Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking Race Report: Riverside 'Cross Festival

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, it's been a long while since I posted on TE, but I haven't been sitting on my hands. Been putting a lot of miles on my bikes and have recently been getting into this 'cross thing. Love it. Can't exactly figure out why 'cuz it hurts something fierce, but dang, it's a lot of fun. Anyway .... spent 11/5/06 at the Riverside 'Cross fest in MO. The course had two sandy zones, two run-ups and one hill that I ran halfway because it was too steep to ride with my singlespeed. I did both the men's cat 4 and women's open, placing 4th and 1st respectively.

I hope any of you here in the midwest will consider coming to Lincoln, NE 11/18-19 for our races. They are part of the Maxxis Mid America cup series thing. Love to meet you! Cheers .... and THANK YOU to all the TE posters over the last year. This is where I learned about the racing thing and got much of the confidence and impetus to try it out. LOve it!
    -------------------------
    http://sydspinnin.blogspot.com

Great Job Sydney

Great Job Sydney - sounds like you're kicking butt!

Nice job! Good for you to go and race two races and do so well in both! Welcome to the addictive world of 'cross racing .

SheFly

And are you racing single speed?

Ss

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    And are you racing single speed?
    Yes. For now, anyway. I had this custom Waterford touring bike built for a Rohloff hub, but the hub is proving difficult to come by, so I'm running it single-speed and using it for 'cross.

It's working pretty well since it's light and fits me exactly. But, I do wish the bottom bracket was a little higher to help me pedal more into the turns.

You're a stud.

I raced ss last season. We have a separate ss race (with the men's b's). I was usually the only woman. This year ss is racing with the men's a's and it's right before the women's race so I opted out. But I think I'm going to race my ss mtb in the regular (not ss) xc races next season. We'll see how fit I'm feeling come January.

You're a stud.

I raced ss last season. We have a separate ss race (with the men's b's). I was usually the only woman. This year ss is racing with the men's a's and it's right before the women's race so I opted out. But I think I'm going to race my ss mtb in the regular (not ss) xc races next season. We'll see how fit I'm feeling come January.
    Lol. Part of me thinks using the SS forces me to crank a higher gear than I might opt for if I had the option. Consequently, I go faster. I do find myself running sections that others ride, but so far this has not been a disadvantage b/c running a little keeps me from going anaerobic and actually gives me a little rest and momentum when I top the hill. That's not to say I'd turn down a fully geared 'cross bike - i'm not totally nuts. I only ride SS 'cuz that's the lightest bike I own suitable for 'cross.

I did have a Surly Karate Monkey built up geared for 'cross, but it's so dang heavy and doesn't fit as well, so I'm using the SS.

Those back-to-back races do take it out of ya. I did it for the first time last weekend. Raced with the men, then had 20-30 min till the women's race. Legs felt like lead for the first lap, then the body kicked in and it was Ok. But there were no solids for me till much later in the day, stuck to water and endurox.

Recovery when you run? I'm such not the runner (grammar police come get me). I die wherever there's running on a course. See, you are a stud.

Recovery when you run? I'm such not the runner (grammar police come get me). I die wherever there's running on a course. See, you are a stud.
    I have to agree on this one - running for me does NOT equal recovery. This is usually where my HR is at its highest!!! Good for you for a) recovering while running, and b) racing on a SS.

You are a stud!

SheFly

i'm in agreement with you being a stud! go you!
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.