Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Md suburbs of Wash. DC
    Posts
    2,131

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Nicole (and Regina, et al), I have to work next Saturday, but Sunday's wide open. If the weather's decent, I'm good to go for a road ride (though I'll need to remember to swap my tires back to the smooth ones).

    aicabsolut, bravo to you for getting out yesterday! When I finally got moving yesterday morning, I spent a leisurely two hours cleaning my bike and fiddling around with the brakes. Then I made the mistake of looking out the window at the trees being blown around and resigned myself to not riding after all.

    I'm planning to check out the new exhibit at AVAM up in B'more today, but I think I'm gonna take the bike along with me. It's a fairly quick jaunt from there up to the North Central Rail-Trail, so I could conceivably squeeze in a ride this afternoon. Though if the wind is gusty today, I'll end up paranoid that it'll blow the bike off the roof of the car... Y'know, I really hate wind! I could never live in Kansas.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

    Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Posts
    4,171
    Next Sunday is the 5th, right?
    I'm planning on doing a Ride Like a Girl mountain bike ride at Schaeffer with MORE (Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts) that day.
    http://www.ridelikeagirl.org/ and http://www.more-mtb.org/index.php?styleid=8
    I tried to do one of these rides last May, but crashed on Bike-to-Work day, was off the bike for a bit, and couldn't make it.
    I'd be up for some road riding on Saturday, however.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    MD suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Next Sunday is the 5th, right?
    I'm planning on doing a Ride Like a Girl mountain bike ride at Schaeffer with MORE (Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts) that day.
    I'm thinking about doing this RLAG ride also. Maybe I'll see you there.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Nicole (and Regina, et al), I have to work next Saturday, but Sunday's wide open. If the weather's decent, I'm good to go for a road ride (though I'll need to remember to swap my tires back to the smooth ones).
    My Sunday is wide open, too. I'd love to do the Poolesville loop, weather permitting.

    The wind kicked my butt today. I had planned a 30 miler but then realized how windy it was and decided on two 11.5 mile laps instead. I was beat after only one lap (felt like a 20 mile ride!) and called it quits. I couldn't hold a straight line and was afraid of being blown sideways when there was a car coming by.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

    2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Md suburbs of Wash. DC
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    My Sunday is wide open, too. I'd love to do the Poolesville loop, weather permitting.
    Nicole, would you be interested in trying the 25 mile Peach Tree Loop that Regina recently did? Or, maybe we could modify Janice's loop to make it a bit shorter. I could probably do 40 miles if I really pushed, but I'm not totally sure I'm ready for that kind of distance considering I'll be focusing on the traffic.

    And what time would you want to meet?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

    Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Nicole, would you be interested in trying the 25 mile Peach Tree Loop that Regina recently did? Or, maybe we could modify Janice's loop to make it a bit shorter. I could probably do 40 miles if I really pushed, but I'm not totally sure I'm ready for that kind of distance considering I'll be focusing on the traffic.

    And what time would you want to meet?
    That sounds like a good idea. Considering that you're going to be nervous on the road, and that you've not done a lot of hills I bet that 25 miles will be enough for you. It looks like it still has that hill right at the start on River Road.

    Meet at 9:30 so that we can be rolling by 10? Hopefully the goddess will grace us with good weather.

    Anyone going to join us?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

    2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,315
    A friend is visiting me this weekend, so I've got to stay close to home on my ride so he can just go for a run at the same time and we can do stuff before he flies out. Oh well yet again. Maybe *next* time. I need to practice hills in the worst way.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Nicole, would you be interested in trying the 25 mile Peach Tree Loop that Regina recently did?
    Regina,

    Are there any good spots for a rest stop, preferably one with facilities?

