Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: TE-DC Rides

TE-DC Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

It is pretty obvious that we may all ride for different reasons, have different riding styles, and be looking for different things from riding in groups. Some of us may be more interested in socialization and some in pushing ourselves by having others to keep up with. Some of us prefer the road and others prefer the trail. It's basically guaranteed that one ride will not satisfy everyone. I'd like to propose that we set up a standing ride, once a month or so, and that we rotate through different types of rides. For argument sake let's say that the first Sunday of the month is Ride Day. Three possible types of rides are:
    1) "Casual Road", we take a more leisurely pace and stop to smell the roses
    2) "Hammer Road", we push a harder pace, more focused on time/miles/hills than aesthetics
    3) "Trail", an off-road ride that doesn't require mtb skills

We'd rotate through a different type of ride each month and let a different person pick/propose the route. This would allow people to opt in for only the rides that suit their moods and desires or to participate in many and mix up their rides.

What does everyone think? Let the ideas fly!

Nicole
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Why not have a rule that no one is dropped and whoever is "ride leader" is responsible for ensuring that no one gets left behind? One woman's hammer ride is another woman's casual road ride Also, are the rides always going to be out in Montgomery County?

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Why not have a rule that no one is dropped and whoever is "ride leader" is responsible for ensuring that no one gets left behind? One woman's hammer ride is another woman's casual road ride
    Very good idea. I've never dealt with the logistics of leading a group ride so someone will have to educate me on how it's "supposed" to work.

Also, are the rides always going to be out in Montgomery County?
    This would be up to "the group" but I would assume not. If you or others want to participate and want to suggest/lead a route in NoVA I don't see why not. We'll have to see who all is interested in this whole idea and how far they are willing to travel for it.

Thanks, Nicole
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Sounds like a good idea.

I second Velobambina's suggestions.

Cool suggestion, Nicole. And, of course, this idea doesn't prohibit anyone from getting together for other rides/smaller groups/other locations/etc during the in between weeks.

I'll always have a need to just get out on my own for solo rides, but I definitely had fun on the two rides I've done with fellow TE'ers. A group ride once a month or so would probably be just right. Count me in for pretty much any "Casual Road" or "Trail" ride, at pretty much any location. I'd even be interested in testing the mtb waters, as long as it's non-technical and fairly easy (I dunno yet how much the 'cross bike can actually handle).

Are we going to try to have a specific schedule for this, or do it fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants each month?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I just need to get out for rides. Period. Improve my skills first, and that fitness stuff is good too . I'm limited to pavement for my skinny tires.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Sounds good.
    New scenery.
    New riding partners.
    New challenges.
    New chances to break out the bike(s).
    All good.
    I'd be up for any or all of those options, Nicole.

Maybe we can plan to do a ride at the Arboretum in December? It should be deserted then and if I recall correctly, there is at least one killer hill for those of us who love climbing :-)

The Arboretum could definitely be a cool spot to ride. Somebody needs to run it through RouteSlip so we can check out the mileage and elevation...

I'm not naming names *cough*Nicole*cough*... I'd do it myself, but I'm going out this evening... (If I don't see a link in the morning, I'll take care of it)
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Maybe we can plan to do a ride at the Arboretum in December? It should be deserted then and if I recall correctly, there is at least one killer hill for those of us who love climbing :-)
    Weather permitting...

Which day do you propose?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    The Arboretum could definitely be a cool spot to ride. Somebody needs to run it through RouteSlip so we can check out the mileage and elevation...

I'm not naming names *cough*Nicole*cough*... I'd do it myself, but I'm going out this evening... (If I don't see a link in the morning, I'll take care of it)
    You might have noticed that I love RouteSlip (perhaps you've noticed that I'm one of the tops for number of routes)
    I've never ridden at the Arboretum so I don't know what the intended route is. If someone can tell me, I can map it out.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    (perhaps you've noticed that I'm one of the tops for number of routes)
    Actually, I had not noticed that. It is definitely a cool site.

So, here I am, midnite and too wired to go to sleep... I RouteSlip'd a quick'n'dirty loop around most of the roads in the Arboretum, but only came up with 5.5 miles with 400-something feet of climbing. Probably a good place to do hill repeats. Would probably be gorgeous in the spring.

I'd love to try the Arboretum, but December will be madness for me between exams, papers, family stuff, and traveling. Maybe I'll have to wait until spring. I would like to know the best way to get there / parking, because I haven't been out to the eastern side of the city at all.

Ok, I decided to join GW's team. With exams/papers rapidly approaching, I'm not going to be doing much this fall, obviously. But I had to get on the ball once I heard that jersey orders are going in this week, and I won't be able to race w/out the proper logo.

Anyway, we've got a Yahoo! listserv where some cuesheets are posted. Lots of Poolesville rides of many more miles than the loop proposed in the other thread, but there are some shorter options for other rides, like a Capitol Crescent loop. I can try to map these into routeslip (b/c I don't know where half these roads are). Keep in mind also most of them have a GW/Georgetown start area, so the Poolesville mileage includes cycling from here out to Poolesville.

If I'm gonna do some 70-80 mile training rides this spring, I'd better get on the ball. And learn where the heck I'm going. I think there's occasional regrouping and I'm almost positive they tend to have a no-drop policy for organized team rides. But lots of the rides are kind of improvised, and who knows who I'd wind up going out with.

But if my schedule doesn't line up well with an organized ride, maybe we can use their routes to organize something of our own.