Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wwyd?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fisheries biologist again. Invertebrates. (not those fish. jeez, booooo-ring!)

Gawd, I miss it.

I love PT, don't get me wrong, but the patients.... some of them are soooo high maintainence. Today was awful. Mammals are a pain.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I wanted to do the same thing as the people who saved me from going too far astray as a teenager - I wanted to teach music. That didn't really work out, so I moved on and persued an archaeology degree. That requires more math and science and chemistry than I could really muster, so I stayed in the anthropology realm but shifted to linguistics - along with a minor in Latin, I came close to but didn't finish a Master's in Archaeolinguistics. Doesn't that make me sound smart?

Well, I was afraid of turning my hobby into my career. I'd seen what that had done to my older brother; he was a prodigy as a teenager but is now so burnt out that he's miserable. But my straight-shootin' sense-talkin' mother put my head straight when I mentioned that. "Find another hobby," she said. "You're not like your brother who can't do anything else. Make clothes for a living, go to fashion design school - and when it's time to play, go ride your bike."

I'm a year into a bachelors program in fashion design, and while it's tons of work, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. If I could do ANYTHING, it would be to work with an existing company to develop a line of extended-size athletic gear (including bike apparel, of course!). I'm in love with technical fabrics. And if possible I'd like to help establish fair trade apparel manufacturing in Asia and/or South America - if we can do it for coffee, we can do it for other industries.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

I would love to be a really good psychologist, i mean really really good ... be someone who could make a difference, someone who could really help people get to the bottom of their troubles... but I dont think I ever could be

2nd choice - I would love to train guide dogs - something i've wanted to do all my life.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

I'm in my second-last semester for a BA in critical analysis in literature/media ("English"). I know what I don't want to do: teach, or have a desk job. Journalism at this point is not appealing to me, though I do have a knack for non-fiction prose.

I took the career tests... Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interest Survey. The Strong said I should go into law inforcement, across the board. Second choice was parks and recreation. What a cruel joke: I currently work in parks and recreation. The whole 'recreation' part? I'd rather it not factor in. Law enforcement: I call them in for backup when I'm tired of dealing with a situation. I respect what they do, but its not something I could handle on a daily basis. Too much 'general public' contact exhausts me, and the conflict... no way. I'd burn out and break down.

Well, the MBTI test agreed with me, resoundingly: "you should absolutely NOT got into law enforcement." It proceeded to suggest a slew of computer desk jobs. I was already all over that and minored in Computer Science for a while--no go. Not my thing.

Throughout my undergrad, I took a collection of anthro, psych, soc... too much research. Minored in drama--love the technical aspect, love carpentry and costumes and getting absolutely filthy. But the hours and the pay? I'm better off cleaning washrooms. Minored in music--again, hours and the pay... unless I become a famous rock star...

I want to be a cultural theorist. I love theory. I could be a professor if it weren't for the research. I just want to theorize in prose and say, 'forget language and forget research.' I would eradicate essays and theses, revamp the entire education system into problem-based learning models. I think the first part is called creative writing, and the second part is called med school. Former won't pay the bills.

Both tests suggested jobs in the medical field--I need an even balance of mind work and physical work. I'm interested in nutrition, kinetics. I certainly wouldn't mind working with athletes. My dream job might be vet tech for large animals--but literally, my current job cleaning washrooms pays more.

So I'll be headed into my fifth year for round two of the undergrad: science. It's the only thing I haven't tried. If that falls through... well, I want at least an MA in something, so I'll have to think of a research topic in English. Preferably something from THIS time period, about sex. My best writing is about sex. I always wanted to be a sexologist (ahh, but the research). A sexual theorist is the next best thing.

My parents have told me I'm a good candidate for med school--they know what they're talking about: my father is a physician and my mother is on the interview selection committee for the province's med schools. I have nothing to lose by applying, so I probably will.

I've mentioned money. Money in and of itself is not important to me, but it's required to support my sporting and equestrian habits. I want to live comfortably--more than $40 000CND. I have the resources to education to allow that. As I said--I want at least an MA, probably a PhD or at least some damned good technical training in SOMETHING. I'd be a great tradesworker. But my wrists won't hold up to farriery (see: minored in computer science--carpal tunnel). I always wanted to be a mechanic, but there aren't enough big words to sustain me.

I've got it down to a basic list of survival needs:
    -Horses
    -Running
    -Words with more than one syllable
    -Sunlight
    -Lake/ocean

So if anyone has any suggestions...

(Apologies for the novel--English degree. Go figure.)
    Last edited by run it, ride it; 10-27-2006 at 01:33 AM.

Lol

I was just reading this with DH next to me pondering out loud...what career would I want if I were not a teacher...

He says.....The wife of a fly fishing guide.....

That is why we have been married for 19 years...he is cute and FUNNY!!!!

Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by run it, ride it View Post
    -Horses
    -Running
    -Sunlight
    -Lake/ocean

(Apologies for the novel--English degree. Go figure.)
    After reading your post and looking at the above list, I thought Horse Breeding/Trainer might be an option? You are working both in and outside, never a dull moment, make decent money, you travel, and it involves some dirty work.

If that doesn't sound good ( I know you said you were not intrested in being a cop), you can do what my sister-in-law does. She has a great day job, but she also works part-time in the summer with her horse as a Mounted Patrol Officer. She is not a cop, but all she does is help move traffic and handle crowds with her horse. They both had to go through some intensive training to do this ex: crowd reading, techniques, etc. It doesn't involve violence.
    Havala

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by HipGnosis6 View Post
    But my straight-shootin' sense-talkin' mother put my head straight when I mentioned that. "Find another hobby," she said. "You're not like your brother who can't do anything else. Make clothes for a living, go to fashion design school - and when it's time to play, go ride your bike."
    I LOVE that! What great and wise mother you have!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Lisa said!

Re: the weaving. I've always wanted to learn. To start off with a small loom and give it a try. I don't have room for such a thing and probably not time, either. But in my dream future when we retire to a place with land, I'll have a couple of sheep and goats (I wish angoras were prettier to look at!) and will card my own wool and weave a few throws to pass down to my kids.

Of course, my mother is a fabulous quilter and has never sold any (she agrees with whoever it was upthread said once it became a job it wouldn't be a joy). She makes as many as 20 or 30 a year! I don't know how many quilts she has, but she intends them to all be divided between her kids and grandkids and I have no idea where we'll store them all.

So of course I'm sitting here fantisizing about adding to the dilemma!

Maybe I'll skip that idea.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Naturalist
    Nature-writer
    Copyeditor (I'm actually taking classes for this one)

When I was in high school I wanted to be a musician in an orchestra. I started college as a music major and decided right away that I wasn't good enough to pursue that. I switched my major to English.

I just want a job I can do while living in a cabin in the woods.

A teacher. Then I could spend all summer riding AND make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Hey, fellow weaver. Oddly enough, I do not want to make a living at weaving--I'm afraid that would make it a high-pressure, not fun, pursuit.
    Hey Salsa! I agree with you on this one, despite what I said... at our town fair in July I did weaving demonstrations. It was great fun - part of why I would want to weave for sale is to share my joy in it.

I was thinking more of occasional commissions (like the request I got recently for a shawl for a lady who has cancer)... and certainly NOT to make a living off of it! I would like, however, to make enough to pay for some of my yarn purchases!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Fisheries biologist again. Invertebrates. (not those fish. jeez, booooo-ring!)

Gawd, I miss it.

I love PT, don't get me wrong, but the patients.... some of them are soooo high maintainence. Today was awful. Mammals are a pain.
    My goodness. This sounds familiar.
    But, I'd stick with the fish. I have your fish-response towards inverts. Spent more time picking over lobsters than I can to think about. I've oftened "threatened" to go back to school for PT, but never did. So, I end up stuck in a fish agency doing management and policy. Boooooo-ring!

Quote Originally Posted by run it, ride it View Post
    -Horses
    -Running
    -Sunlight
    -Lake/ocean

Hey, RIRI, there are a ton of things you can do with a degree in English. Check and see if your school have a list of them somewhere--I know we do.

As an example, my brother is ABD in English (concentration in Elizabethan studies, read "Shakespeare") and after teaching for a few years and continuing to pursue the PhD, he finally went to work for the National Marine Fisheries Service (part of NOAA) as a tech editor, working on the development of fisheries regulations. Sounds a little boring, I know, but surprise--he gets to work with a lot of fishermen, scientists, and also some attorneys, and occasionally goes on a research trip. He lives and works in Juneau, AK, but they have offices all over the U.S. He loves it and it pays big bucks.

So that's just an example--there are probably lots of other possibilities. By the way, have you ever tried teaching? When I was in my 20s, I'd have told you I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out with pliers than teach. Then I got assigned to a teaching job for a year and a half (I was in the navy then), and absolutely loved it--helped me figure out that I wanted to teach when I got out of the navy. I don't mean to say it would necessarily be the same with you--just that you might be surprised how much you like the things you think you wouldn't.

And to quote you again:
    "Apologies for the novel--English degree. Go figure."
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Boutique dairy with goats and sheep that SO would graze and milk.
    Came pretty close with the kibbutz dairy - which was cows and someone else milked them.Loved it and miss it (carreer ended suddenly with a terrible accident) most days.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

As a child I dreamt of being an oceanographer...then I grew up and realized that I have a strong tendency towards motion sickness. Not good.

I have one DREAM job:
    action movie star
    (I know...I'm weird)... it would be PERFECT for me though...physically demanding, I get to pretend (one of my favorite things to do in the world), super high intensity for a few months and then I get to do something else (like another movie or whatever)...never boring..

My realistic dream job:
    Veterinarian
    (I say realistic because in about 5 years I'll be bored with my current career path and I'll probably go back to school to start over...again...so I'm not ruling it out as a possibility).