Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbies would appreciate this...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday I went to a loop in Vegas that's pretty good, and I find it to be very safe. It has a slight uphill incline and then a small decent which is nice to have after steadily going uphill. Up until this point, 10.5 was the furthest I went on my bike.

I got my saddle fixed again and started on the loop. I decided to push it and told myself that I must continue until I pass 1 hour regardless of the milage. Then I decided to do 10 loops instead. 10 loops and 1hr 10 minutes later I was really happy! I felt pretty good and I did feel like I wanted to do a couple more, but my legs were kind of screaming for a bit of a rest, and since this was the longest ride (25 minutes more than my previous longest ride).

I checked my bike computer and was even more happy, I passed the 15 miles mark!

Newbies would appreciate this because when you first started cycling, going 5 miles seemed to take forever, right?

The one lesson I learned yesterday is to eat more before the ride...20 minutes into the ride, I was really hungry, but I ignored it and just sipped my water more often. Since I thought this would be considered a "short" ride, I didn't think nutrition was really THAT important. It is...BEFORE you ride. *boink*

I can't wait to look back at this day and laugh...when I'm pounding out 100-150 miles a week.

great story!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

and a good lesson.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks

I'm a newbie and I do appreciate your story. Keep em comming.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Another Newbie here...I put 27 miles on my brand new Synapse this week. It took 4 different rides to rack 'em up! I am very pleased with my self

when I first started riding again, 40 years after I had last ridden and about 125 pounds heavier than then, it killed me to do a mile. Believe me, every milestone is worth celebrating!

You all go hard, long and fast.
    Last edited by marni; 05-21-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    when I first started riding again, 40 years after I had last ridden and about 125 pounds heavier than then, it killed me to do a mile. Believe me, every milestone is worth celebrating!

You all go hard, long and fast.
    Marni,
    Same here! Rode my fixy Schwinn all over the place as a kid and teenager. We would often do 30-50 mile rides with our little back packs filled with snacks. Got a Trek hybrid as a birthday present from my hubby, Jay (FreedomRider1) after we first got married. Stopped riding the Trek back in early 90's, except for around the block with the kids. Then stopped altogether as they became teens and pre-teens and needed rides to practices, games, recitals, etc,etc,etc. Once our youngest headed off to college, FreedomRider went out and got a beautiful Cannondale Synapse and began riding like it is his career. He hadn't ridden at all since late 80's! He's been all over the place on that bike in the last 6 years. We trained for Half marathon this winter. By the time the Half arrived on April 17th, I was suffering from Plantar fascitis, shin splints, and the ever popular-extra 50 pounds! FreedomRider peeled off the Half as tho it were a walk in the park while I pretty much walked a 5K. That is when I got the old hybrid out to try biking again. One thing has led to another and I have my own beautiful Synapse as of 2 weeks ago! Quite different from any bike this old lady has ever been on, but it is truly satisfying to be back biking. We have the most awesome rails to trails right down the street from our home, and a giant metropark with it's own well groomed bike paths. We head out in a few minutes for a short ride. FreedomRider calls it short=20. Might just double my mileage for the week just in one day!

awesome story, congratulations on your achievement!
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it.

2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0
    2007 Fuji Absolute 2.0

Great accomplishment. I am doing a 16-mile race tomorrow and I am nervous about being able to finish it without having to crawl like a snail. I'm with you, though, the thought of doing 16 miles even a couple of weeks ago seemed liked a HUGE goal that would kill me. I know it won't kill me but I'll probably be glad to see that finish line nonetheless.

I know this is an older thread but wanted to both congratulate you on your longer ride, find out if you have more recently built up to longer rides and share that I learned the same thing about eating on a ride, even if you don't feel hungry.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison