Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Shower in a bag

Kitsune06 Guest

Shower in a bag

To disable ads, please log-in.

I won't be having showers, either, so my parents are looking into something like "shower in a bag"... they're interested in "hoo-ahhs"-unscented aloe cloths that are like 'shower in a bag' but you get 20 for about $4. Not bad.

Anyone else use anything like this? I'm thinking about this b/c I really, really hate the smell resulting when one combines baby wipes and sweat...

It's alot cheaper to use soap and water. Before we had showers at work, I would go into the bathroom in the morning, take off my shirt, and wash my face and armpits with soap and water. Of course, washing armpits with soap and water over a sink is a little messy. And it was a bit embarassing if someone walked into the bathroom while I was standing there in my bra splashing my pits. But it removed the stink and helped me feel alot more civil. I think I just used bare hands, the soap dispenser, and paper towels at the time. But a wash rag and cotton towel would have improved the experience.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Unscented baby wipes are a gift from the gods. That is all I have to say.

The whole biking thing has me all conscious of waste so I go to a second floor bathroom out of the way and do the same. Washing works

I keep dove soap on my desk and wash my face when I get to work. That's it.

I might transfer over to showers soon though... It's getting to be quite hot in the mornings now that we're in November.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    You guys might think I'm nuts, but you might give this a try...
    For every season except hot summer, try wearing a base layer of very thin merino wool. Smartwool and Ibex both make thin 100% merino t shirts and long sleeve pullovers. Look for the terms "microweight" in Smartwool, and "woolies" for the Ibex. These things are magical! They are very soft and thin, machine washable and comfy, and they breathe. Sure you sweat into them, but it just doesn't get smelly...honest.
    I used to wear polyesther leotard tops and cotton tops for years, and even without biking they were smelly after only a day's wear. I would never have believed how I can wear a merino shirt for maybe 4 or 5 times biking and sweating and it still has no underarm smell- I just hang it up to dry and air out at night. Pretty amazing. Something about the wool does not encourage bacteria growth. And it's the bacteria, not the actual sweat, that create the smell.
    Perhaps you could wear one to work, change into a work top, and hang the merino somewhere discreet for the day to dry before wearing it back home again.
    Just another suggestion instead of sudsing up in the sink or forever buying wipes...
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    Part of my reasoning was that I wanted to just wake up, have breakfast, throw on bike clothes and get out the door- doing 'showering' at work, before work, because that's the #1 thing that would make me late in the morning. (early mornings, I sit there in the shower and rest my forehead against the cold tile under the hot shower and pretend that it's almost like sleep... I have a hard time waking up early sometimes...) Naturally I'd do a quick rinse-off shower when I get home... I dunno. I've just never commuted like this so I don't have a feel for the mechanics of it yet. *shrug* if you ladies say I can escape with a quick splash in the sink, I might be ok. I never really get 'odiferous' or 'pungent'... (that I notice, anyway) and never worried about it working with hippies, but because DGF is always all perfumey and hyper-aware of body odor, its starting to rub off on me.

Part of it also is the idea of wiping down with something cool and nice that I don't have to worry about rinsing off like soap. (I have kind of fair, delicate skin, so if I don't rinse soap well it gets irritated easily)
    Last edited by Kitsune06; 11-01-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Another 'washing in the sink at work' advocate over here.

I am the same as you Kits, in that I have trouble 'starting the motor' in the morning, so to speak. My morning routine is darn close to what you described: wake up, bathroom salutations, cram the grub for the day and my work clothes in my backpack, then out the door. Being an evening shower-er, morning sweat, if any won't smell (well, not on me anyway). Once I get to work, usually I will just wash my face, do a swipe with the pit stick, attempt to do something with my hair and call it good.

Oh, one thing that really helped me was to have my bike togs laid out and ready to go, my sandwiches or whatnot ready to be grabbed out of the 'fridge, and things like that done the night before. It saves so much time in the morning!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    You guys might think I'm nuts, but you might give this a try...
    For every season except hot summer, try wearing a base layer of very thin merino wool. Smartwool and Ibex both make thin 100% merino t shirts and long sleeve pullovers. Look for the terms "microweight" in Smartwool, and "woolies" for the Ibex. These things are magical! They are very soft and thin, machine washable and comfy, and they breathe. Sure you sweat into them, but it just doesn't get smelly...honest.
    I second this suggestion. I never smell when I keep that wool underlayer on. Now crusty salt deposits are another matter.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    I second this suggestion. I never smell when I keep that wool underlayer on. Now crusty salt deposits are another matter.
    That's right- after about 4 rides, I start to see salt deposits from sweating. That's when I wash them. (though considering my salt cravings I should probaly just lick them clean...eeew! )

I have a girlfriend who had two small boys who were impossible to get up and dressed for school in the morning- they'd cry and cry and be so cranky. Her solution was to bathe and dress them in their school clothes the night before! This works well for jeans and non-wrinkly casual wear.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

It's a lotion skin cleanser that can be wiped away with either a dry or wet wash cloth (or tissue) and it's great for sensitive skin. There is no need to try to rinse off all the residue because it's good for your skin. Who knows, you may end up with silky armpits.

I discovered it when I had my daughter. Her skin was so sensitive that even the unscented baby wipes irritated her skin.

Oh, and I love it for shaving leg/pits too.

My favourite get-clean-quick remedy where there's no shower is actually a small well-used washcloth (so it gets rough and very absorbent), as hot water as I can stand, and no soap. Rinse cloth, wring out, wash with it fast while it's still hot, repeat.

The hot cloth means you practically dry as you go, and no water or soap splashing around. Works fine on fresh sweat.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have been using Cetaphil on my face for over 20 years. I keep some at school for when I commute. It does work everywhere and you don't have to rinse. I also have tried those cloths that are for people who can't bathe. They come in a pack of 2 or 3. You heat it up in the microwave to get it to "work." I don't use them every time I commute, but it's an option. I'll usually stick them in the micro and let it "cook" while I am taking my work clothes out and getting any other bathroom supplies ready. They don't leave a film like baby wipes and they don't smell.
    I shower in the AM before I commute, and apply deoderant liberally. That way, when I arrive, I may be sweaty, but I don't usually stink! Washing up in the sink does not take that long, just face and pits, then wet my hair and run some gel through it.

This may have to change if I get the transfer to a technical job in the company....right now this works well because of call center job so I can pretty much wear whatever I want but.....

Night before: get bike ready, pump the tires, lay out the clothes, put change of shirt in the back pack.

Morning of
    : drink coffee, eat grub, head out the door.

Arrive at work: park bike in the office next to the other two bikes. I've recruited Robt. and Bob to the tribe. Head to the bathroom. If co-ed bathroom is available I have it to myself. Use REI camp towel or equivalent to clean up, just sponge off, towel dry. I also carry unscented wipes, sunscreen ....

Change into regular shirt. Still wearing either tights or more likely Zoic Capris, slightly pant-like.

At work: hang jersey on wire hanger, endure stares of co-workers, stare longingly at bike shoes under desk.

After work: During last call of the day (yes folks, I'm talking to you and I just want to get out the door and on my bike) provide excellent service while changing back into bike shoes. Leave spare Keens I wore at work. Log off, change back into jersey (in bathroom). Ride home.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/