Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many of you...

To disable ads, please log-in.

have ridden your bicycle while wearing a cashmere sweater?

V.

ohhhh.........

Not yet...but a great idea! Warm, soft and wicking....

Is there a story behind this post?

I have to admit I have ridden in:

a tiara (on more than one ocasion)
    a feather boa
    a lei
    a skirt
    a veil with flowers

(not all at the same time of course!)

I bike commute to work. It's such a short ride that I just wear regular clothes. Today was a cashmere turtleneck and jeans. It was warmer when I went home so I left off my bright yellow cycling jacket and I was thinking I probably looked fairly odd in my helmet, gloves and street clothes.

Cashmere is nice to ride in. I have a short uphill at the end of the ride in both directions and I don't get too sweaty. The ride to work starts off with a really nice, long shallow downhill and I'm typically racing along in the mid twenties. It can be a little chilly, so it's good for that too.

I tend to wear merino wool when I'm out riding to actually ride (not commute) in the cold.

Veronica

I have! For the same reason - bike commuting to work.

It can be tough to find a balance between the work clothes that can get a little sweaty, bike clothes and gym clothes... I end up carrying way too much on my back... I need a locker room and personal closet at work!

I had to add - generally there are 4 types of bikers around here:
    1 - the racers (usually out on weekends)
    2 - the messengers
    3 - the commuters (most wearing street clothes)
    4 - the city dwellers that bike instead of walk

I've seen women ride their bikes in those long pointy high-heeled shoes that are in fashion. I don't understand how that's possible.
    Last edited by Cdalekat; 04-19-2004 at 07:27 AM.

I use a rack and a bag instead of carrying things on my back. I think I'd really work up a sweat if I did that.

V.

I like to think of it as encouragement to simplify my life as much as possible!

I have some logistical issues that would make bike racks a hassel....

I'm not allowed to bring my bike through my office building's lobby. I have to go to the loading dock and lift it four feet onto the dock, then climb up the slippery (narrow!) metals stairs (in cleats!). So keeping the bike light is very useful.

Then, for the gym, I have to squeeze the bike through a tiny vestibule .... racks would probably make it impossible.

Man! Good for you for riding to work, even though you have so many obstacles! I'm lucky, I just leave my bike in the back of my classroom.

V.

I count myself lucky that I have room outside my cubical to leave my bike, otherwise it would be in the cubical with me!

Biking is just that much more enjoyable than the public transportation around here, so all the aches and pains are worth it.

Sometimes I even wish the ride could be longer (3 miles one way)!

And btw, I once had a teacher that bike commuted to work - thought he was really cool because of it!

I think it's terrific that you can commute to work on your bike. Unfortunately the roads and drivers here in Ft. Worth are not bicycle friendly. I'm afraid I would end up like some of the dead armadillos I see around here, road kill. Also, being a school nurse, I'm on call to surrounding schools on any given day. I can see a principal's face if I came riding up on my big bent.

I ride 3 to 5 times a week on the "safer" roads around my house. Still trying to build up my endurance.

Keep biking, ladies!
    They're cute when they're little. Then they grow up and they're just ug and dumbly. Quote from my daughter

BentforLife -
    Howdy! I'm your next-door-neighbor-city - Dallas! Agree 100%, I only live 7 mi away from work, so not too sweaty to commute but being a fashionable grille plate just isn't for me with BarbaraAnnJoBeth yakking on her cell, applying makeup/hair products, or yelling at the kids to shut up! But that doesn't mean I've not been trying to plan a route out to try soon. But plan very very carefully I just might!
    Enjoy our spring like weather, if the wind would just die down a bit more....
    tracey

Oh yeah, my original post (as I got distracted...) was I've ridden in a naughty nightie before for a halloween 'smut' ride. Thank god it was a warm night too

Strange biking outfits......

I have worn some strange things while biking, mostly on RAGBRAI.
    Bikini top, grass hula skirt and leis. That was hawaian day. Leopard top and skirt for jungle day. Gotta be careful with the skirts and not get them caught in the spokes. We had an Irish day and put shamrocks on everything. Where'd you wear all your stuff, pedalfaster?
    Leather pants, leather bustier, leather jacket and biker boots for a Halloween ride.
    Haven't done the commuter thing so no normal clothes that just seem a little different on a bike, no cashmere.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I haven't but I'll never forget the one time I was in Sienna, Italy and saw a woman in high heels, ball gown and fur coat pedalling away down the road

Re: Strange biking outfits......

Originally posted by annie
    Where'd you wear all your stuff, pedalfaster?
    (
    Uhm...out in public on the streets of Austin, TX. I have no shame! It was a theme, for awhile, with the wacky chicas I hung out with, to try to embarass the "guest of honor" at any event by making her don ridiculous riding gear.

The lei (with loud Hawaiian print jersey and Hula-girl socks) was worn at the Hilly Hundred--a more appropriate ride!

I have a secred fantasy to show up at a race (with a friend) dressed as the AbFab gals. Stoli bottles in the cages, cigs dangling from lipsticked-lips, Manolo pumps (clipless of course!) and Lacroix-esque "jerseys".

I'm "dating" myself, huh?

If you meant 'dating' in terms of AbFab, not at all - they are on reruns on Oxygen, now (I think!) - the repeats used to be on Comedy Central... don't get to see them much anymore... <sigh>

~Angie