Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hmmm, Day 1 is kinda scary too. Love that climb right at the end of a long day... http://www.routeslip.com/routes/26242
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Day 6

day 6 will be tough for sure. But it will be day 6. We should be in a groove and ready to tackle the big thing. Or not.

The problem is the showers in Leadville aren't very nice. Use the shower truck if you can.

sarah

The good thing about day 6 is that I'll be looking forward to the section along Twin Lakes. We stayed at some little cabins there a few years ago when we hiked Mt. Elbert, and I can't wait to see that area again. So, that will be my payoff for climbing Independence Pass.

Edit: Sorry to have hijacked a BTC thread and turned it into an RTR thread...
    Last edited by Pedal Wench; 03-26-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cindysue View Post
    Thanks for the confidence boost!

OK, I'm nearly convinced. Did you use a Sherpa last year? I'm on the fence. It seems silly to pay someone $200 to set up/tear down your tent especially when you don't have to carry it yourself, but it would be nice to have everything set up in a nice flat clear space after a long day on the bike and not have to get up early to take it down in the morning....

Also - Did you pre-pay for meals or go into town?
    I did not use Sherpa although it might have been nice. Hubby and I stayed two nights in a motel (that I arranged beforehand on my own, one day in Gunnison after the 100 mile day and then the next day as well, did laundry there); the rest of the time we camped. It wasn't too bad setting up and tearing down. One time, I just barely got the tent up without tying down or anything as the rain started pouring - just jumped in the tent to hold it down and waited it out. Make sure you have water proof bags. It kind of depends how much disposable money you have, the sherpa makes it a lot nicer.

As far as the food, I ordered the dinners and my husband had breakfast and dinners cause he needs LOTS OF FOOD. Most of the days, I was in early to mid afternoon so I just waited to have lunch then (I would get a sandwich somewhere or a burrito from the food vendors on site) There was a coffee vendor for the morning so that was good. Dinners out at the restaurant in some of the towns was a pain cause they restaurants were so full. I was glad to have the option of the dinner meal so I was sure I got enough food.

The fruit, pb&J's, etc. was so excellent on the rest stops. Great rest stop food

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    I did not use Sherpa although it might have been nice. ....
    Great info, SW. Thanks so much!!!!!
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

So...

Is the Bicycle Tour of Colorado the new incarnation of Ride the Rockies or is it a separate event??

clueless-spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Sorry, Spazz,

We completely destroyed a lovely thread about Bicycle Tour of Colorado, which historically takes place the week after Ride The Rockies.

They're two seperate events, although they tend to plan their routes in similar parts of the state each year. Rumor has it that BTC was started to handle people who didn't make the lottery cut of RTR. Both are great events - BTC tends to have tougher days, but include a rest day, where RTR is slightly easier, but no rest days. BTC has better food supplied, RTR has better vendors selling food. Both use the same Porta-potty company and both use the same motorcycle police support.

Sorry for the confusion, and again, sorry for hijacking the original thread.

No apologies necessary... Colorado is Colorado, right

educated-spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    - BTC tends to have tougher days, but include a rest day, where RTR is slightly easier, but no rest days. BTC has better food supplied, RTR has better vendors selling food. Both use the same Porta-potty company and both use the same motorcycle police support.
    more great info. Thanks! I should hire you as my personal consultant. I can pay you in lunabars
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

Hey CindySue... I'll work for Mojo's (peanutbutter pretzel and mixed nut).

mmmmmmm-mmm! spazz-o-licious
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog View Post
    Hey CindySue... I'll work for Mojo's (peanutbutter pretzel and mixed nut).

mmmmmmm-mmm! spazz-o-licious
    Hey -- back off! I was here first!!!!

CindySue -- have you discovered the "cyclist forum" on the BTC website. TONS of good info there. I wish you could access the archives from last year - lots of good opinions and advice, although obviously slanted towards BTC and away from RTR, understandably.

All three years, we've debated between the two rides, so that's why I've done so much research on both of them.

Either ride promises to be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    CindySue -- have you discovered the "cyclist forum" on the BTC website. TONS of good info there. I wish you could access the archives from last year - lots of good opinions and advice, although obviously slanted towards BTC and away from RTR, understandably.
    oh yes! I've been posting away.....
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

Let us know how you like the ride

I have a riding sister and brother in law living in SF. I always try to talk them into btc or rtr, but they fear the altitude. (No luck getting them out here, yet.)

I figure that if you train in the Bay Area you are more than ready for the climbs in Colorado. And the altitude, well, that could be an issue, but I suggest they arrive a couple of days early to acclimate.

Let us know how your training goes and how you handle the altitude.

Have a great ride.... Still a ways off, I know,

sarah

Quote Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
    ..... And the altitude, well, that could be an issue, but I suggest they arrive a couple of days early to acclimate.....
    sarah
    Thanks! I learned a big lesson in Utah last year during Little Red Riding Hood. And that location (~5000') was less than half the altitude at BTC (up to nearly 12,000'). I did not drink enough water and had a headache for three full days following the event. I was drinking lots of water after the event but it still took me several days to recover.

I arrive in Denver on Thursday, three days before the event and will travel from Denver to Steamboat the day before the event. I'll be bringing electrolyte capsules in addition to forcing myself to drink plenty of water during (and before) the event.
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

CindySue - Are you back? How did it go?

spoke