Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

My current goal is to be able to get back on my bike.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Bikingmomof3 View Post
    My current goal is to be able to get back on my bike.

I'm with you! That's my #1 goal as well.

I am also apparently coaching an official Death Ride team for TNT as well (Sonoma/Napa/Marin group with team rides every week to every other week in those locales). More details later because I'd love to see some of you N Cal TE-ers give this ride a go! We'll apparently have training programs for people who want to do anywhere from 2 to 5 passes - training will start in January. I say "apparently" because although this is the official plan, but I won't have time to sit down and plan the calendar for another month.

I'd like to do a brevet series and some more doubles, but I really need to see what the heart and lungs say before I commit beyond what I've already committed to SK to do. This may be a more relaxed year (aside from the Death Ride, which isn't really that bad).
    Last edited by maillotpois; 11-10-2006 at 09:11 AM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

My brain is so twisted. MP, your post made me think the airfare would be justified to ride in an event called "Death Ride". I need help.
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Oh it would be - this is honestly THE most beautiful ride I have ever done in the US.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I wonder how long it would take me to walk my bike through? Maybe I could jog with my bike?
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Aristotle

It's in July. You'll be riding by then (though admittedly mountain passes would probably not be the safest bet for you - we can dream, though!).
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Oh it would be - this is honestly THE most beautiful ride I have ever done in the US.
    Considering where you live that says a lot.

How do I get to be on your team? Death Ride is in July so I should be able to fit that in.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

It's in July. You'll be riding by then (though admittedly mountain passes would probably not be the safest bet for you - we can dream, though!).
    Shoot, I lived in a high altitude area and it almost killed me. Maybe I could volunteer? DH has oodles of FF miles.
    Jennifer

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Aristotle

I am also apparently coaching an official Death Ride team for TNT as well (Sonoma/Napa/Marin group with team rides every week to every other week in those locales). More details later because I'd love to see some of you N Cal TE-ers give this ride a go! We'll apparently have training programs for people who want to do anywhere from 2 to 5 passes - training will start in January. I say "apparently" because although this is the official plan, but I won't have time to sit down and plan the calendar for another month.
    Really? You are coaching some folks who will do the Death Ride? I think that is very cool!

I know a few people who are planning to do the Death Ride next year. You talk about no small challenge!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Considering where you live that says a lot.

How do I get to be on your team? Death Ride is in July so I should be able to fit that in.

V.
    You should - and the training rides will dovetail nicely to your brevet training and/or doubles (I should know!). I will be setting the schedule around the Davis rides, probably. I honestly don't know what the schedule will be yet. I'm hoping to have some very good assistant coaches to help out - so we have support at all pace levels.

Training would start in the end of January. Fundraising would probably be in the $3000 range, not sure but it has to be 3 times expenses for Leukemia Society to make the fundraising totals they need. Includes guaranteed entry (which is hard to get as it is by lottery), lodging, altitude camp (which is HUGE-ly important, IMHO).

This is a new team for our Sonoma/Napa/Marin group so we're working out a lot of details. S F has had a team on and off for years, but we've got some great local rides up here, so it was time.

Edit BMo3 - you could definitely come out to watch the ride and cheer people on - or, better yet, volunteer to support our altitude camp.

Cassandra - I've done DR the last 2 years (well, not this year because I was in the hospital the week before - saying "Hey you have to let me out because I'm coaching people to do the Death Ride and Ihave to do it" ) - it is a great ride.

-- hijack over -- (I'll start a new thread on this soon.)
    Last edited by maillotpois; 11-10-2006 at 10:04 AM.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Well, I'd definitely be interested. Mostly 'cause I like to ride with you.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Brevet?

Hi ladies , Can I inquire what brevet training is? Curious to know. TIA Jennfier

A brevet is a long distance, self supported ride. A brevet series typically involves rides of 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k - and sometimes 1200k. "Brevet training" is simply training for brevets.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

My goals are many, so I anticipate having to scale back a bit as time goes on!!

1) Complete a century a month for 2007 (don't ask me why...DH and I are nuts )
    2) Complete the Blood, Sweat and Gears century in June
    3) Improve my speed and bike handling skills (I know I need to define these goals better eventually)
    4) investigate racing opportunities in my area
    5) sign up and complete Assault on Mt Marion (so that I can qualify for Mitchell)
    6) commute at least 1 day a week (hopefully more) ALL YEAR this year
    7) plan and excute one short self-supported tour next summer with DH (local)

I'd also like to plan on doing 6-Gap and Bridge to Bridge, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself!

One of the local bike shops has a list serve and we just post our route, average speed, and where we'll meet up. I've joined the local "guys" on a ride (and was promptly dropped) and they are way, WAY too serious for me. We like to look at scenery and ride for fun, take pictures, etc.(helps us to remember why we like to ride). We generally start on a Saturday morning, say 6:30-7:00 a.m. (we aren't doing this now, since it's still dark at that time), and have a designated halfway point where we meet to make sure everyone's there - we call this "no rider left behind". We usually go 35-60 miles average 14-17 mph. Having the list serve really helps get these going.

We've also found that each ride is joined by someone who didn't want to go with the "guys" because they are so fast (22-26 mph ). I would like more women to join us as I'm usually the token female. I do, however, LOVE passing some young male while going up hill. Makes me KNOW I'm strong!!

The first ride we set up we had ourselves and 2 other people. We average 10-12 now. We've found that drivers treat us much better when there are a number of us.

Lorie