Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt craving

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Salt craving

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone else have this happening?
    Ever since I started biking a lot, I find I crave salt more than usual. I sprinkle extra on my eggs in the morning, and it seems to instantly "satisfy" me physically in some subtle way. Is salt like an electrolyte that we deplete when biking or something? Maybe I should get a salt lick at Agway...

(P.S. My blood pressure is textbook perfect, and my cholesterol is very good)
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, sodium (salt) is one of the electrolytes that we utilize during exercise -- the others are potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Oh, and there's chloride, too. When we sweat during exercise, we lose a lot of potassium and sodium. That's why you might end up with a salt lick on your helmet straps or your jersey or your shorts.

If you're craving salt, you probably aren't effectively replacing your electrolytes during exercise. For anything over 60 minutes, make sure you've got an electrolyte replacement (power, pill, drink, or gel). Follow the directions on the label to make sure you're injesting enough each hour.

I"ve heard that people differ in the amounts of sodium they lose sweating. I tend to lose alot and prefer drinking some apple-flavored Clif shot mixed in my water to plain water during my 45 minute commute.

I seem to recover quicker too. I suppose I could also add a little salt to my 1/2 strength lemonade that I also use too.
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

I'm sure you are very healthy and this doesn't apply to you, but someone else may happen upon this thread... salt craving can be indicative of addison's disease (a family friend was diagnosed).

I did a quick google search which (I thought you might find interesting) turned up the gamut of possibilites - salt cravings should be indicative that one needs to balance their electrolytes; salt cravings are false because the average person gets about twice the amount of sodium that they need in a regular diet; and (the best) salt cravings are experienced by recent alien abductees.

I'm not so sure its salt cravings I have moreso then a salt addiction. I salt everything from apples to pizza to pineapple to cottage cheese to salsa. I even add boullion to soup as it doesn't taste salty enough to my liking. I've even had people give me salt as gag xmas gifts.

Yup - I have high blood pressure. Yup - I have disposed of all salt in my house as of last week.

Yup - I am having MAJOR withdrawals...........
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Quote Originally Posted by miffy'sFuji View Post
    ....salt cravings are experienced by recent alien abductees.
    That explains that "missing" 40 mile ride....

I do drink electrolyte replacement beverage when riding- usually a bottle for every 25 miles or so. But maybe I'll drink it during other times as well. I am generally thirstier than I used to be before riding bikes. My salt craving is a subtle thing. You bring up a good point about that illness though, people should be aware.
    Lisa

Lisa's Halloween costume revealed!

I just saw news video of a boy being chased by a wild deer. Every time the doe caught the boy, she'd put her front hooves of the boy's shoulders and try to lick him! It would've been funny except for the look of terror in the boy's face. The news people said the boy's sweat caused the deer to think of him as a walking salk lick.

At first I thought it was really weird... then I realized it was Lisa in a Deer Suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post
    I just saw news video of a boy being chased by a wild deer. Every time the doe caught the boy, she'd put her front hooves of the boy's shoulders and try to lick him! It would've been funny except for the look of terror in the boy's face. The news people said the boy's sweat caused the deer to think of him as a walking salk lick.

At first I thought it was really weird... then I realized it was Lisa in a Deer Suit!
    Man, there's NOTHING that can get by you!! (hmmm..maybe the dark sunglasses gave me away....)
    Lisa

I tend to not like very many salty foods, and so if I'm not careful I can get prone to mild hyponatremia. One way to tell is if your sweat is not very salty. If it's running clear you're probably deficient. I've often joked about needing to install a little saltlick on the shoulder strap of my camelback so that I can just turn my head and swipe it with my tongue every so often.

I find that a good salty broth like miso soup works wonders. In fact, between that and the carb/protein combination of sushi, I would venture to say that a Hedonist Trip To Sushiland is the best ride preparation meal ever. Screw pasta!

I'm a big fan of Morton's Lite Salt which is half sodium chloride, half potassium chloride. It's in most supermarkets in a light blue container.

Sometimes I really crave salt, too.

And I feel fabulous after I give in to it. I guess I need the salt then (either mentally or physically).
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I can totally relate. A couple of years ago I did a nine day ride in Australia in hotter weather than I was used to. While wanting a beer at the end of the day is very normal for me I also had the biggest cravings for a packet of potato crisps to go with it every day

I love salt and it loves me, and my blood pressure is on the low side. It's my understanding that if you don't have high blood pressure, then salt's not a problem. However, I wouldn't say I get *cravings* for it... though I LUV LUV LUV crunchy pretzel salt on cheese.

Normal to want salt

If you truly listen to your body, it will certainly tell you what it needs. I think your salt craving is the whisper of a healthy body. The people that hear this best are normal in weight and body composition. Food does not excite them, but they eat to keep up energy and hydration. Now, we are hard pressed to be this ideal, but athletic folks usually do this well. Some Salty drinks can cause nausea, but salt is easier to get in foods. Try this---after a ride/ race more than 3-4 hours long, have two large pickles. I'll bet your salt craving feels satisfied. I did a 20 mile run and had to put a bag of tostitos by the nightstand. Rock on, Lisa!

i just made a really bad stew that was way to salty. maybe i should've sent you some.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

I've had cravings to where I would shake salt into my hand and lick it to satify the craving. And I am referring to the times when tequila wasn't present.....
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo