Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all

In 2007 I would like to continue to be confident about cycling on my own and to remember that I started cycling on my own when I was a teenager and that I can do it again.

However, today I was cycling and suddenly had the crazy idea to do a long-distance sponsored cycle ride to raise money for a few charities that are important to me, to raise awareness of the sustainable transport charity that I work for and to arrive in London in time for the Tour de France to exorcise a few demons.

The last time I did a sponsored bike ride I set myself the challenge of riding 280 miles by commuting to work in the month of Feb (a cold and dark month). With 8 miles to go and a week ahead of schedule, I came off my bike and ended up in hospital. however, it worked in my favour - I got more sponsorship because people felt sorry for me...

So, I am going to give a big sponsored ride some serious thought.

Here's to independence in whatever guise it might take.

P
    xx

As a recent “returnee” to cycling after approximately 30 years, my goals for 2007 are much more modest than most of you. I think it is great idea to set specific goals that are measurable and attainable. In the next couple of years, I hope to be able to put something in like- finish a century, etc. Reading everyone else’s goals gives me hope- the women of TE are truly inspiring!

1. Buy a road bike (have a Terry hybrid now)
    2. Attend a skills/training class or camp to improve
    my cycling and bike maintenance skills
    3. Finish a metric century
    4. Join a local bike club
    5. Make it all the way up the Maple Corner Farm hill
    without walking- (my personal nemesis)
    6. Lose 20 pounds (I guess that is not a cycling goal,
    but it sure would help with goal #5)
    7. Most important- Have fun!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bambu101 View Post
    As a recent “returnee” to cycling after approximately 30 years, my goals for 2007 are much more modest than most of you. I think it is great idea to set specific goals that are measurable and attainable. In the next couple of years, I hope to be able to put something in like- finish a century, etc. Reading everyone else’s goals gives me hope- the women of TE are truly inspiring!

1. Buy a road bike (have a Terry hybrid now)
    2. Attend a skills/training class or camp to improve
    my cycling and bike maintenance skills
    3. Finish a metric century
    4. Join a local bike club
    5. Make it all the way up the Maple Corner Farm hill
    without walking- (my personal nemesis)
    6. Lose 20 pounds (I guess that is not a cycling goal,
    but it sure would help with goal #5)
    7. Most important- Have fun!!!!!!!
    Great goals!

I think we all have a #5 in our lives - I finally did "my hill" and now it is to get up faster! - it never ends And I have discovered a couple of others I need to try

Re #6
    Everyone talks about lightening up their bikes, I just decided 20 lbs off my body would be cheaper

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

My cycling goals for 2007 are quite modest. I've had arthritic knees for years and, as a result, haven't done much riding due to the pain. I had my right knee joint replaced six months ago and have tentative plans to get the other one replaced next year. I've just started riding again. Very short rides, no mileage goals for now. My ultimate goal for next year is to have some pain-free rides toward the end of the year and then look forward to 2008 to really get back to regular cycling.

Jean

I have a number of smallish goals that I want to accomplish next season but they mostly involve, go faster, further, and longer.

1. I want do a century ride next summer.
    2. I want to ride to Vernon and back.
    3. I want to climb Anarchist Mountain as fast as the boys.
    4. And my real challenge - I want to do the Banff to Jasper ride with my husband and his brother next June. It's a little over 300 km, over the Icefields Parkway which has very unreliable weather especially in June, two summits, and it has to be done all in one day. I think I could do it but I would be slower than them and I can't hold them back because they want to beat their last time. So I haven't quite figured out how I can manage it because I suppose I'll end up beng on my own much of the ride. Do I just join them for part of it or do I really try to to the whole ride? I guess I will just train the best I can and see where I'm at next June.
    5. In keeping with the #5 theme - I want to climb Gordon Hill in less than 4 minutes.

