Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes- she is almost entirely black- with red detailing- if my stupid computer would see my D Drive I could post pictures on my website...

She is black - the head tube has some cream on it just above the black shocks. The name Schwinn and Mesa is in red or white lettering...all the components are black- ditto handlebars, stem, ahead,cranks and pedals.The grips are black with red rings on the ends.
    The wheelset has red rims with black spokes and black hubs. I put these cool blood red water bottle holders on her- and there is a red THE front fender - which I might change to black.
    Black saddle- I had to get a new seatpost, it'll be black as well...

I think Elvira just fits. I'm not the cool and sexy type so I think Jezebel just doesn't fit.
    She would be cool as a black widow as well...

I was watching American Chopper when I started putting her togther- I was bidding on a red and black MOAB frame that I just loved.(For those OCC fans it was gonna be my "Fire bike".) Missed out on that one- but was able to pick up the Schwinn Mesa GSX for a song...so she is my second choice but-I think she is still pretty striking...

I had a lot of fun though- it took me from July to Dec to acquire all the parts for Ted. Elvira didn't take as long- because she is an 8 speed- I'll be upgrading her to a 9 speed through out the summer. Which means she may have to sacrifice her red rims- I'm not sure- I think it's just an 8 spd hub...

Kimba
    Whe you come to the end of all you know-
    and you are about to step off into the darkness
    faith is knowing one of two things will happen-
    there will be something solid to stand on-
    or you will be taught to fly...

Here in USA we've had trouble with right wing holy roller KKK types- skinheads- actually blowing things up with pipe bombs. And the cops have found psycho kids building them to blow up their high schools. Five years ago, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb was a good twit to the parents about BMX/ skateboard/ body peircing youth culture. Now it's a real worry- white American terrorists love them. You don't hear about it as much, but it still makes folks nervous. so, why paint it on your bike? The world is full of smartaleck bike names.

Jezebel was a great queen in ancient times- the bible calls her the evil ***** of Babylon. That's why you're thinking sex. I could bore you with womens studies and ancient cultural history- but Jezebel was a Mae West or Elvira type girl herself who got a lot of bad press. As well as a melodramatic Betty Davis movie about a goofy Southern Belle stereotype. And I was thinking of it for my Redline, Kimba. I knew your ride was already Elvira!
    I still have time to think though; I need to change the cranks on that bike. 180mm! Who can ride those after age 25?

Lizzy
    Fire up the colortinis and watch the pictures as they fly through the air...

- Tom Snyder

Mine's called Abbey short for Abbey Road (Beatles album). She's black and yellow and kind of looks like Daffy Duck but I just couldn't name her Daffy she's way to classy

My Terry Col de La Madeleine is "Ruby Sojourner". My old MTB was "Reality"; her replacement is "Virtual Reality", VR for short. My old road bike was "Fantasy" and my workhorse commuter is "Little Pony" because she has two 24" wheels.

more names....

My first road bike, a blue Bianchi w/that Bianchi green lettering: Chip, after the green being like mint-chip ice cream.
    My new Orbea (a lovely blue Spainiard!): Silver (it's so light, when I first saw it, I thought, "Hi ho, Silver, Aw-w-ay!") It'll do until something else comes along...
    A friend has an Orbea and we first called it Pepe, the name I called her ex-husband who finally paid her the $$ he owed her so she could buy a bike. Now that she's a real roadie, she changed her bike's name. I just can't remember the new name.

Pedal On!

Oh those Orbeas are some of the most beautiful bikes in the world! My LBS owner has just bought one for himself and it is practically a work of art and is this gorgeous silver colour. I don't discriminate though - I've also seen a Colnago c-40, a peugeot and a pinarello prince (drool!) that I also consider to be works of art!

Cool

Mtn Bike: Wampus Cat
    Road Bike: '90 -something Allez Steel Frame with down tube shifters..."my little piece-o-lead".... she love it when I call her that!
    New Road Giant Carbon: Verdict is still out. (I am still waiting for my local shop to get it in) but I an open to suggestions. Something tells me I have to ride it to know wethet its a he or she.
    -claudia
    Last edited by N.Ga.Cycling; 05-05-2004 at 11:28 AM.

HI- first post here, though i love the site!

I had to laugh when i saw this thread since plenty of people have made fun of me for naming my bike. Mostly its the triathlon folks cause the cycling team people ALWAYS named their bikes. Anyway, mine have been:

1) My first racing bike: Fiets (Dutch for bike)

2) My '98 Trek: Carsten Fermin Niklas Alessandro- or just Carsten :P Hes black and gold with some blue accents and a very pretty bike, but I wanted a strong German/Northern European name for him, and when i first picked him up I had just heard the name Carsten from somewhere. Then I added a few names as weve gone along- two are for exbfs :P

Somehow having named my bike makes me feel like im "part" of it- after climbing a big hill he gets a pat (yes i know hes not a horse but still!) or when he needs a clean sometimes I talk to him. But Carsten has always taken care of me and never flatted in a bad spot, though we had a few tempermental issues with falling over in the middle of intersections on that first year! :P

Looking to buy a new bike soon, and when i get him, well, we shall see what hes like and then name him accordingly!

