Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plus size rain gear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

I want to keep riding through the winter, but I can't find plus size bike rain gear (or even one of those yellow windbreaker jackets I see on so many cyclists) anywhere. I looked on the team estrogen website, and at junonia, but nothing (well, te has some rain gear that they say may fit plus size women, but I've heard that before). I'm a 1-2x. Grrr....it shouldn't be so freakin' hard.

Btw, I live in the SF bay area, if anyone has any bricks and mortar suggestions.

Thanks for any tips,
    Amy

Thumbs up

Hi Ace

I bought the Mt Borah plus size gannet rainjacket www.mtborah.com (follow links to Plus size). It is fantastic. They go up to a 4X.

It is extremely light, so it rolls into nothing, has a flap at the back which helps with air circulation (although probably comes nowhere near the good jackets in that dept)... but i used it all winter and i love it!

Thea
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived This is to have succeeded - Emerson

Burley's Rock Point Jacket WILL work fine sizewise.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm about to attempt to make one. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Ace,

You might consider the size XL Rock Point Rain Jacket. http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=21997 The sizing is VERY generous. I typically wear size 14s in regular jeans. About a 32 inch wait, 41 inch hips, 40-41 inch bust. I can get into the MEDIUM Rock Point. It's very roomy. And it's one of the reasons we carry the Rock Point - because it's the most roomy cycling-specific, womens-specific jacket we could find for our customers.

Regrettably, Burley has exited the apparel end of its business. We bought out all its remaining stock in women's Rock Points, but when they are gone, they're gone. Too bad, because it's a really nice jacket and there's huge demand for it.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the Burley in an XL, and I'll report back once it's arrived....I am always suspicious of clothing advertised as very roomy. It's generally not roomy enough for me!

Cheers,
    Amy

Most (ok, all) of my cycling clothes are men's at this point. It's really sad that many manufacturers do not cater to women over size 14. *sigh* I want to order some high-end shorts (which are padded accordingly), but probably am going to wait until I lose enough wait to get the women's version.

But, then again, I can't fit into most XL women's gloves either (cycling or regular), and finger length has nothing to do with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the Burley in an XL, and I'll report back once it's arrived....I am always suspicious of clothing advertised as very roomy. It's generally not roomy enough for me!

Cheers,
    Amy
    I promise Amy, I wouldn't intentionally steer you wrong. What might help quell your suspicion is to take a look at the Terry Plus size and the Burley sizing charts. The L&XL on the Burley chart compare very closely with the 1X and 2X on the Terry chart.

See Terry Plus:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/referenc...arts.asp?ID=12

and Burley:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/referenc...arts.asp?ID=51

Hope that helps!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Thanks, Susan. Don't get me wrong....I really, really appreciate that you carry a nice selection of plus size clothes. I think it's amazing how many manufacturers/retailers just don't get how many of us are in the market for high-quality plus size cycling gear!

I think it's amazing how many manufacturers/retailers just don't get how many of us are in the market for high-quality plus size cycling gear!
    I completely agree. It's one of the reasons I'm so sorry to see Burley exit the apparel business. They have the most generous cut, and after we run out of stock, I'm frankly not sure what I'm going to have to offer my customers in that size. I may have to get creative and look outside the traditional cycling channel to find an appropriate piece. Suggestions always welcome!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Argh. Just wanted to let you know Susan, I received my xl Burley, and it doesn't even come close to fitting...there's about a six inch gap around the belly. I generally wear a size 18-20, or a 2X. Sigh. I guess I'll just get wet :-)

Nah, I'll figure something out. But damn! I see people my size all over the place (and I'd like to see more of us on bikes). Why the h*ll don't manufacturers make clothes so we can exercise and not look like fools/get drenched???

Argh. Just wanted to let you know Susan, I received my xl Burley, and it doesn't even come close to fitting...there's about a six inch gap around the belly. I generally wear a size 18-20, or a 2X. Sigh. I guess I'll just get wet :-)

Nah, I'll figure something out. But damn! I see people my size all over the place (and I'd like to see more of us on bikes). Why the h*ll don't manufacturers make clothes so we can exercise and not look like fools/get drenched???
    try the mt borah jacket Ace... in their plus sizes. I'm bigger than you and it fits me fine. and it's really light and easy to roll up. I've just worn it all through winter and loved it.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived This is to have succeeded - Emerson

Thanks, Theav. I didn't ignore you the first time- I looked at the jacket and was confused. Couple questions- is it a rain jacket, or just a warm jacket? Also, are they men or women's sizes? It doesn't seem to say....

What size did you order and approximately what are your dimensions?

Your sister in plus-sizedness,
    Amy

Thanks, Theav. I didn't ignore you the first time- I looked at the jacket and was confused. Couple questions- is it a rain jacket, or just a warm jacket? Also, are they men or women's sizes? It doesn't seem to say....

What size did you order and approximately what are your dimensions?

Your sister in plus-sizedness,
    Amy
    Hi Amy

I realised you'd probably seen it, i just feel your frustration so was keen foryou to consider it!

It's not a warm jacket, it a really light (as in weight) waterproof? jacket. They come in sizes XL to 4XL. I found with thermals under my summer jersey and the jacket over the top i was nice and warm. It is windproof.

Doesnt have a lot of venting... ie not under the arms, but the bit across the shoulders is a flap and excess heat can escape there. But you would sweat in it if you get really hot.

I wear a 4XL cos i hate things too tight. I think my bust size is about 54in tmi for some... but that's just the way it is! i think my hips are about the same. so you'd probably find the 2XL is large enough for most people. I just have this thing about wanting to be able to sit down without undoing the zip (and my girth expands as i sit down so there needs to be some space!).

It's certainly not like many of those gorgeous jackets i see advertised and wish i could fit into, but it will keep you warm if you have layers underneath and it will keep you dry on top.

I have worn it a lot. I currently wear it over a summer jersey on the way it to work now (and it's our spring) cos the temp is a bit cold first thing in the morning. THen i just scrunch it up and ride home in short sleeves.

Hope this helps. If you find anyone who makes those other beautiful jackets in really big sizes, please let me know. I long to own one of those!

Thea

Hi Ace, I agree with you about sizing. I think they make women's cycling clothes only for those who are tall and very thin. I am very short, 4'10", and heavy (170). I count my calories, I exercise everyday, yet I can't get the pounds to come off. After 2 years of struggling to loose any more weight ( I have lost 50 pounds ), I just want to be comfortable. I like to ride and would like to continue to ride through the winter. This morning, my ride began at 26F. I am layered to the hilt, but all my clothes have too much "length" to them. I order XL in everything, based on the descriptions that say XL is 18-20, and find that they are way to snug. I am currently a size 16, but in exercise/biking clothes that is a joke and VERY FRUSTRATING. I have ordered a lot of clothes from Terry, but their 1x is way too long in sleeves and length, yet their xxl is a bit snug. I wish I knew how to sew on these fabrics so I can alter them to fit....Does anyone know where you can buy these types of fabrics and patterns to make one's own clothes (as if I am a seamstress or something )....