When is the Banff to Jasper ride?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I am just starting to think about my goals for next year. I think they will focus on just a few things:

• Work on technical skills, like descending and cornering
    • increase my average speed just a tiny bit by consistently riding with people who are faster than me
    • Try to avoid my late summer "break down" that comes from too much time on the bike. Learn to rest well.
    • Improve my core strength (already started on that)
    • mountain bike more
    • Do another century, maybe 2 this year
    • Lead a short series of late winter/early spring warm up rides with my husband
    • Take a vacation where I bring my bike and ride, but it's not a bike tour (i.e. relax a little)

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

V.
    V - They want to do it in June (probably Fathers Day weekend?). BIL's wife and I will drive and I'm going to ride parts. But I'd really like to do the whole thing. Dh was encouraging me to but I reminded him that I wouldn't be able to keep on the hill climbing and he agreed. It's already a long day. I really don't want to hold them back so I have thought about riding with them as far as I can and then encouraging them to go ahead when they start to lose me. My SIL can pick me up if I pack it in... I guess the hardest thing would be to do the training in winter/spring. We're going to Europe in July he wants to do the ride before he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

V.
    I'm interested too.

Ahhh... so it's a ride you guys do on your own - explains why I couldn't find it in my Google search.

Sounds like a cool ride. if you did it the weekend after I could be tempted...Our last day of school is the 14th. A driving vacation to Canada could be fun. Oops...It's like a 4 day drive just to get there! EEK!

Still it's on my one day I want to see list.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Well there are organized Banff-Jasper rides that go over several days. I think the BC Randonneuring club has info about one on their website.

b

My goal for 2007 is to get back on the bike! My mom has had some major health stuff going on this year (she's currently at my house recovering from back surgery on 11/16), then I had to have a cycling related surgery that seemed to take forever to heal needless to say I ended up with barely over 1000 miles on the year Down about 4000 miles from last year. So, my goal is to break in the Brooks saddle I bought (lord help me) and to get my cycling legs back. Lots of riding and lots of hill repeats to get back to the level I was at...

in July or somewhere thereabouts, a friend and I are tentatively planning to take the Amtrack to Seattle... then ride south for 2 weeks as far as we can... we'll ride as far as we wanna, and take days off as needed... no set schedule, just ride the coast. BUT, that means I gotta get on the saddle!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Get back on my bikes!

After a year off because of surgery (December 2005 had the surgery) I am trying hard to get back into my pre-surgery fitness. Actually I did begin riding both my mountain and road bikes the end of August but not like before.

But here are the goals I have set for myself:

1. A lot more mountain biking this winter
    2. Serious road training beginning the end of February first of March for the
    STP (Yep, my daughter and I have decided to ride the 2007 STP!)
    3. Participate in my mountain bike club's annual 4 hours of adrenalin in April
    4. Start leading rides again (for my mountain bike and road bike clubs)
    5. Ride the classics this spring to help me get in shape and they are:
    a. Daffodil Classic in Orting in April
    b. Historical Lewis County Bicycle Ride in Chehalis in May
    c. Apple Century Bicycle Ride in Wenatchee in June
    d. And the STP in July!

Sue

I have a few 'key' goals...

5000km on the road

Get placed in the Club Champs TT in my category

Do a good (possibly great) time in the East Coast North Island TT in my category

Be competitive in my grade at Ramblers (the local club) with a view to moving up another grade by the end of the year

Lose another 10kgs to make my power:weight ratio better on the uphill rides

AND... since reading this thread... I hope to read that Mallio and BikingMom are back on there bikes in 2007 and loving it again... and that BikerChick is able to find time again for her riding.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Mine:

1. 3,000+ miles next year. I fell about 500 miles short this year due to my riding buddy being so sick.
    2. Kick the Tri-County Hillhopper's butt in February. Usually it kicks mine.
    3. Try mountain biking (hmmm need to buy a bike)
    4. Duathalon
    5. Keep up running to cross train. I found myself casting it aside this year and really losing my base for running. Now I am not enjoying it.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan