Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Exclamation Falling though ice

To disable ads, please log-in.

its that time of year again (for some of us) where there is ice. this little clip that was made by discovery channel canada, shows what to do and gives good information on how your body reacts when you fall through the ice into water.

http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

wow! you just never know when this will come in handy

you know what, I was going to make some jokes about this, but i watched it instead. I learned a lot, thanks for sharing with us.

Here in Seattle, we rarely have ice, but the water in Puget Sound is typically very cold (below 55 all year round) and i formerly believed that i would not last 10 minutes in it even though i can swim.

thanks again!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Good info CWR. Definitely good to know heading into the winter.

I was gonna make a joke too - wonder why you have that affect on people??
    Dar

i can be serious when i need to be. it just might not be that often.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

Good, cuz that's all part of your charm
    Dar

When I experienced my first winter in my DH's hometown in Maine, I saw what appeared to be an outhouse in the middle of a small lake just sitting on the ice. Sure enough, it was where fishermen set up "shop" by cutting a hole in the ice to fish and what ever else.... I was convinced everytime I saw one that it would fall through the ice so I was to afraid to venture out for a closer look.

Now I guess I can cuz I'd know what to do if my fear became a reality. Thanks Chick.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Cycl you got ice fishing all wrong. It's not about the fish... it's about the beer and an excuse for hanging out with the guys.

And yes, every year there are shacks up all over around where I live and northward. I've gotten used to that (they didn't do this in Illinois where I grew up, but of course there were no lakes there either, so they probably would have if it'd been an option), and even the snowmobiles (hey I've even done it a few times). What always freaks me out tho, is the pickups that are out there in say LATE MARCH? when the temps are starting to go back up.

But I have been thinking about ice biking/ice bike racing. That might be kind of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tygab View Post
    . What always freaks me out tho, is the pickups that are out there in say LATE MARCH? when the temps are starting to go back up.
    But I have been thinking about ice biking/ice bike racing. That might be kind of fun!
    OMG The first time I saw a p/u drive out on the lake I kinda freaked alittle bit. My husband got a good chuckle out of that one.

And while you ice bike race (sounds very cool BTW) I'll hang out in one of the shacks drinking Dos Equis Amber cheering you on!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Quote Originally Posted by tygab View Post
    Cycl you got ice fishing all wrong. It's not about the fish... it's about the beer and an excuse for hanging out with the guys.
    same as deer hunting!

i still think the coolest thing last year was biking around the outer edge of one of the lakes here. though two steps onto the ice, try to get on the bike and WHAM! tried it again, got clipped in and WHAM! eventually i got my balance and got around the whole thing. talk about hard!