    Very little of this route corresponds to what I did through Poolesville with Janice; what are the hills and road traffic like?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

    2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Md suburbs of Wash. DC
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Are there any good spots for a rest stop, preferably one with facilities? ...what are the hills and road traffic like?
    I realize you directed that question to Regina, but it's my curse in life to be a know-it-all buttinski... This route is actually great for stops. There are two orchards along the way (both of which I think have Porta-Pots), and then it runs right through Poolesville (McD's, a small "cafe", Bassett's restaurant, and I think the fitness center also has a healthy food cafe).

    Based on driving those roads, I'm guessing we'll see the most traffic on that little bit of rte 117 between Old Bucklodge and White Store Rd, then on Peach Tree Rd, and as we cut through Poolesville, as well as a short stretch on rte 28. I'd estimate that the hills are about the same as Janice's 40 mile route. The one thing I don't remember about Janice's loop, though, is how many of the roads are undivided. The Peach Tree loop is mostly on shoulderless, undivided roads (I'll try to not be too paranoid ).

    And sorry for butting in!
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

    Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I realize you directed that question to Regina, but it's my curse in life to be a know-it-all buttinski... This route is actually great for stops. There are two orchards along the way (both of which I think have Porta-Pots), and then it runs right through Poolesville (McD's, a small "cafe", Bassett's restaurant, and I think the fitness center also has a healthy food cafe).

    Based on driving those roads, I'm guessing we'll see the most traffic on that little bit of rte 117 between Old Bucklodge and White Store Rd, then on Peach Tree Rd, and as we cut through Poolesville, as well as a short stretch on rte 28. I'd estimate that the hills are about the same as Janice's 40 mile route. The one thing I don't remember about Janice's loop, though, is how many of the roads are undivided. The Peach Tree loop is mostly on shoulderless, undivided roads (I'll try to not be too paranoid ).

    And sorry for butting in!
    No reason to apologize for "butting in". I only asked Regina because it's "her" route and I figured she would have the info. I had no idea you'd driven it. Are you reasonably comfortable with the roads we'll be on? They're quieter than what I'm used to but a whole lot different than your trails. I'd like your first road ride to be a good experience.

    Many of the roads on Janice's 40 miler were undivided and pretty much deserted of vehicular traffic.

    BTW what's the lowest gearing on your steed?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

    2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Md suburbs of Wash. DC
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I had no idea you'd driven it.
    I think I've driven just about every back road in MoCo and FredCo, and a whole lot of them in Washington, Carroll and Howard counties. I just love driving back-country roads. It'll be interesting to experience the Peach Tree area from the bike instead of the car.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Are you reasonably comfortable with the roads we'll be on? They're quieter than what I'm used to but a whole lot different than your trails. I'd like your first road ride to be a good experience.
    I should be able to handle that route. Heck, dozens of bikers ride those roads all the time, and as far as I know they've all survived . Any cars that pass us will be an element that I'm not used to, so I'll just have to pay more attention to what's going on around me and to maintaining my line. And if I do get uncomfortable, it'll still be a learning experience and therefore a worthwhile ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    BTW what's the lowest gearing on your steed?
    Ok, I always get confused by what's considered 'low' vs 'high' on a bike. I usually assume it's the same as on a car, so based on that the lowest combo on my pony is a 34/25. So far, it's gotten me up every hill I've attempted, though with some huffing and puffing (and grunting) and the occasional stop halfway up. What I might need to work on for road riding is building up the strength to get into the higher gears on the big ring and go fast. What's your average speed on your rides, Nicole?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

    Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Posts
    4,171
    We started the Peach Tree Loop off the loop - at the intersection of Darnestown and Muddy Branch, about 5.5 miles away. Since I took advantage of the facilities at the Starbucks in the plaza, and my friend seems to have the bladder the size of a ....well, I don't know, but she had no problems in that regard! Anyway, I didn't really look too hard. Sorry.

    There is a spot marked "food" on the cue sheet. That was a grocery store (and maybe more...gads, I really should pay more attention!) that had a big sign that said "NO BIKES". I wanted to take a picture of myself in front of it, with my bike, flipping the bird for all the world to see, but DARN IT! I left the camera in the truck. So much for civil disobedience! Anyway, there's probably a restroom there.

