Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: x-c skiing

x-c skiing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, I know it may be a little early to bring it up, but are there any other cross country skiers here?

I love having this place to talk to other women about cycling, but I can't seem to find anything equivalent for women and skiing. It'd be great to have some online ski friends to check in with once in awhile.

Kate

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Oh, we're here. I can think of a few...Bron, Telegirl, fixedgeargirl, Dr. Liz... and myself, of course. I know there are others...

I prefer to skate but will tour with my hubby and puppy dog on occasion. I also tele and backcountry ski, though the older I get, the more I like skating. It's like skiing and running combined, two of my most favorite things!

i am new to x-c skiing, got started last year. the snow wasn't the greatest to do a lot of it though. am hoping for some quality time this year. not good at going down hills, afraid to really. if its too steep, i slide down on my butt. i know i'm a weenie. i can go up without problems though. not sure what i have to do, if anything, to get my skis ready for this year. will have to ask around. i have waxless, so i've been told. i am actually planning stuff already, now that biking is slowing down.

me too!

I have been skiing classic for a few years, and last year my hubby bought me skate skis...i LOVE them...omg!!

the first time i went out i probably went like MAYBE 200meters...then the second a little further. my goal for the winter was to complete the 22 km road loop we have here..which i did. it took me just over 3 hours...which is funny because it takes me 52 minutes on the road bike. anyway, i hobbled over to the car when i was done and cheered when i did it...it was a warm beautiful day and the snow was mushy and soft (5 degrees C that day)...

i am looking forward to skiing and snoe showing again!
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/

That's trended a bit more towards downhill, though there may be some posts about xc. It's a new site, and somewhat small but seems nice. The site I like to frequent about all things snow is http://forums.epicski.com, but again that's trended a bit more towards the downhill and backcountry end of things (and snowboarding too).

I've always wanted to try xc, just for the cardio benefits of it, but it's rare when theres a day that I don't want to go downhill and I'm near an area where theres xc trails and rentals. The days I do end up having free I'm much too wiped to do anything physical and am more into recovering for the next day of skiing!

I learned to love x-country skiing in college - I went to school in Rochester NY so we usually had plenty of snow and cold weather to have fun in. Rochester was pretty darn flat though. Now that I live out in the PNW I still like to ski, but I don't know much, well anything really about the backcountry / avalanches etc. so I feel pretty limited as to where I can ski out here. First and foremost, its got to be safe and its hard to find areas with no avalanch hazards that still get snow.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I learned to love x-country skiing in college - I went to school in Rochester NY so we usually had plenty of snow and cold weather to have fun in. Rochester was pretty darn flat though. Now that I live out in the PNW I still like to ski, but I don't know much, well anything really about the backcountry / avalanches etc. so I feel pretty limited as to where I can ski out here. First and foremost, its got to be safe and its hard to find areas with no avalanch hazards that still get snow.
    The ski resorts have groomed trails which are low risk for avalanches. If you want a fine, decadent experience the Methow Valley has the nice fluffy drier snow. This place is IT: http://www.skisunmountain.com/

If you want to quasi-tour, Paradise at Mt. Rainier is wonderful and you can get the avalanch reports at Longmire. I love staying at Longmire for a couple nights and skiing up at Paradise. This is best in Spring though as Rainier gets a huge snowfall and visibility and conditions can be iffy. Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics is also beautiful and you should be able to find lower risk trails if you check with the Rangers. Don't deny yourself.
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

Being Norwegian, I started xc skiing about the same time I started walking. Still love going out backcountry skiing. I generally avoid the prepared trails, too full of people. I love just putting on my skis outside the cabin and head off into the woods in whatever direction takes my fancy at the moment. Plod along for a while, then find a nice place to dig a seat in the snow and take a break with a flask of hot chocolate and some cookies. The perfect winter day out. And now that Duck on Wheels has reported snow in Trondheim, I'm excited for Christmas and lots of skiing trips!!!

woo hoo!

Yay for all the skiers on the board!

I forgot to mention my favorite xc website http://www.skinnyski.com which is based out of Mpls., so it's midwest-centric, but they still have trail reports for all over the world.

Cheers!
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Quillfred View Post
    The ski resorts have groomed trails which are low risk for avalanches. If you want a fine, decadent experience the Methow Valley has the nice fluffy drier snow. This place is IT: http://www.skisunmountain.com/

If you want to quasi-tour, Paradise at Mt. Rainier is wonderful and you can get the avalanch reports at Longmire. I love staying at Longmire for a couple nights and skiing up at Paradise. This is best in Spring though as Rainier gets a huge snowfall and visibility and conditions can be iffy. Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics is also beautiful and you should be able to find lower risk trails if you check with the Rangers. Don't deny yourself.
    Yeah - we want to make it up to Methow some day. I've looked it over and it looks just beautiful. There are some groomed trails down in the foothills around Mt. Rainier that I've looked at too. They got some ski in huts available for renting that look really nice.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I'm in here, too! I love Alpine and Nordic, but Nordic is my favorite for the physical workout while enjoying all the aesthetic part. I love the quiet and the fact that there are generally way less people doing classic or skate than schussing down the hills.

I haven't, but have considered trying it. Any chance I get to go up with my dad I'm snowboarding, but he's going to be teaching at the mountain this year so I might have some time to myself to try the ol' nordic style. I've only been on alpine skis once or twice (never telemark), so it may be entertaining

I've xc'd since I was about 3 or 4. SKnot got his first skis right after he learned to walk. (about 2)

right now, due to twists of fate (me) and growing (SKnot), neither of us has skis.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Question old skis

Maybe one of you xc ski ladies can answer my question, since I always seem to forget to ask when I go to REI.

I have a pair of cross country skis that I last used when I lived in Massachusetts, which was 20 years ago. I think I must have thrown out the boots because I can't find them in the basement, so I'll need to get new boots, which I assume means I'll need new bindings, too. Is it worth retrofitting new bindings on the old skis? Is it even possible? I hate to buy new skis given that I'm obviously not committed to the sport, but I'd like to be able to go out occasionally when we get a good snow here in the DC area.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Maybe one of you xc ski ladies can answer my question, since I always seem to forget to ask when I go to REI.
    Tougher question than you think. Nowadays, XC skis are much shorter and there are so many different kinds...touring, "backcountry", skating, classic track, waxable, waxelss...I guess it depends upon what you want to do. The thing I like about the shorter skis is that they are so much easier to maneuver and turn (unlike my old E99s...remember those? Great skis but REALLY hard to turn). Plus there is more of a focus on matching a ski to a skier's weight (and ability to flex the ski) rather than length.

That being said, if you like your skis, just get new boots and bindings. Careful with what you buy...the boots must match the bindings, and there are a bunch of different "systems" now. Of course you can still get 3 pin bindings and boots (which is what I use for touring, along with a waxless metal edged touring ski). In fact , Sierra Trading Post has women's 3 pin boots right now. Chances are your skis have a 3 pin binding, which means you could just get new boots.

Oh yeah, I love to talk about ski gear.