Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Clothes, including cycling clothes, are made for an "average" height woman, who is according to the bulk of the slopers and drafting books and industry web pages, 5'5"-5'7". Men's clothes are also built for an average height which seems to hover right around 5'9"-5'10". There aren't any actual standards, though, so it's really important to try stuff on. I have trouble with men's gear still being too short and not being able to accomodate my ample bosom.

I agree that there's a terrible shortage of plus size and petite size exercize gear (though I'm the tiniest bit less sympathetic to the short ladies, since it's possible to shorten stuff but not to lengthen it). I will find a way to help fill this gap; I'd prefer to work for a company that already makes cycling and exercise apparel as they already have the infrastructure to do so, but if I have to I will find a way to develop my own line. I'm saddened to hear that Burley is leaving the apparel biz - they're one of the companies I'd have liked to work for when I graduate from fashion design school.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Quote Originally Posted by sbctwin View Post
    I wish I knew how to sew on these fabrics so I can alter them to fit....Does anyone know where you can buy these types of fabrics and patterns to make one's own clothes (as if I am a seamstress or something )....
    Several of us have posted about making stuff. I haven't had much time to make anything, but I know Mary has, and somebody made their own bolero not too long ago...
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Lands End actually has some very nice plus-size outerwear. They're not cycling-specific, but I've had clothes from them for years and loved them.

Right now, they have a plus-size GoreTex jacket in a golden yellow. It's not fluorescent, but it still seems pretty bright.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...20943926116970

It says the hood is "stow away", which I hope means you can roll it up into the collar when you're riding and pull it out for walking around. I'm going to order one on my next paycheck and see how it works.

Unfortunately, they don't have any waterproof pants in plus sizes. Still looking!

I, too, find it frustrating to shop for clothes. Any kind of clothes, actually. Manufacturers seem to assume that all women have an hourglass shape, yet I have read that about 60% of women are pear-shaped. And some of us are more pear-shaped than others. There are also no clothes for plus-size women who are tall. You can get one or the other, but not both in the same clothes. I realize they can't make clothes for every conceivable configuration, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

I suppose we should be thankful for what we do have. I was tall before I became plus-sized and, as a tall girl, I well remember the struggle to find clothes appropriate for my age. What few tall clothes there were seemed to be made for older women. I wound up having to have most of my clothes made by a local seamstress. Anyway, both tall and plus-size women have come a long way in terms of the availability of clothes that fit us. Hopefully, things will only get better. After all, the American population is getting bigger, not smaller. The demand will be there.