    The hills were not that bad. Either long and gradual, or short and not-really-steep. Traffic was light, but we left about 7 a.m. Some of the roads we were on, we were able to ride 2 abreast without annoying anyone, and the few cars we encountered were good about it. Overall, I think it was a great route. My friend is none too keen about riding with cars, and she enjoyed herself thoroughly. (In fact, at one point, I pointed out some black ice still on the road, and she thought I said "nice" and said "Yeah, it is a really nice ride!")

    Sorry I can't make it on Sunday - and Saturday I'll be trying to follow Doctor's orders about not riding. I make no such promises for mtb'ing on Sunday, however.

    Have fun. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Any cars that pass us will be an element that I'm not used to, so I'll just have to pay more attention to what's going on around me and to maintaining my line. And if I do get uncomfortable, it'll still be a learning experience and therefore a worthwhile ride.
    In my experience most cars will give a wide berth, but there are sometimes @ssholes who don't seem to move left at all. They seem to be the exception.


    Ok, I always get confused by what's considered 'low' vs 'high' on a bike. I usually assume it's the same as on a car, so based on that the lowest combo on my pony is a 34/25. So far, it's gotten me up every hill I've attempted, though with some huffing and puffing (and grunting) and the occasional stop halfway up.
    I think you've got that right, small gear up front and biggest gear in the rear gives the lowest gear ratio.

    What I might need to work on for road riding is building up the strength to get into the higher gears on the big ring and go fast. What's your average speed on your rides, Nicole?
    Since getting the new bike I rarely get up onto the largest chain ring. I can push it along around 20mph in the middle chainring. Yesterday, with a strong wind at my back I think I got up to my highest gear ratio and was pushing along in the high 20's.

    I usually tend to push myself hard but I'm still building up strength and endurance. In general I average in the 15's for flatter routes and the 14's for hilly routes (hilly routes still wear me out). When I was on the eastern shore I had wanted to hit 16 but ran 5 minutes too slow over 28 miles.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

    2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Md suburbs of Wash. DC
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Since getting the new bike I rarely get up onto the largest chain ring. I can push it along around 20mph in the middle chainring. Yesterday, with a strong wind at my back I think I got up to my highest gear ratio and was pushing along in the high 20's.

    I usually tend to push myself hard but I'm still building up strength and endurance. In general I average in the 15's for flatter routes and the 14's for hilly routes (hilly routes still wear me out). When I was on the eastern shore I had wanted to hit 16 but ran 5 minutes too slow over 28 miles.
    Well, if I can't keep up, just be sure to stop and wait for me every now and then

    So far, the weather looks good for on- and off-road riding. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

    Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,315
    I'm jealous! Those rides (40 miler and the other) sound like a lot of fun. So far, the most fun I've had was the loop I posted earlier .. all 2 lane country roads, low traffic (except for a couple mile stretch). So much better than multiuse trails! Hopefully I can join in sometime. Here's some info:

    I have it at the top of my to-do to stop procrastinating and get a computer. I decided to break up my HR monitor and computer into 2 separate units so I can take the HR monitor to the gym. I don't know how fast I go, but on that hilly ride, I averaged over 14mph (almost 15mph not taking into account however long it took me to stop to eat a granola bar at a convenience store). There's one section on that ride where you can go FAST... if the hills haven't worn you out by then. Hills are still hard for me though, so I'd be in the back too. My gearing is 36 small ring, and I don't know what the back is exactly, but I've got a shimano 10 speed rear.

    Looks like family is visiting next weekend after my high school friend visits this weekend. The weekend before Thanksgiving is looking good for me. If you go out then, mind if I join? If it's Sunday, I might bring a friend who is also interested in getting in on some women's group rides if that's ok (she lives in DC closer to MD than I do).

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •