Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey NE girls

Hey NE girls

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey you guys, any of you still out riding? Just wanted to see how everyone was?

Still out riding? Of course!

My riding is pretty much limited to the weekends now because of the lack of daylight during my non-working hours, but my bicycles insist on continuing to roll down the road. Oh, and I cheated last week and took a vacation day on Tuesday after I saw the forecast for temperatures in the upper 60s. It was an awesome day for a ride.

I rode yesterday and today too, 24 miles each day. And I guessed fairly well at the right layers for the temperatures; my only mistake was that I should have had shoe covers on yesterday and I didn't. My toes were much happier today with the extra layer. Starting temperatures were 42 degrees yesterday and 44 today.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 11-05-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Yep, still riding almost every day. I've ridden 116 miles in the past 5 days. Temps are in the 30's -50's. My layers are working well.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unhappy

Hi Jody,
    Yes, I am still riding, but like Denise says, mostly on the weekend. Last week I brought my bike to school and was able to get out at 2:45 on Tuesday. I am going to do this on Tuesday and Wed. this week, because it will be warm. We rode 15.7 today, but yesterday I did errands, and it looked kind of cold when I got back, so I ran (well, ran/walked). I'm finding I'm much more tolerant of riding in the cold, but sometimes my head says "the season is over." I'm definitely not in my peak shape! I'd like to stay outside this way until the end of November and then hope for at least one day outside on the road bike in Dec., Jan., and Feb. Of course by then, I hope to be X country skiing and snowshoeing. I've been to a couple of spin classes and I bought the Cyclo Core DVD and a trainer, so hopefully, time will go quickly until March.
    Where have you been?

Hello all. I rode 28 miles Saturday, around Wayland and Sudbury, up Goodman's Hill twice. Today I had to go do some trail work in the Berkshires. I'll keep getting out on the bike when I can. Maybe take it to work by car for an occasional afternoon ride.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Great to hear from you guys. I've been out a few times in the past couple of weeks. Yesterday I did 15 miles and my feet got a little cold at the end. I had my smartwools on but I think I need toe covers. It looks like I may get a few in this week, its suppose to be a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Yep, still riding almost every day. I've ridden 116 miles in the past 5 days. Temps are in the 30's -50's. My layers are working well.
    Lisa -
    Just curious... where are you in upstate New York? My folks live outside of Utica, so I'm wandering through the state occasionally (using my car as opposed to my bicycle).

And 116 miles over the past 5 days implies that you are able to get out in daylight during the week. I wish I had that option! (Let's see, I suppose I could take a couple of hours off in the middle of the day and then work later. Maybe...)

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

I've been too busy to ride on the weekends and that's the only time I can go out since it's dark before I leave work now. It's so sad, cause I really try to make time for it, but my weekends are just totally filled with stuff! I'm never home! At least I get to spinning classes during the weeknights, but it's just not the same.

This past weekend was the worst, the weather was so beautiful. I had triple booked, planning to go for a ride one day and hike the entire Skyline trail in the Blue Hills Reservation the other day, but realized I couldn't do either because of rehearsals all weekend.

Sorry, I'm just sour, and I get grumpy when I can't exercise as much as I want to.

Emily
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Wink

I too am still out riding, not daily like when it was warmer but still out there. This mornings ride was enough to convince me i needed some sort of shoe cover and that's next on my agenda for the day. 32 degrees, and the smart wools weren't enough, my toes were miserable after 8 of the 20 miles and just had to stop my ride short. Its been rainy the past few weeks so that cut down on being out, hate cold and rain together. This week has high hopes for it being in the 50's and looking forward to it. Enjoy your riding everyone, hopefully we will have a few more days to enjoy before ol' man winter sets in..

Quote Originally Posted by shellyj View Post
    32 degrees, and the smart wools weren't enough, my toes were miserable after 8 of the 20 miles and just had to stop my ride short.
    32 degrees - brrr! Adding shoe covers works for me in the 40s, but in the 30s I find that I also need toe warmers. The ones I use are Heat Treat Toe Warmers - I usually get them at REI.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Wow, no shoe covers?? You guys are brave. I use toe warmers with smart wool (light weight) socks when it's below 55 or so. Yesterday I wore my Woolie Bully's with my full booties. My toes were a little cool in the beginning, but it was really perfect. I think that will be good down to 38 or so and then I'll need the toe warmers in my shoes. I was able to make my shoes loose enough so I could wear my Woolie Bully's without pain from my bunion.

It looks really nice out now, but I can't ride today, since I have meetings. I am so sore from the Cyclo-core DVD I did after my ride, I can barely move!

My son has a day off from school tomorrow so we are going to do errands and ride. I am so excited I could dance!!!!!!
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post
    Lisa -
    Just curious... where are you in upstate New York? My folks live outside of Utica, so I'm wandering through the state occasionally (using my car as opposed to my bicycle).

And 116 miles over the past 5 days implies that you are able to get out in daylight during the week. I wish I had that option! (Let's see, I suppose I could take a couple of hours off in the middle of the day and then work later. Maybe...)

--- Denise
    Hi Denise,
    I'm in northern Columbia County NY (near the top of the Taconic State Parkway). If you ever pass nearby we should go for a ride!- let me know.

Yes, I am very lucky in that my DH and I run a business from home, and so we can often work in the evenings and take off for a ride during the middle of the day instead. I am VERY fortunate to be able to arrange my own work hours for the most part. I often go out for a morning ride and then start work at 11am and make up for lost work time after dinner. I'm not into tv anyway.

As to cold feet.... here is the time of year when NOT being clipless has its big advantage! I use PowerGrip straps on my pedals instead of cages or clipless. As long as they are adjusted large enough, I can wear nice warm Thinsulate hiking boots and fit in my pedals just fine. I just changed over to my warm comfy boots this week after freezing my tootsies in my running shoes a few times in the 40's temps. Works for me!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My outdoor riding took a major hit last week, between daylight saving time and the crummy rain and wind we had. Yesterday was a beautiful 32 miler, temps in the low 50's, light winds. I got a new goretex Concurve jacket at Nashbar (for $40) that makes an awesome outer layer to help block the wind, have used it with success in the 40's, no 30's to try yet
    I impulsively plopped down $130 for some lights today, want to try evening riding, 'cause the trainer just ain't cutting it anymore.
    -Emily

Quote Originally Posted by massbikebabe View Post
    My son has a day off from school tomorrow so we are going to do errands and ride. I am so excited I could dance!!!!!!
    Yeah Baby, go get em girl. You can do it!!!!

My son is home today, just had teeth pulled so no riding for me today. Tomorrow looks like it will be nice.