Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Morghan is trying to make it but I dunno.

Divingbiker: I PMed you about it.

Cville = Charlottesville. Sorry for the 'slang.'

Anyone want to PM me their phone number in case I'm driving aimlessly around Maryland tomorrow morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Was that last route with a link *the* final route?
    Or, can I just smile stupidly and hold out my hand for a sheet?
    As they always say with my LBS weekly bike ride: "If you don't know the way, don't lead!"
    We've got one basic route with two possible starts:
    Poolesville Loop from Rileys Lock
    Poolesville Loop from Rileys Lock (direct start)
    The second route heads out of Rileys Lock and then takes a left directly onto River Road and up THE HILL. The first route crosses River Road, makes a small loop and then heads up the hill. In theory this gives you a little more chance to warm up and the chance to pick up some momentum before heading up the hill.

I've got 4 copies of each version. You are welcome to one.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    Anyone want to PM me their phone number in case I'm driving aimlessly around Maryland tomorrow morning?
    I'd give you my number, but I'm one of those weird people who refuses to own a cel phone. I think Nicole mentioned that there's no reception at Riley's Lock anyway, though.

If you can get onto River Rd either in DC or from the Beltway, Riley's is really easy to find. Here are directions from a hiking website:

LocalHikes.com C&O Canal: From Cabin John Bridge, on I-495, head north for 1.8 miles to exit 39A. Take exit ramp onto River Road (MD 190). Proceed for 11.5 miles to end of 190. Turn left and continue on River Road for .7 miles. Turn left onto Rileys Lock Road. Follow for .5 miles to end and parking lot
    Basically, you just stay on River Rd all the way until a 'T' intersection, turn left at the 'T', then Riley's Lock is the first left turn after that. We're meeting in the first parking area, so turn left again when you see the boat ramp on the right.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Great Ride

Thanks everyone for an enjoyable day of riding. Those hills really add up: my legs are more sore than they've been in quite a while (except from running).
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Great ride! Was really nice to meet everyone and put real faces to those avatars!
    According to my Garmin, we had almost 1400 feet of climbing in 25.8 miles! That one doozy of a hill on River/Mt. Nebo Rd clocked in at 12%. Wow. I think that's a record - for me anyway.

I was sure our route bypassed that hill and was surprised when I realized it didn't. As much as I was dreading it, it actually ended up being easier than some of the longer, shallower ones we hit. I was able to stand and grunt my way up it, which ya just can't do on those less steep ones.

Oh, I ran into the NVCC guys when I stopped at the Starbucks in Potomac. I asked if they had really ridden all the way from Poolesville and a got a "Yeah", then I said I had seen them earlier and got an "Oh" before they all pedalled away. I've now officially been snubbed by a group of roadies

Thanks for the ride, ladies. It was a good challenge and I appreciate your patience and humor. Though I am disappointed that gravel stretch turned out to be non-existent!
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

That was fun! Can't wait to do it again!

By the way, my Garmin says it was 13% !

So maybe when we do it again we can find away around that beast. I'll try to map out some of the Poolesville rides my team does from their cue sheets. Looks like some of them start from Capitol Crescent trail and then it's "2nd left after big bridge" and I have no idea what that means. But I can find somewhere to start.

If anyone wants to do Rock Creek and take a lane on the Parkway, There's often street parking available on Sunday mornings near my house (I live very close). And no 2 hr time limits on the weekends.