Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Wheel recommendation

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all.
    My husband got re-bit by the mountainbike bug.
    He recently upgraded the bottom linkage of his dualie, and is loving it more than ever. However, the bike does not have disc brakes and he's pining for discs -- yes, the frame can take discs.
    I'd like to get him disc-compatible wheels and brakes for Christmas (Yikes, expensive, maybe it'll be birthday, Christmas, and anniversary all rolled into one!). However, he doesn't want to give up the tubeless capability he now has (even tho' he's not running tubeless on the bike right now).
    Do you know of any wheels that are: (1) disc compatible AND (2) tubeless?
    Would I be better off just replacing the hubs on the existing wheelset? I wonder if the parts and labor costs for that would just make new wheels more cost-effective.
    Thanks much.

You can't beat White Industries hubs and handbuilt wheels for quality, beauty and ease of maintenance. WI has a disc compatible hub. Any good wheel builder can recommend tubeless rims to match. Velocity or Mavic probably make them. http://www.whiteind.com/disc_hubs.html You may even be able to get a colored rim (which is extra spiffy for disc because there is no machined braking surface).

If you want recommendations for a top notch wheel builder, check out www.bfwg.net. He built the wheels on my Titus RacerX and Bill has a set of his road wheels on his Seven. Rumor has it that Santa is bringing me a set of road wheels.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I have the Mavic Crossmax tubeless disc wheels. No complaints (they came on my bike).

Linda

I also have the Mavic Crossmax. They are sick!!! (That means cool if you are not hep to the slang.) They are very aggressive looking, too, with blade style spokes and reflective logos on the rim. Bontrager also has the Race Lite wheels at different price points. The Mavics are pretty $$$.

It really depends on your budget and how bigger weight weenie your husband is.

The Mavic Crossmax's are hell bling and roll very nicely. There is not a big difference between the SL and SLR models, so I would go the SL's if I was buying them on their own.

If money is not an issue and you want a lightweight set of wheels I would get DT Swiss 240 hubs with Mavic XM819 rims. But you can go for a cheaper hub which will reduce the price a lot.

Mavic Crossmax is a great wheel (especially for racing). But Cane Creek also makes some pretty nice wheels that are almost on par with the Crossmax (the CC is slightly heavier) for a little less money.

http://www.canecreek.com/mountain_wheels.html?&L=0
    Just keep pedaling.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow. Lots of good votes for the Crossmax.
    Thanks!
    My shop was actually showing me the Crosstrail and would order me up a pair (did not have any in stock). They seem pretty middle-of-the-road (er, rather, trail) and seemed to match up pretty well vs. the Bonti Race Lite TLRs (price and weight).
    Any thoughts on the Crossmax ST (or SL) vs. the Crosstrail?

p.s. Wheels, Avid 7 mechanical disc brakes, tubeless tires, and the labor to put it all together for him would set me back just north of seven bills. Ouch. Don't really want to go much higher than that, but since he is a bit of a weight weenie (but, geez, it is a full suspension bike - not a featherweight in its own right), I'd like to go higher end and lighter vs. entry level.
    Last edited by 7rider; 11-06-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added a p.s.