mechanical baleout.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we could do to show our gratitude and concern?

This is all that I know about his condition.

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

I will give this some thought and will happily participate. I think he is absolutely wonderful in many ways.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about this. I was introduced to Sheldon's site and all of his wonderful advice through this forum, and now it's so sad to find out what he's going through. It's definitely one of life's unfunniest jokes that the man who's helped so many people get more from biking now struggles to ride.

Thank you for posting this, newfsmith. I'd also like to participate if anyone comes up with an appropriate idea.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

One idea is...

So here's one possibility. Everyone can post on this thread one "here's what's so cool about Sheldon in my book" or "here's what I learned from him" or whatever, one of us (and I'm willing) could compile it and email it to him as a TE tribute/keep on truckin' wish.

I am totally happy to hear other/better ideas, too.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Sheldon's having a tough time

If ever there was a time to send Sheldon Brown an email to thank him for whatever he's given you as a cyclist, now might be it. I did send him an email last week that said there were lots of people out there who'd learned a ton from him, that a lot of them were on this forum, and that we thank you, etc.

You can read about how he's doing at: http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

and email him at:

captBike@sheldonbrown.com
    Last edited by salsabike; 02-05-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Your link isn't working. Here it is again - not sure if it'll be any better.

http://www.sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Thanks, KG--fixed now.

Such a sad story to read. His website is with out a doubt the best cycling reference website around. Whenever I have something I can't figure out or want some good reading, I always check his site. I've also referred many people to it for repair, maintenance, and general knowledge. It's so tragic to read is frequent entries about his condition.

I'll definitely be sending prayers his way.

boy, i'm glad it's not Lou Gehrig's disease. This is sad, he has given us a lot!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

If he feels dramatically better every time they do a lumbar puncture, why haven't they put in a shunt to keep his CS fluid pressure down?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

He just responded to an email I sent. I'm sure hearing from folks helps to keep his wonderous spirit flying high.

At 1:14 PM -0500 2/6/07, PW wrote:
    Sheldon,

In the past, you have helped me with bicycle advice, both through personal emails and on bikeforums.net. Your opinions and advice are always greatly appreciated. However, the best thing you've done for me was your latest entry on your journal, about feeling fortunate because of all the positives in your life.

Please stay safe, and let your adoring fans know if there is anything we can do to help you out!

Very sincerely,

PW

Sheldon's reply:
    Thanks for your concern. I'm bearing up OK, some days better than others. I guess I'll just have to play out whatever cards I've been dealt.

I'll continue updating http://sheldonbrown.com/health as news comes in...

All the best,

Sheldon
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Sheldon's site has been a guideline for my cycling repairs, and just general cycling fun for years. I heard about his issues a while back. It's troubling to know that he is still without a good diagnosis. My thoughts are will Mr. Brown.