Cool

So if you're giving your bike extra names that are former bfs, does that mean they were good influences in your bike's life? Carsten sounds very Norwegian. (Calm, quiet, not very emotional)
    Never thought about talking to my steed as I'm riding. I've been sing or whistle to myself while riding and occassinally curse at the internal combustion engine, but never do I talk to the bike...is it therapy?
    It seems like we're evenly divided 'tween male bike names and female bike names. WHo wants to do their master's thesis on that one??
    Pedal on...

I went out today on a club type ride- it was my first one...
    at first it was nice and stressfree- then it got colder, windier, and the rain started.
    Oh yeah-
    and there were hills!
    Big ones. Cresting the hill dead on into the wind was really tough. Everybody else had their hybrids- and I'm chuggin' with Ted up the hill- Ted being the name of my bike, for those who don't know.
    And I'm not only talking to Ted- I'm cajoling him- urging him on up that freakin' hill...
    and when 2 of the hills got the best of me- I'm walking up that damn grade, and I'm saying c'mon Ted- let's go...we're better than this...

weird, huh?
    I'm not talking to myself, mind you. I am talking to the bike...

well- we made it. The kicker is- it was only 15k- and it took and hour and a half. I was warm in my cycling jacket and tights- recent and very welcome additions to my cycling wardrobe!But my energy level was really poor-I shouldn't have been bonking- I ate before I went, had lots of water and energy drink.
    Last weekend I came down with this strange malady- for a 48 hour period, I had no energy- none...no gas...I could barely lift my head.And then - out of nowhere I just felt stronger and stronger til I felt almost bad to normal... I think it's something going around but...
    hopefully it's the tail end of that and the next ride I'll be stronger.

Kimba

lol well the Niklas part, he was a pretty big jerk, thats one of his names ( was Danish) but I liked Niklas so I tacked it on to the bike name. And Alessandro I thought was good from the Italian bf because its an italian form of my name which is Alexa. And i never get around to saying the whole name anyway before I get weird looks.

Hmm talking to bike, sometimes its therapy when you are on a really horrible ride- like here where it gets really windy (oh the pain!) and you just want to yell because its so frustrating to feel as though you are standing still. Or climbing up a mountain/hill. Here in town the big hill ride is to go up Geiger Grade- the town record is still held by Greg LeMond. So when i hit that false summit sometimes its nice to talk to Carsten and say something like "well cmon Carsten, we can do this, one more hill then we can go home" But obviously you dont talk TOO loud, more under the breath!

Actually once i was racing at Chico State and they had this horrible road course that went through three miles of GRAVEL ( deep gravel too) - people were flatting all over the place, some more than once. I talked to Fiets the whole way though that- "ill get you some nice grease and give you a great clean if you dont flat on me!". And he didnt. Maybe its a superstitious thing!
    Last edited by amhilde; 05-05-2004 at 08:11 AM.

Kimba-

Interesting that you should mention that- sometimes I get that same malady. Or i feel really hot and feverish and not much like eating and dead tired- flu-like but it isnt the flu. I think it has something to do with your body adjusting to new levels of athletic stress put on it. It seems as though i get it every few months ( ive been doing triathlon training for about 9 months now and the running part always gets me- i need wheels or water for this body!) but I just take my time, work through it, and tell my coach im a bit out of it and he lets me take it easy. Its just your body telling you that you need some rest!

Originally posted by amhilde
    Kimba-

Interesting that you should mention that- sometimes I get that same malady. Or i feel really hot and feverish and not much like eating and dead tired- flu-like but it isnt the flu.

Yeah- yeah- that's it exactly! It's like you have to sweat it out...

I think it has something to do with your body adjusting to new levels of athletic stress put on it.
    I dunno- I've had it a couple of times too- but I don't think I'm putting *that* much stress on it!

Although today- well- let's just say I'm feeling my thighs and my quads screaming!

Kimba

MTB is old blue because when I got my road bike it became the old bike and is blue in color. The new road bike (not so new now) I have not realy named it yet. It's a trek 2200 bright yellow in color and looks fast but unfortunately I am slow on it. Flash comes to mind but again I am slow. As far as talking to my ride as we go along it is a given. As I ride strictly alone (not by choice) it can be pretty loud at times. No one around to hear me except for the critters, or the occasional car/truck going by at 70+.

All these names are great, mine are not so imaginative. Just what came to mind and fits the bike. One of my most prized possesions, my Trek Project One road bike (second one, since I crashed and broke the first one), I call my baby. And she's yellow, so Yellow Baby. My mtb is Clunky, not really her fault. It's mostly my riding that makes her Clunky. But she is a bit heavy and I would love a new, light model. My trusty old road bike is Muddy 'cause she goes out in all types of weather that I won't take Yellow Baby out in. I have a borrowed Cannondale touring bike. Can't name it since it's not mine. If I like it, perhaps I'll have one someday. And that's my bike stable for now. They are all dear to me! And I definitely talk to them (and myself) when I am out riding, especially when I'm alone. Sometimes (on good days) it feels like they are extensions of me so talking to them comes naturally.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard