Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Poolesville (or...?) ride, Sunday 11/19

To disable ads, please log-in.

Over in the Southeast forum, aicabsolut kicked off the idea of a road (or...?) ride on the morning of Sunday, 11/19. So far, we're thinking a short (25 miles?) ride, possibly around the Riley's Lock/Poolesville area of MD, beginning probably about 9:30 and ending before 1:00. If anyone's interested or has suggestions, let's firm up this plan.

"How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Count me in as a definite "maybe."
    I'm off all that coming week from work, and plan on heading up to CT to visit family, but I may leave on Monday, the 20th. A nice ride before I head out would be great!

Count me in as long as Mother Nature graces us with decent weather.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Over in the Southeast forum, aicabsolut kicked off the idea of a road (or...?) ride on the morning of Sunday, 11/19. So far, we're thinking a short (25 miles?) ride, possibly around the Riley's Lock/Poolesville area of MD, beginning probably about 9:30 and ending before 1:00. If anyone's interested or has suggestions, let's firm up this plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Count me in as long as Mother Nature graces us with decent weather.
    Yes, road please . I don't have a preference for which day on the weekend--I tend to do my rides on Sundays because my usual riding partner has an art class on Saturdays--not sure if the class is running that weekend for her.

That should work for me.. I'll post if anything comes up with school or job. 25 miles is about the longest ride I've done so far, and it was very hilly. Depending on the hills and pace, I shouldn't have a problem with this trip (did the other ride in under 2 hrs)....I'm just worried about getting lost! I've been slacking some on workouts but not too out of shape.

I am fine on country roads with low to some mid level traffic; in fact, I prefer that to dealing with Georgetown/FB and the multiuse trails.

As for the getting lost stuff, when we nail down a plan, if someone could PM me detailed directions about the start point, where to park, cue sheet maybe. I can get to any major way out of town (Wisc, Conn, Ga, beltway, etc. but up in MD I don't really know where I'm going).

The Peach Tree Loop that Nicole and I did today is a good one, though it was very challenging for me. And the starting point at Riley's Lock is easy to get to from DC.

I would definitely love to join everyone on the 19th, but either y'all will have to be willing to stop and wait for me occasionally, or we need to find a slightly easier route. The gearing of a road bike definitely handles the hills of MoCo better than my 'cross bike. (Uh, yeah, it was the gearing that made it a hard ride! That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it! )
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I would definitely love to join everyone on the 19th, but either y'all will have to be willing to stop and wait for me occasionally, or we need to find a slightly easier route.
    I won't drop you if you don't drop me . By the way, talked to my usual cycling partner today and she's up for the 19th as well.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

I wanna cry.

I think at this point I'll have to pass on the ride on the 19th.
    It's been about 1.5 weeks since I had been to my chiropractor, and frankly was about to give up on chiro in favor of "western" medicine (i.e., drugs) - but a week of that is offering me no relief, either. So, I'm back with my chiro for PT - major massage on my arm and neck. He thinks it all comes from my bike, with computer time thrown in for good measure. So...after all that...I'm off the bike for the foreseeable future (since I work at a desk job and can't give up the p.c. so easily).
    (In the meantime, my DH surprised me with an I-Joy massage chair! Ooooo, it is SOO cool!)
    Hopefully, I'll be able to ride after the new year...but then, I may want to do nothing but ski at that point! And I'm hoping against hope that I can have my LBS re-look at my fit on my bike and see if something is amiss. It was just re-fit to me after my rebuild, but I dunno. DH thinks I need a custom Seven, but Lord knows I don't want to spring for that!!!
    So...have fun on the 19th. I wish I could be there with you.

I found this less hilly, 22 mile route around Poolesville. On the cue sheet it starts in Poolesville, but mile 11.37 is just up River Rd from Riley's Lock so we could certainly start there instead (though that means heading up the killer hill right off the bat). Does this sound good for the 19th, or do the rest of you ladies prefer something longer &/or tougher?

Route Proposal

Hi,

Kali was poking around the Routeslip.com "Discover a Route" and found a nice route in Poolesville. It starts at the Poolesville high school and makes a 22 mile loop. The terrain is a bit flatter than the Peach Tree loop. You can check it out: Poolesville Loop (I copied it to my route list so that I could properly label an unmarked turn). The website is having a little server problem tonight so it may not be readily accessible. I'm definitely in favor of this route.

Nicole

PS I guess this post crossed in the ether with Kali's
    Last edited by HillSlugger; 11-06-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    So...after all that...I'm off the bike for the foreseeable future (since I work at a desk job and can't give up the p.c. so easily).
    DH thinks I need a custom Seven, but Lord knows I don't want to spring for that!!!
    So...have fun on the 19th. I wish I could be there with you.
    Ah, Regina, I'm so sorry. I know how upset I'd be if I had a physical issue of that sort that prevented me from doing stuff I love I hope that either the chiro or the regular dr can figure out the source of your problem, or that your LBS can help you modify your bike in some way. In spite of not wanting to shell out the bucks for a new bike, have you ever thought of trying a recumbent? I don't know if this is a long-term chronic problem for you or something new, but if it sticks around I'd think a 'bent could be a lot easier on your back and shoulder.

I know how it is to have your body all out of whack. I could really use some massage and readjustment myself.

I was concerned about the hills on the Peachtree Loop, but it's hard to tell. I don't mind long. I prefer flat, but only because I'm better at it (obviously), but what's the fun in just doing easy stuff? But I don't want to have to get off and walk.

Can someone look at this loop and tell me how it might compare? (I'm not good with the elevation thing). Seems harder than the proposed alternative. How is it compared to Peachtree?

A hill right off the bat in the cold morning isn't fun. But easy parking is nice. I'm flexible. Is there an easy way to add a few more miles onto the less hilly route?

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    I know how it is to have your body all out of whack. I could really use some massage and readjustment myself.

I was concerned about the hills on the Peachtree Loop, but it's hard to tell. I don't mind long. I prefer flat, but only because I'm better at it (obviously), but what's the fun in just doing easy stuff? But I don't want to have to get off and walk.

Can someone look at this loop and tell me how it might compare? (I'm not good with the elevation thing). Seems harder than the proposed alternative. How is it compared to Peachtree?

A hill right off the bat in the cold morning isn't fun. But easy parking is nice. I'm flexible. Is there an easy way to add a few more miles onto the less hilly route?
    The Peach Tree loop averages 50 feet of climbing per mile. I consider that a fairly challenging route. The Poolesville loop averages about 40 feet climbing making it a bit easier. This loop you're asking about has just over 63 feet of climbing per mile making it a quite challenging route.

We might be able to add a few miles to the Poolesville loop. What do you have in mind?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Whew! I'm glad it's not steeper than the other one (I asked a former Ironman competitor what would make a good beginner, low traffic route in that area. She warned me about the dangerous steep downhills but failed to mention most of the steep inclines! ).

Looks like you could add a bit on to the lower left hand corner of that alternate route. The 25 miler would be ok with me, though, considering that I'm not in as good shape as I was about a month ago when I did the Cville loop. But I don't know what the intersectoin/traffic situation is like around Poolesville. I trust the rest of you to make a fun decision.

I really need to get off my butt and get a computer, and one w/ an altimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    Looks like you could add a bit on to the lower left hand corner of that alternate route. The 25 miler would be ok with me, though, considering that I'm not in as good shape as I was about a month ago when I did the Cville loop. But I don't know what the intersectoin/traffic situation is like around Poolesville. I trust the rest of you to make a fun decision.
    Ack, that Charlottesville route gave me an asthma attack just looking at the elevation profile!

There's a very little bit that could be added on the lower left of the Poolesville 22 mile route. Instead of making the right on Mt Nebo at mile 16.5, you can continue straight on River Road. Where the road bears right at that little triangle, though, is a curvy hill that I've sometimes had to shift my car down into second gear to get up. I dunno if I wanna ride it. The other option is to make a left at Edwards Ferry Rd at mile 18.95, swing down and check out the view of the river (remember that from our C&O ride, Nicole?), then back up to pick up the route again. Either of those probably adds just over a mile. Starting at Riley's instead of in Poolesville also adds almost a mile.

As I pleasantly learned this past weekend, there apparently aren't as many drivers like me out in that area as I expected so the traffic is no big deal. We'll see the most cars in Poolesville (which is a tiny little town) and on the 5 mile stretch of River Rd (where there's a 50mph speed limit but it's fairly wide). And that area is soooo popular with cyclists that I guess folks out that way are used to us.

Well that route gave me a few panic attacks when I thought, "Am I going to have to walk? How do I stop and unclip uphill without falling? I can't walk. Must keep going. I'm going to die. Whew! Made it. Oh no, there's another one." There is one section that my friend calls the "racecourse section" because you can get in a big gear and really fly. It just about makes all the torture worth it.

If there's decent parking at Rileys Lock, then that sounds like a good start point to me...Shortens the drive time a little too getting out there. And yeah, would be good not to cycle up a hill you have to downshift to get up in your car!

Totally O/T question, but your comment about River Road got me thinking.. If you were in a city where cycling isn't too common but the only long routes with not too much stop and go are on some pretty major causeways with 45-55 speed limits (usually meaning cars are going at least 60-65), would you ride them? (nevermind that one of them has a drawbridge that probably means walking across for the grooves). Would it matter if it was 2 lane or 4 lane (easier passing)? And mostly flat? I'm trying to think about what I could do when I go home to coastal Georgia over the winter holidays.