Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    I just got the email from my mom. I thought Kathy and Maury had postponed the wedding, but the Press Democrat article called her a newlywed. Could be they just postponed the party. And now, because the truck driver who says he "saw her in the bike lane 100 yards back" had already forgotten her after waiting for the light to turn green, now it's just a tragic irony either way. And to think that complete strangers are so hateful as to spew out slander about "arrogant" bikers. Kathy was a bright, smiling inspiration to patients, family, friends, colleagues. Arrogance is what those folks see in their mirrors!
    Ditto to you, Duck. So sorry.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

oh

Duck, Trek & Uk, I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss.

The article's author needs a slap for thier insensitivity.

c

I just want to thank TE friends for all their support. This morning, as I struggle to find words to write to Kathy's husband and in-laws, it's a double comfort to turn to the words from TE "strangers" and note that it's not so much the words themselves that matter as the knowledge that there are true feelings of support behind them. The support does help, and just now knowing that the support helps no matter how its worded helps too.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I'm in tears, too. I am so sorry about this tragic loss. Seems there's no such thing as a stranger anymore.

so awful, so awful. it makes me so sad when we lose a fellow cyclist.

so sorry for your loss for those of you who knew her
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

Sending my sympathies for this tragic loss.

I rode through the intersection this afternoon. There are so many flowers you can barely see the ghost bike that was put up.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    So terribly terribly sad. And such insensitive moronic responses from some of those people.

We all know how dangerous it can be out there in traffic. The more we know about preventative maneuvers, the safer we will be. All of us should take a moment to read this page with reminders on avoiding getting hit:
    http://bicyclesafe.com/
    We should read as much as we can about traffic/bike safety strategies.
    My own method is to get right in the middle of the lane at an intersection if I am going to go straight- I "take the lane".
    If I'm going to turn right, I hug the right side and let the car next to me go a bit ahead of me to see what they do. If I'm going to turn left, I hug the left side of the lane and watch for any straight oncoming driver. If I'm going straight, I get right in the middle as though I was a car, rather than waiting next to a car in the lane. Of course every traffic situation is slightly different and may call for varied tactics. The more avoidence and safety strategies we have in our minds the better.
    Perhaps reading one of these safety tips will help prevent another tragedy somehow, somewhere.
    Perhaps in the future a biking safety course could be started in her honor by the hospital where she worked, or in conjunction with the local school.

I am so appalled at this heartbreaking tragedy to this woman who obviously spent her life caring for others in pain and need. May she be properly honored and remembered by her community.
    (and may that journalist be assigned to get some sensitivity training and put in some community service time at the local ER).

My heartfelt condolences and sympathy to her family.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So very Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I believe the person they are talking about is my cousins fiance, Kathy.

I just got an e-mail from my Mom this moment. I'm trying to call my Mom but her line's busy.

I am so sad.
    Trek: So very sorry for you and your cousin. I can't imagine what that loss must feel like.

It is shame that people will use such a horrible loss like this to attack cyclists. I think you will find that more people will support the cycling community and the cycling community will come together like you have never seen before. There are always those few who are the bad element; and give a group a bad name. So, have faith, I think you will find much more support than negative effect from your poor relative's death!

Have faith in people's good intentions!

My condolences to those of you who have been personally impacted by this tragic event. And to the rest of us who have been affected by it simply on a human level.

While I can accept the tragedy of the event itself, I cannot accept the heartless and thoughtless article written by Mary Callahan. I don't even live in the area, but I am considering writing a letter to the paper there. How grossly inappropriate to create such a despicably graphic tale of events. Has she no soul?
    ~Sarah~

Check out My Team: Sturdy Girl Cycling

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. -Mark Twain

Trek, Duck and UK -

I am so sorry for your family's loss. And a loss to the cycling community in general. How very sad.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I just wanted to echo everyone's sentiments. I just hate to hear about any cyclist being hurt or killed. To know that Kathy's death personally impacted anyone on TE just makes it that much worse. My thoughts are with you....

Hugs,

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Deanna "I rode through the intersection this afternoon. There are so many flowers you can barely see the ghost bike that was put up"

that's very heartening to see people pull together, Kathy was a very special woman. I will try to hold onto the memory of the last time I saw them, that was on the Amgen the first day and time trial.

Spazzdog and I had walked up to the end of the stage near Coit Tower when I heard a familiar voice yell "Hey Cuz!!" It was Maury and Kathy.

They'd ridden into the city (not from Santa Rosa though I would not put that past them) and were there with their bikes. She was beaming, they looked so happy together.

I remember that and many other times.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow. Always tragic, and doubly so when it hits so close to home.
    My condolences to you and your family.

Trek and Duck... I am so sorry for your loss. I am thinking of you both and Maury.
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury