Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

sk those are really neat.

i want to get back into crocheting, but its hard because i don't know anyone around here to ask for help when i start, and when i mess up.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

You BROTHER owns a BIKE SHOP!!! <---- fuming with jealously over here.

Seriously, enjoy your new ride. I wish I had a captive mechanic.

Onto the secondary topic, I knit, too!!! My friend taught me last year, and I love it. I'm supposed to be knitting a sweater (I have the yarn and the pattern), but I've been spending too much on fitness stuff to buy the cable needles I need. So I'm currently knitting a shawl instead using a very easy pattern. But my favorite thing to knit is socks because they are so comfy, the yarn is cheap because you don't need a lot, and they don't take too long to knit, either.

I am envious as well. i wish I had a relative who even knew someone who owned a bike shop. Sigh.

Biking, running, and planning to do a marathon and a tri put a hold on all knitting related expenses. I swapped one hobby for 3.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey, I'm an avid knitter too!!!
    I've knit several sweaters and LOTS of socks and mittens and scarves. Socks are my favorite thing to knit.
    Here's a brown sock I knit for my husband years ago- the only photo I have right now:
    Attachment 1992
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 04-27-2007 at 08:36 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Smile

Hi and Welcome Maureen. I ride and knit too(not at the same time LOL) I have a Trek hybrid and a Giant road bike. Love them both. I like to knit scarves mostly, don't have patience for big projects really. I did make a gorgeous shawl last yr- candy apple red in Lion brand homespun V shaped w/ fringe. It turned out well. Have fun test riding bikes at your brothers shop. I swiped a WSD seat off the Trek 1000 wsd for my Giant b/c I liked it. Pick what fits you and makes you want to ride. Good Luck. Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen Valley View Post
    Oh...and ...it's fun being 63, too!! In fact it's downright liberating.
    You can not be 63 -- that's gotta be a typo, right?! From your gorgeous photo, I was thinking more like 40, and trying to figure out how you could retire that young!

Anyway, welcome to a great community of women -- of all ages!

Emily
    (45 and holding!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

New Kid on the Block

I love all these responses....and who knew bikers were such avid knitters. If you all tell me you're blues fans, too......we'll just have to have a party or something. I forgot to mention that I'm a music freak, too.

I'm off test riding bikes today with a friend who suddenly is hooked.

More later!!!

Best to all..
    Maureen

Obviously I am a knitter too. I have done socks, hats, scarves, vests, felted clogs and sweaters although I have a lot of unfinished projects sitting around, especially now that I am riding more and knitting less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clogs1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1999  
    You should never stop learning: :

ooh i want a pair of those slippers! i need a new pair too.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

New Kid on the Block

Knitters Rule. No...Bikers Rule. No....Bikers Who Knit Rule. Oh...I don't know...I only know that I love both.

But I'm always in hot pursuit of the ultimate blues band. My idea of heaven is to sit in a tiny club with a 'tear at your soul' harmonica player....good bassist....and a killer lead guitar. Add to the mix...a swampy gravelly voice....oh oh...be still my heart.

As for knitting...it calms me. ( I tend to go full tilt most of the time.) The business of counting......concentrating...and the simplicity of creating something beautiful out of two sticks and a hank of yarn has always amazed me. I've made ski sweaters out of Icelandic yarn...shawls...endless scarves...just about everything but socks. I don't wear socks in Florida except for biking!! The slippers and socks pictured here are beautiful! This is one talented group of women.

I'm very happy to be in your company.

Maureen

Welcome Maureen . . .I'm sitting here with my almost finished shawl on my lap, trying to finish reading all these interesting posts.

Weather permitting, I'm going to meet my first TE cyclist friend tomorrow on a bike club ride. This is a great, very supportive site -- glad you found it.

And that is so cool -- having a bike shop in the family!

Mlove - LOVE the slippers!!!

IFJane - welcome aboard!!

I don't knit. Can't . I can crochet granny squares and attach them to each other..... that's why I took up beading. Much easier for me.....
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Smile

Love those slipperz I'm getting into felting, wool yarn junkie. I've attempted socks w/ DP needles and get all twisted. I found a pattern for socks using tiny circular needles a size 2 and 3. Will need to give that a try again. As for felting, I'm going to do a scarf that I'm finishing up and I'd like to make a tote/purse and put a zipper on it. Do my own colors.
    p.s. I crochet a little too. Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen Valley View Post
    Good morning, everyone.

Speaking of bikes....(and we were) I'm about to invest in a nice road bike. I'm looking at the Trek Pilot WSD series..and will be visiting my brother's bike shop in Minnesota to pick one from the herd.

Best to all,
    Maureen Valley

Welcome Maureen,

Let me get this off my chest first. I DON'T KNIT!!!! Never have, never will. Did potholders in 4-H though!

Awesome that your bro is lined up with Trek. It pays to have connections doesn't it? (as jeni laughs dating her LBS manager and heir to the family store!

Have fun trying out the WSD bikes. I'm 5'4" and currently ride a 2003 52" Trek 1000. The price was right, fit a little off, but I made it work. Had the opportunity to test ride a 51" WSD after logging about 4000 miles on my current bike, and it just all sort of clicked. I knew my next bike would be WSD. My new MTB should be here before Turkey Day (Trek 6700 WSD) and the new road bike will be a Orbea Diva. I'm sold on WSD bikes now!

Jeni

I'm new to the group and to cycling

Hi,

I'm new to cycling (or should I say re-cycling as I used to ride an old Schwinn road bike 12 years ago). I bought a cheap mtn bike to ride with my son through grass, mud, rain - so fun. I started riding out on the road and it killed me to go up the hills. So.....off to a bike shop I went. I ended up with a Giant OCR2 - and I am having neck pains. So - I will need to figure out what adjustments need to be made - already swapped out the stem for a shorter one.

I'm finding it hard to find other women that want to ride like me - I want to race if I can build my skills, speeds and knowledge. After 2 months on the bike, I am up to 15 - 25 miles per ride averaging 13.5 - 14 mph with max speeds over between 28 - 35 so far (these rides include alot of rolling hills, flat roads are hard to find here). I guess that is a sufficient start. Any suggestions would be appreciated - I did join a local bike club and started riding this past week. Funny story associated with my first two rides. It involves men! Apparently, I created quite a stir with the local experienced riders.

I love the posts about the clothes and the gear and the passion for biking - it's wonderful!

Sharon